RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I call BS on that statement. He was a double double player for us in both points and rebounds. He was also on a team with players that had all played together for several years, built chemistry and trust.
Many transfers are not top players on their new teams their first year out.....especially when they don't sit out a year and work with the team. Look at how many supposed great transfers we have had....especially grad transfers who get thrown into the fire with basically just 2-3 weeks of official practice to get up to speed with the team. In fact, we have two right now in Bacon and Levi.
Make no mistake, I am not rooting for MSS. But to say a MSS is not a natural bball player is just bull IMO. He is undersized, height wise, for his position as a center/forward and I am not sure he has an outside shot beyond 5 feet or so......we never used him that way. But he was extremely good for us. He was better pointwise and reboundwise than Mo.
I'm not saying he wasn't good for us but he does not have a pure shot, he is not very athletic, he is not a great passer. He's a work horse. He willed himself to rebounds, and put in a lot of work earning great play.

Reactions: HTTRams!

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I am sorry but no. No one on this team blocks out right now. Put MSS in this line up and West Virginia isn't dominating the boards for second chance points in the paint.
Nah, he gets 2 quick fouls, and then sits the bench the rest of the half...comes out the second half, and has to play with 2 fouls or he starts trying to move 40' away from the rim.

To counter WVU you'd need 2 big guys or shoot so lights out from the perimeter you'd spread their D allowing an inside opportunities

Reactions: IstanbulRam

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
You really gonna say a guy who played 4 years of high level D 1 basketball is not very athletic?
He for darn sure was athletic, it's why he improved so much from his freshman year to his sophomore year.

Apr 20, 2009
watching both the KY/UR and the TT/Houston games...both KY and TT seem to have a common issue...loads of [transfer] talent with little cohesion and "team flow".

But man...the announcers loved MSS when he was in.

Too bad his teammates didn't. I saw him set the high screen and turn and run down the lane wide open several times - no pass.

Reactions: ballers

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
TT fell way behind while he was on the court. When MSS went to the bench, TT made their run.

They also turned the ball over a lot less. MSS had 6 of the team's 18 turnovers. That's 1/3 of the team's turnovers. And posters were wondering why the rest of the team was not passing the ball to him. :roll: :lol:

Reactions: Ramdog

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
He did well in the first two games, playing against cupcakes.
Yep, classic high floor, low ceiling guy.

If that sounds like sour grapes, then good, my grapes are sour. Sour because of Eric Maynor, Brad Burgess, Troy Daniels, Juvonte Reddic, Treveon Graham, Melvin Johnson, JeQuan Lewis, Mo and Justin Tillman. Nine names for which MSS’ name would never show up in the same paragraph unless the heading was basketball players at VCU.

Nine guys who could have picked up stakes and spent their last year as a key or featured piece at a high major to chase a chip or improve their pro profile. All recognized and appreciated the investment this program made in them and understood that if they have the goods, this program would provide them the platform to show it—BTW—all got their pro shots too.

I am in the crew that saw MSS’ departure as a good thing, but still cheesed by the way it went down. To imply or in the case of Uncle Fester’s comments, outright state that MSS needed to move on to improve his pro profile is obtuse at best, but more likely, blatant disrespect to this program which has been beyond good enough for much, much better players.

It seems lost on the MSS crew that this staff had every bit the hand in his development as he did. They worked with a guy who though sturdy and reasonably skilled did not fit the bill of a modern D1 frontline player coming in—too short to post with the big boys and too plodding to run the floor. They worked with him to transform his body, to expand his game and to feature some of his skills. To his credit, MSS worked hard and improved every year—but he didn’t do it on his own. To leave the way he did was disrespectful to the staff and the program—for those reasons, i have sour grapes and not a fan.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Coach Scott did yeoman's work on MsSs development. He won’t get that level of attention from the staff at TT. They expect him to be a near finished product. He’s not unfortunately. He’s 6’6 maybe 6’7. VCU conditioning got him in to a semblance of basketball shape. Has a good motor now but he isn’t able to play above the rim. He’s not a natural basketball player. He’s a good athlete that got good direction at VCU. Don’t even start about his mechanics on his “shot”. Hard worker nice kid who has a crazy ass uncle. Good luck and best wishes other wise see ya

Reactions: mike7842