Jan 16, 2020
Regarding strength of competition, Santos-Silva left an impression in 2018 on NCAA champ to be Virginia; The Rams' strong man had 8 points and 10 rebounds in a highly tactical game VCU led until near end in Charlottesville. In 25 physical minutes, MSS outscored Virginia's three biggies, Salt, Huff and Diakite, who had just seven points in 44 combined minutes. Salt said in post-game presser that he "couldn't move" Santos Silva. Despite all the victories VCU rolled up in 18-19, that was best team performance of year, with MSS a ringleader.

May 4, 2012
I don’t understand your constant negativity about VCU basketball. But maybe more accurately, I don’t understand you (coherence is not one of your strengths).
Read a little closer, its Rhoades i have a problem with.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I just think he doesn't want to play the 5 anymore. He wants to be able to put the ball on the floor and/or shoot a longer ball. Time will tell if he can do that during game time. If he can't, he may well ride pine. But he's a worker, so who knows.
IF he was capable of playing outside of that position he would have had an opportunity to at VCU.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
IF he was capable of playing outside of that position he would have had an opportunity to at VCU.
That makes sense, however if he didn't play the 5 who would have, and been able to provide constructive minutes, and lots of them without getting in foul trouble ? I think that's a legitimate issue.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
That makes sense, however if he didn't play the 5 who would have, and been able to provide constructive minutes, and lots of them without getting in foul trouble ? I think that's a legitimate issue.
I guess whoever's going to play it now.

Jan 17, 2010
I really don’t understand that take (that you responded to), its like people think the coaches just rejected someone who could space the floor and unclog the paint for drivers. If MSS could hit it from outside four feet, he would’ve been out of the paint, taking away a big and creating more space for our drivers.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Regarding strength of competition, Santos-Silva left an impression in 2018 on NCAA champ to be Virginia; The Rams' strong man had 8 points and 10 rebounds in a highly tactical game VCU led until near end in Charlottesville. In 25 physical minutes, MSS outscored Virginia's three biggies, Salt, Huff and Diakite, who had just seven points in 44 combined minutes. Salt said in post-game presser that he "couldn't move" Santos Silva. Despite all the victories VCU rolled up in 18-19, that was best team performance of year, with MSS a ringleader.
That was a good (should have been great) game and MSS played quite well. However, Salt and Huff are blockers in Bennett's mover-blocker scheme and not really called on to score, so I don't know that I'd say outscoring them is a highlight. Diakite is a different story, and in fairness 8 against UVA is like 15 against a normal team.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I really don’t understand that take (that you responded to), its like people think the coaches just rejected someone who could space the floor and unclog the paint for drivers. If MSS could hit it from outside four feet, he wouldn’t been out of the paint, taking away a big and creating more space for our drivers.
And in this case we have a pretty good case study for it with the same coaching staff with Justin Tillman. They gave him the freedom to show his stuff from time to time within the game plan. That is all you can ask of any coaching staff.

Reactions: VCUsummerof69

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I guess whoever's going to play it now.
Kinda dodging the question. The last 2 seasons who was coach gonna give significant minutes to who could stay in the game ?? That kind of made MMS play the 5, there was no other choice. VCU has been shallow at the big man spot for a while, meaning 1 deep who could play consistently.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Kinda dodging the question. The last 2 seasons who was coach gonna give significant minutes to who could stay in the game ?? That kind of made MMS play the 5, there was no other choice. VCU has been shallow at the big man spot for a while, meaning 1 deep who could play consistently.
I dont really think it is a relevant question because I don't think he can play the position, but if Coach Rhoades thought he could keep him here by giving MSS some time at the 4 spot and playing someone else at the 5 I am sure he would have done it. It would be better than not having him at all.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Treveon Graham, Justin Tillman, Mikeal Brown-Jones are the types of 4s we want in our system. Not MSS, he doesn't have the hands/handles or the shot. Not sure how that's going to change at any other school, but I look forward to seeing if it does. Whether he's 6' 7" or 6' 10", he's not a 4.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I dont really think it is a relevant question because I don't think he can play the position, but if Coach Rhoades thought he could keep him here by giving MSS some time at the 4 spot and playing someone else at the 5 I am sure he would have done it. It would be better than not having him at all.
I'm not saying he could play it, I'm saying coach Rhoades had no other viable options, whether he could play the 4 or not.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Read a little closer, its Rhoades i have a problem with.
So you would rather have the guy who went 18-15 in his first year at LSU, said at his intro presser that LSU wasn't his dream job, didn't get to coach an NCAA game his second year after cheating, lost to Rhoades his third year, and gave up 99 points to Vanderbilt? Gotcha.

Wade didn't even stick around long enough to see what Samir Doughty could do for us. That alone should tell you enough about him.

Last edited: