Players Marcus Santos-Silva

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Let's put things into perspective. In the last 15 years, VCU has now only had two players test the NBA waters after their junior years - Larry Sanders and now MSS. Juvonte Reddic didn't. Justin Tillman didn't. Both Reddic and Tillman had/have more complete games than MSS and still have not sniffed the NBA. And what if these NBA talent scouts tell MSS that he is not NBA material? How devastating is that to MSS going into his senior year?
Plus Mo. If Mo didn't sniff the NBA....

I think MSS, like Mo, would have a better chance in the NFL anyway.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
You will never let go of your opinion but I think you do not understand the new rules and why players go this route.

I understand the new rules. I also understand that there are still only 30 NBA teams and 60 draft picks. That has not changed since 1989 when Minnesota and Orlando joined the league. More and more college players are declaring for the draft early, but there are still only 60 picks. If a college coaching staff can't provide the same evaluation, then I have a problem with that coaching staff.

At the end of the day, which posters on these boards, at the beginning of February, actually gave any thought to MSS testing the NBA waters this spring? I'll guarantee you it was not on 95% of the posters' radar.

VCU85

Elite Member
Plus Mo. If Mo didn't sniff the NBA....

I think MSS, like Mo, would have a better chance in the NFL anyway.

I think it's been suggested, and I agree, what's he got to lose checking the waters ?

He gets evaluated, and told what he needs to work on. Marcus seems like the kind of kid if you tell him do this and you'll get better he does it.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I understand the new rules. I also understand that there are still only 30 NBA teams and 60 draft picks. That has not changed since 1989 when Minnesota and Orlando joined the league. More and more college players are declaring for the draft early, but there are still only 60 picks. If a college coaching staff can't provide the same evaluation, then I have a problem with that coaching staff.

At the end of the day, which posters on these boards, at the beginning of February, actually gave any thought to MSS testing the NBA waters this spring? I'll guarantee you it was not on 95% of the posters' radar.
it is OK to admit you do not understand it.

More power to MSS for entering his name in the draft and wanting to see what happens. What I have a hard time with, assuming that he ultimately doesn’t stay in the draft, is that he will likely become a grad transfer. And I really couldn’t blame him. He will have graduated in 3 years and have earned this right. It’s just disappointing that the VCU program is currently at a level where it may make sense for it’s leading returning scorer and rebounder to look elsewhere to play his final year of eligibility. It feels like we are back to being bush league...very much like what UofR experienced with Fore and Nelson-Ododa.

Last edited:
More power to MSS for entering his name in the draft and wanting to see what happens. What I have a hard time with, assuming that he ultimately doesn’t stay in the draft, is that he will likely become a grad transfer. And I really couldn’t blame him. He will have graduated in 3 years and have earned this right. It’s just disappointing that the VCU program is currently at a level where it may make sense for it’s leading returning scorer and rebounder to look elsewhere to play his final year of eligibility. It feels like we are back to being bush league...very much like what UofR experienced with Fore and Nelson-Ododa.
If he decides another year of college benefits him its almost a given that he needs one that can elevate his game. So far it seems he has been the driving force fir that while here. His situation is similar to the pharaoh who headed to TCU.
Best wishes to Marcus wherever his path leads him.

Ramdog

Elite Member
It’s just disappointing that the VCU program is currently at a level where it may make sense for it’s leading returning scorer and rebounder to look elsewhere to play his final year of eligibility. It feels like we are back to being bush league...very much like what UofR experienced with Fore and Nelson-Ododa.
You do know he has not indicated he will transfer

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Is he even set to graduate? I imagine anyone who wants one will get a waiver this year but if you assume not, is the graduate part of grad transfer in play? If so, well done. I surely didn't graduate in three years.

VCU85

Elite Member
Why do you even speculate that ?

I know. I just think his message would have been different if a grad transfer wasn’t also a strong possibility. Hope that I’m wrong. I’ll be the first to admit so.

Don’t you also find it odd that there was no current quote/response from Rhoades in Wayne’s newspaper story?

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
You are making a lot of assumptions and getting way ahead of yourself.