Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
It’s easier to isolate your big with a 4 that can shoot from the perimeter.

Height doesn’t always matter that much. A tall 4 that can’t shoot and hangs around in the paint just clogs the lane and makes post ups more difficult.

Mar 1, 2015
He needs someone a little bigger. Vince is great but he won't draw many away from MSS in the post.
True, VCU is undersized in the frontcourt. But you go with what you have not with what you don’t. Sure a long athletic forward who can stretch the floor would pair perfectly with Silva. Don’t have one. But it isn’t a huge problem. What team on the schedule will really be able to take advantage of VCU inside dramatically? ---FSU if we play them? The two bigs at RI and SLU are OK, but they shouldn’t be that big a deal.

I like what a Silva/Williams frontcourt brings even being undersized. Scrappy and very busy. Play bigger than they are. Silva shoots 60 %, and those misses are usually soft that provide opportunities for O rebounds. Williams is sneaky, good instincts, and very good at crashing in with tip ins or tipped balls that lead to something else. Great garbage man. Silva is a great offensive rebounder. Lots of opportunities for points off of drives by the guards and wings even on misses.

I think the bigger issues will be inconsistent outside shooting and lack of size/physicality of returning guards and wings. They should be year older and stronger though. Frontcourt depth could be an issue, but that should be improved from last year as well if Ward can provide some good minutes + Douglass.

Reactions: mrgeode

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
True, VCU is undersized in the frontcourt. But you go with what you have not with what you don’t. Sure a long athletic forward who can stretch the floor would pair perfectly with Silva. Don’t have one. But it isn’t a huge problem. What team on the schedule will really be able to take advantage of VCU inside dramatically? ---FSU if we play them? The two bigs at RI and SLU are OK, but they shouldn’t be that big a deal.

I like what a Silva/Williams frontcourt brings even being undersized. Scrappy and very busy. Play bigger than they are. Silva shoots 60 %, and those misses are usually soft that provide opportunities for O rebounds. Williams is sneaky, good instincts, and very good at crashing in with tip ins or tipped balls that lead to something else. Great garbage man. Silva is a great offensive rebounder. Lots of opportunities for points off of drives by the guards and wings even on misses.

I think the bigger issues will be inconsistent outside shooting and lack of size/physicality of returning guards and wings. They should be year older and stronger though. Frontcourt depth could be an issue, but that should be improved from last year as well if Ward can provide some good minutes + Douglass.
Expect Douglass to be significantly improved on the offensive end.....line-up flexibility will be a huge advantage for us this year.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
It’s easier to isolate your big with a 4 that can shoot from the perimeter.

Height doesn’t always matter that much. A tall 4 that can’t shoot and hangs around in the paint just clogs the lane and makes post ups more difficult.
If you were responding to my statement, I didn't suggest that a taller player would necessarily have to be in the lane. However, a bigger guy would have to be accounted for on most places on the court. Given they should shoot or put the ball on the floor and make an offensive move. A guy like Vince at 6'5 won't get the job done.

If anyone saw the UCF game, we lost because of lack of size. Hitting the 3 was our only chance since post play was negated by their size.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010

I get that and 100% know that you go with what you have. I simply agreed with the observation that MSS needs help and we are smallish up front. All the other stuff while true, doesn't negate that fact.

We have a very talented team. Where we will struggle is against teams that have capable interior player with size.

Mar 1, 2015
I get that and 100% know that you go with what you have. I simply agreed with the observation that MSS needs help and we are smallish up front. All the other stuff while true, doesn't negate that fact.

We have a very talented team. Where we will struggle is against teams that have capable interior player with size.
That’s very true, I don’t see a team on the schedule who will be imposing inside other than FSU. Making outside shots will free him up. And that’s a legitimate concern.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
That’s very true, I don’t see a team on the schedule who will be imposing inside other than FSU. Making outside shots will free him up. And that’s a legitimate concern.
Making outside shots are a legitimate concern every game we play. LSU is smaller than usual but they have 3 guys 6'9 or better who will play. Purdue has five guys 6'8 or better. 4 guys 6'9 or better. All can ball.

We will be tested. However, smaller VCU teams have knocked off larger P5 teams before.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Making outside shots are a legitimate concern every game we play. LSU is smaller than usual but they have 3 guys 6'9 or better who will play. Purdue has five guys 6'8 or better. 4 guys 6'9 or better. All can ball.

We will be tested. However, smaller VCU teams have knocked off larger P5 teams before.
That’s right, we can be small and still fierce....It’s not how tall you are.....it how well you box out and how high you jump.

Last edited:

vcumcvram

Top Member
Apr 7, 2010
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/10/25/college-basketball-preseason-top-25-the-x-factor-for-every-ranked-team/

24. VCU: Marcus Santos-Silva
Santos-Silva is coming off of a season where he averaged 10.0 points, 7.4 boards and 1.1 blocks as the anchor for the Rams. Most people are going to think of Marcus Evans and De’Riante Jenkins when they think of the Rams, and justifiably so, but Santos-Silva is the guy who that staff thinks is in for a monster junior season. If he plays like one of, if not the best big man in the Atlantic 10, then VCU has a chance to be a second weekend NCAA tournament team.