SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Can’t help but also think this off-season will be challenging in player development with social distancing and all. I wonder when he will actually get to work with his new coaches aside from virtually. If he’s trying to develop any semblance of a shot, the Uphill battle just turned more vertical.
And getting to know your new teammates over zoom.🤷‍♀️

Reactions: RamStrut

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me and underscores why I think it was best for both parties that he transfer. He was only going to get to work on 1 of those three at VCU and that's dribbling and finishing with his right

"Any level of pro basketball is going to require MSS to be able to shoot 15 or more feet from the basket and guard 3’s and 4’s. Now MR style would put him in position, mainly from a hedge to in short spurts cover a guard but I dont see a scenario where MR was going to have him guarding wings for long sets. I also don’t see MR running a bunch of pick and pop to give him 8 to 17 ft shots"

Met MSS family the first time in Maui. Saw them and talked to them several other times. A really great and close knit family. I wish nothing but the best for MSS and his future goals. Having said that, it’s probably best that he transfers if he and MR could not agree on how to develop him further based on the NBA feedback. The process requires that at a minimum, they player(MSS) and the college coach(MR) be a part of the discussion. Anyone else the player designates could also be a part of the discussion. Any level of pro basketball is going to require MSS to be able to shoot 15 or more feet from the basket and guard 3’s and 4’s. Now MR style would put him in position, mainly from a hedge to in short spurts cover a guard but I dont see a scenario where MR was going to have him guarding wings for long sets. I also don’t see MR running a bunch of pick and pop to give him 8 to 17 ft shots(although when he was recruiting him, he said he wanted him to develop an outside shot)

I have no reason not to believe that this was just a mutual agreement that the two could not give each other what they need and both achieve their future goals.

I further believe they will be working to get BMB the waiver. That would also help balance the classes better as well And for what its worth, I expect even more movement buckle up...

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Given those 3 areas, the transfer seems even more related to off-court stuff than anything. We've got a great big man coach and obviously we put emphasis on defense so VCU could have/has helped with those.
Honestly, I just think he didn't want to burn his bit of eligibility on a major rebuild year. Can't imagine he wanted to go 1/4 on his career in tourney appearances.

May 5, 2009
Honestly, I just think he didn't want to burn his bit of eligibility on a major rebuild year. Can't imagine he wanted to go 1/4 on his career in tourney appearances.
Unlikely to be a smooth transition as he hopes. New atmosphere, new teammates, new coach, lots of unknowns.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
If he truly wanted to work on the skills that were listed he needed to transfer ...ain’t no way in helll Mike was going to let him dribble...holy crap ..talk about racking up the turnovers

I read somewhere that TT has a great dribbling facility ;)

smiley4284

Top Member
Jul 7, 2011
Makes perfect sense to me and underscores why I think it was best for both parties that he transfer. He was only going to get to work on 1 of those three at VCU and that's dribbling and finishing with his right

"Any level of pro basketball is going to require MSS to be able to shoot 15 or more feet from the basket and guard 3’s and 4’s. Now MR style would put him in position, mainly from a hedge to in short spurts cover a guard but I dont see a scenario where MR was going to have him guarding wings for long sets. I also don’t see MR running a bunch of pick and pop to give him 8 to 17 ft shots"
He could have worked on all those areas

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
In all honesty, I watched him warm up at every game in front of our seats on FTs. I think his problem is between the ears as much as anything.
He has just about the ugliest form I've ever seen. It's more than just between his ears.

His mechanics are in need of a 100% remake, unless he plans on going out for the shot put on the TT Track & Field squad.