PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Don't your last X number of credit hours have to be from the college you are graduating from in order to receive your degree? Pretty sure it's well over 15 credit hours.
yes, Likely will take summer school classes from VCU. Alternatively, one can request a waiver to the requirement in order to take classes elsewhere and have them x-ferred in, usually extreme circumstances. Would expect he takes online classes via VCU.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
yes, Likely will take summer school classes from VCU. Alternatively, one can request a waiver to the requirement in order to take classes elsewhere and have them x-ferred in, usually extreme circumstances. Would expect he takes online classes via VCU.
Hopefully at his own expense at this point.

Reactions: ssvcu90 and PRock
Jul 30, 2014
Guys like Marcus are the one I miss the most; love playing the game in a "blue collar" kind of way and having fun doing it. Maybe transferring with one year left, having to sit a year may help him reach his professional goals. Regardless, I'll always be a Marcus fan.
If he has to sit, that means he'll be 25 before he gets to play a pro game. The NBA loves younger guys if that's the goal.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I wonder if Gulf Coast paid for Gilmore to take summer classes to graduate or if they provided classes even though he was going to transfer. I MSS graduates at VCU it does help our athletic graduation rate...something to keep in mind. But also, if he was on the all academic team, he may be able to get a VCU non-athletic scholarship to take classes and graduate. Just don't let him in the BDC....although, I guess we let other former players like Larrier, practice in the BDC even though such transfer leave VCU because they want to leave our lowly program and find something they think will enhance their profile....sort of what MSS is doing I guess.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I wonder if Gulf Coast paid for Gilmore to take summer classes to graduate or if they provided classes even though he was going to transfer. I MSS graduates at VCU it does help our athletic graduation rate...something to keep in mind. But also, if he was on the all academic team, he may be able to get a VCU non-athletic scholarship to take classes and graduate. Just don't let him in the BDC....although, I guess we let other former players like Larrier, practice in the BDC even though such transfer leave VCU because they want to leave our lowly program and find something they think will enhance their profile....sort of what MSS is doing I guess.
At this point, he needs his undergraduate degree more than VCU needs him. I say throw him back into the general VCU population and have him pay his way like most other VCU students have to.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Univ. Kentucky twitter is all over him. I have no idea if the school is. I just have a very hard time seeing Kentucky giving major minutes to a 6'6" center, as much as I love MSS. Ive been (very) wrong before.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Well, if that is the case, he needs to grow a couple more inches. He played at VCU around the basket. But he is too short to play that position in the NBA (or most professional leagues). My guess is that is part of the problem. He needs to play out more, and we need him inside. So he has to move somewhere where he can show a different skill set. Just my guess. ;)

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I've seen two separate mentions of UCF which if true makes this quite the puzzling move. I would assume it'd be for a Power 5 school. We'll see. Big loss though.
He's definitely not going to UCF. I know this for a fact. He'll likely go P5 or Big East. I think Arizona State is certainly a school to watch in this and maybe even an early favorite (Sun Devils making a lot of big moves lately, have space/a need for him and also have Rasheen Davis, who brought Marcus to VCU, on their staff), but I know a ton of other schools have reached out and many more will. He'll have an endless list of options.

Dude worked his tail off for VCU and will graduate in under four years. You can't really ask for more than that.

I think realistically if last season goes better, he's still with us heading into the year. I think that rough finish though combined with perhaps some NBA feedback kinda made them feel like this was the best move to make for his future.

I know one inside thing as well, that Marcus said him leaving would give Corey (his good friend) a better shot to shine at VCU essentially going into a contract year. Corey averaged just 12 minutes last season (to Marcus' 27.2), so even when heading out the door, Marcus was looking out for a friend. Gotta tip your hat to that.

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
Well, if that is the case, he needs to grow a couple more inches. He played at VCU around the basket. But he is too short to play that position in the NBA (or most professional leagues). My guess is that is part of the problem. He needs to play out more, and we need him inside. So he has to move somewhere where he can show a different skill set. Just my guess. ;)
You've forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know. Do you think he actually has that different skill set?

• Sad
Reactions: KentuckyRam