Players Marcus Santos-Silva

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
It’s easier to isolate your big with a 4 that can shoot from the perimeter.

Height doesn’t always matter that much. A tall 4 that can’t shoot and hangs around in the paint just clogs the lane and makes post ups more difficult.
Really Heel? This from a blueblood which won a NC with Eric Montross in the middle? Was kupchak a stiff?

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/10/25/college-basketball-preseason-top-25-the-x-factor-for-every-ranked-team/

24. VCU: Marcus Santos-Silva
Santos-Silva is coming off of a season where he averaged 10.0 points, 7.4 boards and 1.1 blocks as the anchor for the Rams. Most people are going to think of Marcus Evans and De’Riante Jenkins when they think of the Rams, and justifiably so, but Santos-Silva is the guy who that staff thinks is in for a monster junior season. If he plays like one of, if not the best big man in the Atlantic 10, then VCU has a chance to be a second weekend NCAA tournament team.
I love the fact that we have an inside presence as compared to MR first year here (even with Tillman). The player I want to see take a big step forward is Corey. You could see him grow steadily throughout the season (initially he was mostly a blocker but then began to score more late in the season it seemed). If we can have relatively little fall off between the two when they sub in and out, that would be fantastic. You don't win with only an outside game or only an inside game. You need both in and out (that's what she said).

Reactions: McFingers93
Mar 1, 2015
Really Heel? This from a blueblood which won a NC with Eric Montross in the middle? Was kupchak a stiff?
I think the point is two post players, and then the defenders that go with them makes it crowded down there. That also takes away from cutting and driving to the basket, maybe the biggest strength of this VCU team.

Anyway, Height isn’t the end all inside. Montross had little actual post up game. Catch and dunk and garbage mostly. The best rebounder on the team was George Lynch, strong and athletic, but mainly did it with great instincts against and around much larger players.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Basketball isn’t played the same in 2019 as it was in 1993 or in the 1970s. Do you really need that explained to you?

There was no 3 point shot or shot clock when Kupchak played in college. Very few teams shot a high volume of 3 pointers in 1993, there was a 45 second shot clock, and post players were allowed to play a much different, more physical style. In 1992-93, UNC shot 452 3P in 38 games (12 per game). In 2018-19, UNC shot 791 3P in 33 games (24 per game).

UNC continues to recruit a lot of 6’10 and taller guys (and may have 6 guys that tall in 2020-21), but a guy like Montross probably wouldn’t be recruited by them in today’s game.

As it pertains to VCU, I don’t want 2 big men clogging up the lane. We have several players like Evans, Vann, and Jenkins that are very good at penetrating and scoring. They can’t do that as effectively if there are 2 big men from each team with a foot in the paint. I want good spacing, dribble penetration, and kick outs to shooters.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I think the point is two post players, and then the defenders that go with them makes it crowded down there. That also takes away from cutting and driving to the basket, maybe the biggest strength of this VCU team.

Anyway, Height isn’t the end all inside. Montross had little actual post up game. Catch and dunk and garbage mostly. The best rebounder on the team was George Lynch, strong and athletic, but mainly did it with great instincts against and around much larger players.
You’re 100% correct on what I want from our offense.

But you’re incorrect about Montross. He had a deadly hook shot that he could make with either hand. He wasn’t a 2nd team All-American in 1993 and again in 1994 and then on the NBA All-Rookie 2nd team in 1995 (in an insanely good rookie class) for just dunks and garbage plays.

Reactions: 757RamFan