Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
That said, i thought the nature of the IG post was a bit absurd for someone who was in contention for the A10 third team and it feels as if there is an ethos among some close to him that he has somehow “outplayed” the program or worse is being held back by it. So yeah, a little salty here on that count....but honestly believe this will work out better for the program, however it plays out.
He didn't say or infer any of that. I just listened to a recently recorded podcast that he and Coach Rhoades were on and he spoke very highly of the VCU program, coaches, and his teammates. All players have an outspoken family member that might suggest such things, but typically the opinions of that family member are not shared by the rest of the family or the player. Another thing to keep in mind is that VCU players are not on campus right now. They may not be on campus and able to workout all summer. A lot of the invitation only campus for elite players will not be happening this year. Even if the opportunities are limited this may give him a chance for some 1 on 1 workouts with trainers that he would not have otherwise. Time in the gym will be at a premium this off season.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Devastating or motivating. Depends on the guy in charge of making that choice. Seeing what MSS has done, i’d bet my house on motivating
Not so sure I agree with it being motivation. You just tried out for the NBA and now you are headed back down to the A-10 because you didn't make the cut. You aren't going to the G-League or overseas to hone your skills. You are headed back down to the A-10. That would take the wind out of the sails of a lot of players.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
He didn't say or infer any of that. I just listened to a recently recorded podcast that he and Coach Rhoades were on and he spoke very highly of the VCU program, coaches, and his teammates. All players have an outspoken family member that might suggest such things, but typically the opinions of that family member are not shared by the rest of the family or the player. Another thing to keep in mind is that VCU players are not on campus right now. They may not be on campus and able to workout all summer. A lot of the invitation only campus for elite players will not be happening this year. Even if the opportunities are limited this may give him a chance for some 1 on 1 workouts with trainers that he would not have otherwise. Time in the gym will be at a premium this off season.
Didn't MSS have a relative posting this year on the VCU Facebook page being critical of the VCU coaching staff?

Reactions: Newboy

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Didn't MSS have a relative posting this year on the VCU Facebook page being critical of the VCU coaching staff?
Yes, one person. He kinda went back and forth from being critical of the coaching staff and being critical of the seniors and praising the coaching staff. The rest of the family that would travel from Mass to Richmond for just about every weekend home game didn't seem to share those feelings.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Not so sure I agree with it being motivation. You just tried out for the NBA and now you are headed back down to the A-10 because you didn't make the cut. You aren't going to the G-League or overseas to hone your skills. You are headed back down to the A-10. That would take the wind out of the sails of a lot of players.
Didn't seem to affect Toppin too much. Most of these guys that are "testing the waters" aren't expecting to make the cut. Look at the list of players just in the A10 that are doing it. They just want to workout and get feedback.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Didn't seem to affect Toppin too much. Most of these guys that are "testing the waters" aren't expecting to make the cut. Look at the list of players just in the A10 that are doing it. They just want to workout and get feedback.
You are comparing apples to watermelons!!! Toppin knew he was going to the NBA. It was just a matter of when, and how high in the draft. And Toppin came back this year, was National Player of the Year and now a lock to be a lottery pick. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ MSS doesn't even know if he is NBA material.

Regarding the other A-10 players testing the water, how many of them weren't First, Second or Third Team A-10?

Reactions: Celticguy

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
You are comparing apples to watermelons!!! Toppin knew he was going to the NBA. It was just a matter of when, and how high in the draft. And Toppin came back this year, was National Player of the Year and now a lock to be a lottery pick. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ MSS doesn't even know if he is NBA material.

Regarding the other A-10 players testing the water, how many of them weren't First, Second or Third Team A-10?
You will never let go of your opinion but I think you do not understand the new rules and why players go this route.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Quite a few I believe. I don't keep up with other A-10 teams the way that some do, but there are a lot of players that get evaluated that will never play in the NBA and probably don't expect to. It is not like it was 10 years ago when you declared for the draft and your college career was done.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
All good points, hopefully you can see that there may be a spectrum of reactions/interpretations across the fan base. I suspect you and I are both within 1 standard deviation—but on the opposite side of the mean in terms of reactions.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008