Jan 16, 2020
If Marcus returns to VCU, I insist De'Monte Buckingham comes back to UR. On another note, I think Brendan Bacon-Medley should be awarded two free seasons, one for rona issues and a second for not getting to play more than a walk-on. Add a third for paternity leave. He's now a rising freshman.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
It’s easy for Nick Saban to say that when 5 star players fall into his lap. If stars weren’t important at all, then Alabama wouldn’t consistently recruit the way they do. When you’ve got 10+ five star and 10+ four star players in your class, then it’s easy to do well on the 2-3 best three star recruits that you can spend some time recruiting. You’ll do a lot better with that than signing classes with 25 recruits that are all 2 and 3 star guys.
If you have a chance, then you should listen to the interview. Easily available on YouTube. He didn’t always get 5 star guys either. It’s like Ol’ Roy saying he never pays attention to advanced stats. I’m sure someone on his staff probably does, but the overriding theme I have heard from many of the top coaches in multiple sports is this: advanced stats and recruiting stars are a tool. They are not basing their team and program solely on either. They look at many more things to evaluate players, playing decisions, etc.

Far too many people now look solely at advanced stats and recruiting stars without considering other aspects. For example, Player A has advanced stats that are better than Player B, so Player A should be on the floor more. There is so much more to playing time that just some advanced stat. We should recruit player Y over Player Z, because Player Y is 4 star and player Z is 3 star. It’s not that simple. So much more goes into it, and should, than just the number of stars. That’s the point I think both Roy, Saban and many other top coaches I’ve heard, are trying to make. We as fans want to simplify it into a stat or the number of stars, and it isn’t that simple.

Last edited:

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
As far as I am concerned, MSS gave VCU a top notch effort on and off the court. He exercised his RIGHT to play where he wanted to and of course there were voices around him providing their 2 cents. I would have loved to see him stay at VCU last year but...............
No doubt Texas Tech plays in a better conference that could help him develop (assuming he had more upside than what we experienced when we saw him with VCU). Game in game out the level of competition at TT far exceeds the A10 and the skills of the big men he plays against is better than a10, game in and game out
What I saw in the 4-6 times I was able to watch TT on TV this year was MSS still could not face the basket and shoot the ball, face the basket and dribble and get to the rim - his game was still limited to setting high pick n rolls, posting down low on the block, and getting a few stickback opportunities and running the court well like he did here- TT offense looked to involve MSS less than MR did here -
I seriously doubt MSS game will change much (he still is a high motor, smallish big that can give any team 20 minutes of solid but not game changing play) under their new coach (though I am glad he did not transfer again and become a basketball mercenary heading to university #3)
I am predicting this thread will reach150 pages -
Go Rams

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
As far as I am concerned, MSS gave VCU a top notch effort on and off the court. He exercised his RIGHT to play where he wanted to and of course there were voices around him providing their 2 cents. I would have loved to see him stay at VCU last year but...............
No doubt Texas Tech plays in a better conference that could help him develop (assuming he had more upside than what we experienced when we saw him with VCU). Game in game out the level of competition at TT far exceeds the A10 and the skills of the big men he plays against is better than a10, game in and game out
What I saw in the 4-6 times I was able to watch TT on TV this year was MSS still could not face the basket and shoot the ball, face the basket and dribble and get to the rim - his game was still limited to setting high pick n rolls, posting down low on the block, and getting a few stickback opportunities and running the court well like he did here- TT offense looked to involve MSS less than MR did here -
I seriously doubt MSS game will change much (he still is a high motor, smallish big that can give any team 20 minutes of solid but not game changing play) under their new coach (though I am glad he did not transfer again and become a basketball mercenary heading to university #3)
I am predicting this thread will reach150 pages -
Go Rams
And with your help.... we can make that happen !!! We need something
to keep us occupied this off season.

Good post by the way

Reactions: Ramdog

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Brad, I agree we have fans that bashed the guy after his decision to leave. I dont agree that there were a majority of fans who thought he was a "stiff" while he was a Ram. I just dont buy that.

Fans at VCU loved the guy and thought he could have helped us this year. IMO that is why some were pissed that he left. As to the issue with is family, they were extremely critical of VCU and disrespectful of our program. Let's not re-write history we were this guys best choice coming out of HS and it was VCU that helped turn him/provided the opportunity to turn from a very good but out of shape shorter post player to a very good MM player/Good P5 player.

Even at his best he isnt better than Reddic, Larry, Kendrick, Ren, Mills, Stancil (sp) to name a few and VCU is known as a guard school.

I do think we at VCU should end the hate. I do appreciate his play here and wish him well. However, I do not buy the narrative the he or his family were victims of VCU fans and their opinions.

The foolishness goes both ways and their family especially the uncle is smack dab in the middle and responsible for the bad blood.
Let the hate flow through you!

Reactions: RamStrut