Players Marcus Santos-Silva

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
It seems some are missing the purpose of getting feedback. Most non-elite, sure thing prospects do this to get feed back. Then they come back to college and work on that stuff for next year

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
I don't think it's that difficult to discern what's happening here. MSS isn't going to the NBA next year. However, by throwing his name in the mix like this he'll get valuable feedback about what he has to do to take the next step. Unfortunately for us, next year we're going to be very young and inexperienced, we don't have a true 4 that would allow MSS to work on his jump shot, and our coaching staff is...let's just say...unproven.

I hate to say it, but since MSS graduates in June, I fully expect him to transfer to a program that will best help him develop those skills necessary to succeed at the next level. It's a shame that this is where we are a program.

/prepares to duck from the hateful responses
No hate, your response is well thought out and I think your assessment is correct. It’s unfortunate we don’t have that 5 which would allow him to focus on the work he needs to do at the 4. Like the rest of the world, our program is in the midst of a material upheaval and it may take us a few years to get back to where we were. Is mike the guy who gets us there? I hope so. If not the journey will just take us that much longer. But I do have faith we will get there and surpass our old standard of what is and isn’t an acceptable outcome.

Dec 16, 2013
It seems some are missing the purpose of getting feedback. Most non-elite, sure thing prospects do this to get feed back. Then they come back to college and work on that stuff for next year

Do we really think there will be the NBA camp for these guys to play this spring/summer to be fully evaluated? IMO there will not be a camp to evaluate these players looking for NBA feedback. my guess is they will have to evaluate from tape etc
NBA will be challenged to hold their draft on time much less trying to evaluate the players that they really intend to draft so not sure what type of feedback MSS will get other than what has been obvious to most all of us Ram fans that have seen MSS play and improve over the past 3 years.
I am more concerned that he may transfer to a more high profile program if he gets his degree before the end of the summer (though I have not one bit of information about this and is nothing more than my pure speculation given his announcement this weekend) I just don't see MSS' game at this juncture transferring well to the NBA where 7 foot bigs can drill 3's, handle the ball and dish for assists. I love MSS' motor and effort but..................
It seems our coaches have been beating the trails for grad transfers and other guys in the transfer portal that would lead me to think we may have more than one Scholly available in the next 2 months (but I hope not)
Go Rams

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
If MSS rolls out, it’ll leave us with the weakest group of upperclassmen I can ever remember.

At that point, Mike may just want to focus on the future and showcase/fast-track the frosh/sophs.

A starting 5 like this below would actually be somewhat intriguing.

1 - Clark (So)
2 - Hyland (So)
3 - Watkins (Fr)
4 - Brown-Jones (Fr)
5 - Ward (So)

Rotation: Baldwin, Banks, McAllister (sprinkling in the upperclassmen if they stick around, which I doubt they would if this was the new direction).

Start the youth movement now if MSS leaves and you can’t find some big time GTs with scholly 12 and 13. Maybe you strike gold like Archie did at Dayton (over his last 4 yrs) with Scoochie, K. Davis, Pollard, and Pierre.

Reactions: 2012Ram

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Honestly every player we have should test the waters. See how outside sources see how they can improve to get to the caliber of an nba player.
When VCU gets to a point where they are recruiting a team of NBA caliber players, I will then agree with you. That is not the case today, and never has been at VCU. VCU is not Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Villanova or any other blue blood program out there. VCU has a whopping two players currently in the NBA. Historically, you can count the number of VCU players that have made it to the NBA on two hands. Now VCU has a player testing the NBA waters that didn't even make First, Second or Third Team in the A-10 this year. It's time for both players and fans to get a reality check when it comes to VCU and the NBA.

And regarding "outside sources" evaluating VCU players to see if they are the "caliber of an NBA player", I would expect the VCU coaching staff to be doing that. If they aren't, then they aren't doing their job.

Mar 18, 2012
His dream is the NBA, it's right there in his post.
I guess there are so many options in basketball than there used to be. Since he has fulfilled the requirements for getting his degree that right there is fantastic. Is he playing out of position at VCU, and will going to the professional level be better for him overall? My overall question is his body durable enough for the professional ranks? I hope he gets a good Agent to lead him on his journey, good luck to him.

Mar 18, 2012
When VCU gets to a point where they are recruiting a team of NBA caliber players, I will then agree with you. That is not the case today, and never has been at VCU. VCU is not Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Villanova or any other blue blood program out there. VCU has a whopping two players currently in the NBA. Historically, you can count the number of VCU players that have made it to the NBA on two hands. Now VCU has a player testing the NBA waters that didn't even make First, Second or Third Team in the A-10 this year. It's time for both players and fans to get a reality check when it comes to VCU and the NBA.

And regarding "outside sources" evaluating VCU players to see if they are the "caliber of an NBA player", I would expect the VCU coaching staff to be doing that. If they aren't, then they aren't doing their job.
I agree, I just dont see a long NBA career in his future.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram
Mar 18, 2012
My guess is "outside sources" have gotten in his ear and his family's ears big time. And that's sad. Hardly any 6'7" centers in the NBA. And for good reason.
The only thing I could figure was he could catch on to a developmental league as a forward. VCU was not helping his goals having him play Center. At least he would get paid, and play forward. Other than that, he needs to make sure his US Passport is up to date.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The only thing I could figure was he could catch on to a developmental league as a forward. VCU was not helping his goals having him play Center. At least he would get paid, and play forward. Other than that, he needs to make sure his US Passport is up to date.
If he doesn't develop an outside shot, he has no chance in any league. My gosh!!! Just watching his free throws has to have pro teams concerned!!! This kid is getting extremely bad advice.

Jul 14, 2011

My main point is why not. There is nothing that it can hurt. Personally I think SS has a long wait to go to the nba and it definitely isn’t this year. But “declaring” with the chance to come back allows you to work out with people who can tell you about areas where you can elevate your game, allows you to work out with good players and gives you the opportunity to travel.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
My main point is why not. There is nothing that it can hurt. Personally I think SS has a long wait to go to the nba and it definitely isn’t this year. But “declaring” with the chance to come back allows you to work out with people who can tell you about areas where you can elevate your game, allows you to work out with good players and gives you the opportunity to travel.
The primary thing is it allows one to meet with agents and receive payments from the agents for travel, meals and hotels. What it does not mean is that NBA scouts or coaches will provide much, if any guidance.

Frankly, most NBA personnel could care less about FA level players—they are a dime a dozen—however, mid to low level agents do care. If they can get an under the radar guy into the league through their network, it raises their profile.

Most of the “scouts” who might provide guidance are not affiliated with teams, but with the agents. They will tap into sources—but they have limited to no pull. It’s every bit the scam that AAU ball is—great for the studs with a story, but a cattle call for everyone else.

You are 100% correct, no harm in doing this, but the whole IG post for what amounts to pursuing subsidized career discussions shows a complete lack of self awareness. Why not just do it and then post something cool if you leave. Whole lot of nothing to see here, if anything—maybe it opens up a chance to land a stud GT big....who wouldn’t have come with a returning starter on hand.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, a lot of players declare at come back. In Silva’s case it doesn’t take Jerry West to notice he doesn’t have a jump shot, or something resembling one.

I would think going through the experience, familiarizing yourself with the process, access to people would positively impact him as a player, and be a cool experience.

That said, is there anything for him here? A young team and young guards that may struggle getting him the ball, opponents focused on stopping him etc. 2 of his 3 seasons here have been pretty poor compared to what he signed up for.
An NBA level forward would not would not have a bunch of seasons where his team struggles in our conference. Bones can get him the ball. I mean how many alley oops did we see Ward throw down in his very limited minutes?