rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
He walked out because he thought he was too good for VCU and couldn’t get to the NBA because we weren’t good enough. That’s a slap to the face as well. No less after Rhoades and the staff tried to help him research his ultimate goal.
I think you and DL are a bit off base. The guy wanted to play for SS not Slick Willie and VCU wasn't enough of a counter balance to make up the difference.

Fwiw, why are people afraid of the truth? UConn as a basketball power is more accomplished and generally has better talent top to bottom than VCU. Larrier wasn't lying when he made the statement and he didnt make the statement to diss anyone. He stated he wanted more competition in practice.

While fans like DL might not like his statement his former teammates are still cool with the guy. If they are not angry or hurt why are any of us?

Larrier's not making the NBA had more to do with his health than his ability. The guy was like Marcus Evans he couldn't stay healthy and that impacted his growth.

Dude was a baller and I wasn't angry that he left. In fact I thought it was a good decision. It just didnt work out.

As to MSS, I wish him well and look forward to seeing him at play at T Tech and in the Big 12. However, I have been to Lubbock and I have to tell you Lubbock makes Bluefield VA look like Paris. (France). Who knows maybe he likes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Pretty tough to get a Masters in one year. Especially since he won't be arriving in Lubbock until after he graduates from VCU this summer. Plus, he will be drafted into the NBA next year at this time, so he won't need a Masters. :roll:

Half of your list sounds like some high school kid trying to pick a college for all of the wrong reasons.
Dude say it aint so. Unless one is academically challenged there are a number of Masters degree program that can be finished in 1 year. Heck, back in the day you could get an MBA at VCU in one year if you were a business major as an undergrad. It all depends on his undergrad major and his desired mastered.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Thought came to me from another conversation i had earlier today...
MSS’ performance next year will show a lot of our staff’s true colors. I hope MSS does good and breaks out but on the other hand it could reflect negatively on our coaching staff imo.
This is my comparison (as I attend USC and some friends and i were talking about our current team), knock it down for me especially cuz its not perfect as its a different sport BUT
Much like Jake Bentley the QB at U of South Carolina transferring to Utah, if he explodes for a good season there it could look bad for our staff as he was above average for us.
How negative would it be that our coaches couldnt get the best our of their player?
Just a thought
Different guys play better under different circumstances. That is why it is important to pick they Coach and system versus the school. Just because a guy did better in system B versus system A isn't a knock on the coaches unless there was some direct issue that was the cause of tension.

Apr 19, 2009
1) Focused on academics diligently to graduate in 3 yrs
2) Sacrificed to get in great shape and transform his body
3) Produced on the court when given the minutes
4) Graduating soon and earned the right to move up (and on) in life; it’s called advancement
5) Will get to experience Phog Allen, Gallagher Iba, Lloyd Noble, the new UT facility, TCU, and the Hilton Coliseum. Will play a lot on national TV.
6) Chicks are hotter/nicer and weather is better in the Southwest (if you like heat)
7) He can wear Red Raider gear proudly forever and walk around a sweet campus.
8) He can get a Masters at a Big 12 school
9) He’ll probably dance next March and maybe for a week or two
10) He can attend big time B-12 football games as an alum (eventually) forever
11) He’ll make new friends, meet interesting people, have new experiences, and create lasting memories.

No brainer! Good for him!
Good argument for every good player we ever have to leave.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I don't stay up on the social media stuff, but once you have friends and family bashing the coach or program, it's a big time distraction - both to the coaching staff and the players. Can't have it and you're exactly right - he did us a favor.
at the same time, it doesn't necessarily reflect his feeling concerning the coaching staff.

also, posters here are throwing around the idea that he tanked the last 7 ot 8 games of the season. This is absurd!

Go back and review his game log

16 pts 9 rebounds vs lasalle
14 pts 11 rbs vs umass
18 pts 18 rbs vs URI
28 pts 20 rbs vs UR
9. pts 11 rbs vs st Joe's
11 pts 6 abs vs SLU
16 pts 11 rbs vs davidson

Reactions: Valley drop step

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
1) Focused on academics diligently to graduate in 3 yrs
2) Sacrificed to get in great shape and transform his body
3) Produced on the court when given the minutes
4) Graduating soon and earned the right to move up (and on) in life; it’s called advancement
5) Will get to experience Phog Allen, Gallagher Iba, Lloyd Noble, the new UT facility, TCU, and the Hilton Coliseum. Will play a lot on national TV.
6) Chicks are hotter/nicer and weather is better in the Southwest (if you like heat)
7) He can wear Red Raider gear proudly forever and walk around a sweet campus.
8) He can get a Masters at a Big 12 school
9) He’ll probably dance next March and maybe for a week or two
10) He can attend big time B-12 football games as an alum (eventually) forever
11) He’ll make new friends, meet interesting people, have new experiences, and create lasting memories.

No brainer! Good for him!
If the semester starts on time he will get there in August. He will probably leave after the season in March. That is 7 months of his life that he will spend there. A guy from Mass isn't going back to the middle of nowhere Texas for a football game, hot chicks, or to hang out with his new interesting friends. He won't get a degree from there, and will probably never wear a Texas Tech shirt for the rest of his life. He's a hired gun there to play ball for a season. It's not as romantic as you make it sound.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2014
Dude say it aint so. Unless one is academically challenged there are a number of Masters degree program that can be finished in 1 year. Heck, back in the day you could get an MBA at VCU in one year if you were a business major as an undergrad. It all depends on his undergrad major and his desired mastered.
True. The master programs at VCU for Sports Leadership is a 1 year program.

Full-time M.S.L. students:

• Begin their coursework in the fall semester
  • Attend courses on campus
  • Devote their full time and attention to the program
  • Take five classes per semester
  • Participate in all activities and requirements of the program
Full-time students complete the following schedule over 12 to 16 months:

• Fall semester — 15 credits (five courses)
  • Spring semester — 15 credits (five courses)
  • Summer or the following fall semester — six credits consisting of an externship in the sport industry

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
at the same time, it doesn't necessarily reflect his feeling concerning the coaching staff.

also, posters here are throwing around the idea that he tanked the last 7 ot 8 games of the season. This is absurd!

Go back and review his game log

16 pts 9 rebounds vs lasalle
14 pts 11 rbs vs umass
18 pts 18 rbs vs URI
28 pts 20 rbs vs UR
9. pts 11 rbs vs st Joe's
11 pts 6 abs vs SLU
16 pts 11 rbs vs davidson
I didn't say it did and I don't really care. It's a distraction to the whole team and has a very negative effect. I'm sure Rhoades would have continued to put up with it, but now he doesn't have to waste his time or thoughts on it.

As far as MSS's performance is concerned, you can post all the stats you want, but he clearly wasn't as sharp around the rim the second half of the season. It's funny people post about guys who do great things, but they don't show up on the stat sheet. It works both ways - guys can do poor things and they don't show up on the stat sheet.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I didn't say it did and I don't really care. It's a distraction to the whole team and has a very negative effect. I'm sure Rhoades would have continued to put up with it, but now he doesn't have to waste his time or thoughts on it.

As far as MSS's performance is concerned, you can post all the stats you want, but he clearly wasn't as sharp around the rim the second half of the season. It's funny people post about guys who do great things, but they don't show up on the stat sheet. It works both ways - guys can do poor things and they don't show up on the stat sheet.
Yep something was definitely off with him the second half. I distinctly remember watching one of the away games on TV.

The cameras were on the team in the locker room as they huddled. MSS looked like someone had just stolen his car, kicked his dog, and taken his lunch money. He looked totally dejected, disinterested, and not part of the team. His game following that was for d*mn sure off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beirne and SWV

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Couldn't imagine what a departing player (or any person for that matter) would think if they actually read a vapid, cornball post such as this about them.

Internet donkeys who think they know all about someone’s motivations, future, and desires like they’re their friggin daddy or something.

Jesus Christ this musty nonsense makes me cringe just reading it.

“He’ll make new friends!”
My God, STFU.
1) Some of us have played D-1 sports (at one or more of their alma maters)
2) Some of us have degrees from multiple (2-3) D-1 universities (grad and undergrad; multiple alma maters)
3) Some of us have forged close friendships, developed lifetime business/social contacts, and carry fond memories from all of those experiences at different universities

MSS has the opportunity to do all of the above...........he might even get to meet/hang with Pat Mahomes and Kliff Kingsbury one of these days. Also, if he and his future family ever settle down in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin or other nearby cities, he can go visit his second alma mater often. Solid life choice. Exciting times ahead for him. Wish him the best.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Also, if he and his future family ever settle down in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin or other nearby cities,
Settling down in Albuquerque, New Mexico or Pueblo, Colorado would be more likely. I used to live an hour from Lubbock and getting to Chihuahua Mexico is easier than driving to Dallas from Northwest Texas.