Nov 20, 2009
I see both sides of the argument of whether Marcus should be supported or wished failure. And good for you if you don’t care either way. There is no right or wrong answer, from my perspective...no different than when a coach chooses to leave.

Where I think that Marcus messed up on this (other than the uncle) was with his initially raising the thought of not playing his 4th year and instead going pro, to the NBA it was insinuated. That was pretty outrageous given the season that both he and team had last year. So then, when he’s ready to officially jump ship, he cites the transfer as being best for his development and preparation for the next phase of his career. I would have had more respect for him if he had said we just had a shxtty year. I don’t want to risk my last year being wasted as part of a rebuilding effort and I need a change in scenery. I think this would have been more truthful.

If Marcus truly left to develop his game for the next level, he’d better hope that the scouts and GM’s suddenly start valuing screen setting abilities over post moves and shooting.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I see both sides of the argument of whether Marcus should be supported or wished failure. And good for you if you don’t care either way. There is no right or wrong answer, from my perspective...no different than when a coach chooses to leave.

Where I think that Marcus messed up on this (other than the uncle) was with his initially raising the thought of not playing his 4th year and instead going pro, to the NBA it was insinuated. That was pretty outrageous given the season that both he and team had last year. So then, when he’s ready to officially jump ship, he cites the transfer as being best for his development and preparation for the next phase of his career. I would have had more respect for him if he had said we just had a shxtty year. I don’t want to risk my last year being wasted as part of a rebuilding effort and I need a change in scenery. I think this would have been more truthful.

If Marcus truly left to develop his game for the next level, he’d better hope that the scouts and GM’s suddenly start valuing screen setting abilities over post moves and shooting.
G, do you really need to hear it? It is what it is? I do think for a guy like him if he can rebound, and set screens maybe a team will value him more. Whats clear is he will never be a #1 option as such why not play and shine in a system where you are an option.

Fwiw, he owes you or I nothing. Its between Mike and MSS. Let it go, its all good and he isnt the first transfer at VCU.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I would have had more respect for him if he had said we just had a shxtty year. I don’t want to risk my last year being wasted as part of a rebuilding effort and I need a change in scenery. I think this would have been more truthful.
It's possible that's what he was thinking, but making this statement would have damaged the program and that may be the reason he didn't say it. Players leaving because they think there won't be a good product on the floor isn't a good look.

Feb 3, 2011
I wish him the best but of course disappointed he left. The way our guards and outside game is coming together, if we just had another big man that could tear it up down low. Love who we have but that is def our weakness this year.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I wish him the best but of course disappointed he left. The way our guards and outside game is coming together, if we just had another big man that could tear it up down low. Love who we have but that is def our weakness this year.
Unfortunately I keep thinking what this team could be like with a senior MSS under the basket. I'm trying to get past that idea because obviously it isn't going to happen, but ... can you imagine?

Reactions: Ramz22

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Unfortunately I keep thinking what this team could be like with a senior MSS under the basket. I'm trying to get past that idea because obviously it isn't going to happen, but ... can you imagine?
For rebounding, yes. I do think Levi is much more polished in his post moves and takes better care of the ball. Ward while still raw is a much better rim protector. We could use MSS for rebounding for sure and second chance buckets.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
For rebounding, yes. I do think Levi is much more polished in his post moves and takes better care of the ball. Ward while still raw is a much better rim protector. We could use MSS for rebounding for sure and second chance buckets.
I personally think these guys will be better without MSS. Ward and Brown-Jones will develop more due to more minutes and touches. And Bones gets to grow as the go to offensive leader of the team without having to defer to a Sr who is trying to get his. Plus we run and move the ball better.

With MSS have to satisfy a guy trying to get to the league based on his stats and slow down our O. Plus he'd use at least 30 minutes a game taking minutes away from kids who may not have the skill set to play but certainly have upside.

Again, we will be better for his decision and he will be better playing PF. Whether or not that leads to NBA, who really knows? I cannot see it but heck I am not one to try to squelch someone else dream.

Last edited: