Players Marcus Santos-Silva

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Santos-Silva and many other players are taking this course of action. There's absolutely no downside to declaring for the NBA Draft. Best case, he impresses at the combine. Otherwise, he gets feedback on his game and professional connections that will pay dividends in 2020-21 and beyond.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I hope Marcus is getting sound advice regarding his immediate future. It sounds like someone outside of the VCU basketball family is in his ear big time. There are only two rounds to the NBA draft. There are 30 NBA teams, so there are 60 players that will be drafted. Frankly, I don't see the odds being in his favor considering the number of players that have decided to enter the draft this year. Without an outside shot to his game, his size (6'7") is going to be a problem regarding making the NBA. Being totally frank, Marcus wasn't even first, second or third team all-conference in the A-10 this year and yet he wants to test the NBA waters?

I wish him the best, but I honestly think he needs another year of college basketball, and then I still don't see him making the NBA unless he develops an outside shot to compensate for his lack of size.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I want him to return.
I do, too. 🙂 He's gonna do the next logical step for his career, though... what will be most likely to get him to where he needs to be. I'm not sure about any potential ifs right now, but he knows he's got a home here where he's loved. He and his family would probably be saying the same thing right now, I'm sure- they're all working to see Marcus make the right moves, that's all they're trying to do right now.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I don't think it's that difficult to discern what's happening here. MSS isn't going to the NBA next year. However, by throwing his name in the mix like this he'll get valuable feedback about what he has to do to take the next step. Unfortunately for us, next year we're going to be very young and inexperienced, we don't have a true 4 that would allow MSS to work on his jump shot, and our coaching staff is...let's just say...unproven.

I hate to say it, but since MSS graduates in June, I fully expect him to transfer to a program that will best help him develop those skills necessary to succeed at the next level. It's a shame that this is where we are a program.

/prepares to duck from the hateful responses

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I don't think it's that difficult to discern what's happening here. MSS isn't going to the NBA next year. However, by throwing his name in the mix like this he'll get valuable feedback about what he has to do to take the next step. Unfortunately for us, next year we're going to be very young and inexperienced, we don't have a true 4 that would allow MSS to work on his jump shot, and our coaching staff is...let's just say...unproven.

I hate to say it, but since MSS graduates in June, I fully expect him to transfer to a program that will best help him develop those skills necessary to succeed at the next level. It's a shame that this is where we are a program.

/prepares to duck from the hateful responses
I mean it is fine to have an opinion on it but to end it with "that it's a shame that is where we are as a program" is odd since it is your opinion.

I guess you wanted a reaction so you could duck.

May 4, 2012
I love MSS, do you really think he has any chance at an NBA team ?
Honestly, no but thats not the goal. Does he have a passport ? Lots of professional options out there. This just defines which ones he matches up with.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
It's a shame that this is where we are a program.
No hate here, not even any shade, just understanding.
We're a midmajor, that's the way it is and has been, for quite some time.
Should the NBA thing not go golden, he might not but he might hop at the chance to step up without sitting out, if one exists, as one would expect.
Just wanna send out to our crew here, many players current and future are reaching out wishing him luck, as they would hope others would do for them, as we should be doing. Just some of his program support:
Untitled-1.jpg

We love the big guy.
Gonna go with the right thing and set the guy free.
Lord knows he's earned it.
This is a time to celebrate, we should wish this for our players. It elevates this program in many ways,. As he rises, we rise.

If you want to keep something precious
You got to lock it up and throw away the key
If you want to hold onto your possession
Don't even think about me
If you love somebody
If you love someone set them free

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Santos-Silva and many other players are taking this course of action. There's absolutely no downside to declaring for the NBA Draft. Best case, he impresses at the combine. Otherwise, he gets feedback on his game and professional connections that will pay dividends in 2020-21 and beyond.
The NCAA takes a lot of criticism but that was a great rule change. I used to feel awful for the guys who declared for the pros in high school or left college early and didn’t even get drafted.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Honestly, no but thats not the goal. Does he have a passport ? Lots of professional options out there. This just defines which ones he matches up with.
His dream is the NBA, it's right there in his post.