Players Marcus Santos-Silva

Sethjax

Elite Member
I hate to say this but it’s very possible that there won’t be packed arenas for sporting events for quite some time...ODU has been dealing with this for a long time, but I digress...and my guess is our staff, being bright guys are preparing for all scenarios and so this would be a perfect time for MSS to explore all options..I think he is a little too much of a tweener for the league as it exists but at least he’ll hear the honest advice about what he would need to do to have a better shot at it...ball handling, shooting, free throws..lots to work on...still lots of time to work on it.

I'm guessing Marcus has informed Rhoades of exactly what he is planning on doing. We need Marcus and I think Marcus could certainly use us another year to work on the feedback he will receive during evaluations. Many players are doing this these days. Obi Toppin and Mamadi Diakite both did it last year and it worked well for both of them. It was reported that Obi was told he needed to improve his shooting range and he did. Assuming Marcus returns I imagine we will see him taking shots from a lot further out than anything we've ever seen. You cannot play in the NBA in this era without being able to score beyond 6 feet from the basket. Maybe some nba coaches can help improve his free throw shooting percentage.

I love Marcus and wish him the very best. I also think his time at VCU isn't over.
Yeah, a lot of players declare at come back. In Silva’s case it doesn’t take Jerry West to notice he doesn’t have a jump shot, or something resembling one.

I would think going through the experience, familiarizing yourself with the process, access to people would positively impact him as a player, and be a cool experience.

That said, is there anything for him here? A young team and young guards that may struggle getting him the ball, opponents focused on stopping him etc. 2 of his 3 seasons here have been pretty poor compared to what he signed up for.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
He could end on going the G-League Route or Playing overseas!.

At any rate we have room for a center now.

Ramdog

Elite Member
That said, is there anything for him here?
A 25M practice facility open 24 hrs to cater to his every need....staffed with D1basketball coaches to evaluate his progress...strength coach , nutritionists, tutors.. They will do his laundry...feed him ...give him a rent free place to live and any transportation that he may need...give him gear to wear etc etc etc. and they will pay him a stipend as well as gets ready for the next level.

Other than that ...no reason to stay

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
If MSS graduates in May or anytime this summer, he can also grad transfer (which I suspect is also on his mind; hence the fairly early announcement and "official" thank you -- to "get it out of the way").

Same for Golden, Francis, Sherod at UR..........and frankly, any kid with remaining eligibility who is set to graduate between now and late July.

We'll be hearing a lot more about this (transfers/grad transfers) during April. It's still early in the process (this is/was Final 4 weekend). The carousel is just beginning.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
would love to have MSS back next season of course but if the pro game is an option in any capacity then it is worth exploring

Reactions: Nic
A 25M practice facility open 24 hrs to cater to his every need....staffed with D1basketball coaches to evaluate his progress...strength coach , nutritionists, tutors.. They will do his laundry...feed him ...give him a rent free place to live and any transportation that he may need...give him gear to wear etc etc etc. and they will pay him a stipend as well as gets ready for the next level.

Other than that ...no reason to stay
Basically, things any top 50 (maybe more) program has. He may come back, he may not. It wouldn’t be difficult to find another program that would further His basketball Career better. Maybe P5 competition, maybe a different style of play? Maybe he is done with it, glad for the experience, and ready for another one.

VCU85

Elite Member
would love to have MSS back next season of course but if the pro game is an option in any capacity then it is worth exploring
I love MSS, do you really think he has any chance at an NBA team ?

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
I love MSS, do you really think he has any chance at an NBA team ?

the NBA isn't the only way to play professional ball, but you won't know what opportunities exist in that space until you put yourself out there 🤷‍♂️

VCU85

Elite Member
They've been very much interested, for months.
I am very happy to hear that. Interested is one thing, being ready for NBA play is another though. I'm betting that interest was based on his previous growth, intelligence, and what they'd like to see his senior year. Like I said, I'm big big MSS fan, have been since his freshman year, an d said I expect to see some big things form him, but he still has absolutely no outside shot, and the last time I checked the NBA requires an outside shot game currently.

He's nowhere near big enough to be an inside presence, and his early foul issues started coming back this season. I'm still looking forward to him having a big senior year, hopefully here at VCU, but he needs to be looking out for what's best for him obviously.

VCU85

Elite Member
the NBA isn't the only way to play professional ball, but you won't know what opportunities exist in that space until you put yourself out there 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I know that, but he wants the NBA it's right there in his quote. Maybe he thinks the G league would get him there ?? I don't blame him for this move, I'm merely giving my opinion.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
"Sources" in this case aren't out there for the grabbing, as should be expected. I'd have some readily available, I'm not the kind of person who takes snapshots of text convos from asst coaches and trainers from two NBA teams on someone's phone when shown to me on multiple occasions. Trust me, I also don't make overtly false claims online. But I know which two teams which have been inquiring.

Last edited: