Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I know. I just think his message would have been different if a grad transfer wasn’t also a strong possibility. Hope that I’m wrong. I’ll be the first to admit so.

Don’t you also find it odd that there was no current quote/response from Rhoades in Wayne’s newspaper story?
They did a podcast interview this week. They are not at odds.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
Quick question. Once he gets his feedback from the NBA and they deem him not ready and he gets his list of things to work on, if he does graduate in July, wouldn't it benefit him to transfer elsewhere, where he wouldn't be pigeonholed into playing at the 5?
Good rebounder, good shooter from within 5, but doesn't he just need a wee bit more to make the show? Just not sure at this point if he is going to get that here.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me that when something with even a chance of being a negative for our program occurs the same group of posters come rushing in to portray the program in a negative light. The negatives are not always direct, sometimes subtle, but always there. It makes it more and more difficult to come to these boards. Historically speaking these posters have added little or nothing to the discourse on these boards over time. To be fair I excuse Celticguy because none of his posts exhibit enough coherency to ascertain what the heck he is trying to say. He's just a five-star idiot.

I've seen posts like if MSS does not find enough interest from the NBA why would he return to VCU. None of us know what's in his future but obviously if he were to move on to another program it could possibly compromise his ability to show the NBA Scouts more. He has shined at VCU. He knows our style of play. He knows our playbook. He has the opportunity to hone his skill-set 24/7 in one of the nations finest basketball development facilities. He also will have two outstanding PG's that can get him the rock. Our coaches and fans love him. Starting over again with another program with a time-horizon of just one-year available to you can be a risky proposition. That's a lot to learn in a very short period of time. What if you go higher(transfer) and don't put-up the numbers. GT's have not shined for the most part at P5's. Those programs are looking for some plug and play guys but will always give preference to 4* and 5* recruits because of commitments made to them during the recruiting process. He's been putting up nice numbers at a very solid level(A-10). He has the attention of several NBA Scouts. If he removes his name he needs to come back, lead this team and put up some impressive numbers. That's his path to playing for money. This "the grass is always greener on the other side is poppycock." Lesser numbers at a P5 will get you nowhere.

For the life of me I can't understand why so called fans can't get behind our program during these difficult times.

Mar 18, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me that when something with even a chance of being a negative for our program occurs the same group of posters come rushing in to portray the program in a negative light. The negatives are not always direct, sometimes subtle, but always there. It makes it more and more difficult to come to these boards. Historically speaking these posters have added little or nothing to the discourse on these boards over time. To be fair I excuse Celticguy because none of his posts exhibit enough coherency to ascertain what the heck he is trying to say. He's just a five-star idiot.

I've seen posts like if MSS does not find enough interest from the NBA why would he return to VCU. None of us know what's in his future but obviously if he were to move on to another program it could possibly compromise his ability to show the NBA Scouts more. He has shined at VCU. He knows our style of play. He knows our playbook. He has the opportunity to hone his skill-set 24/7 in one of the nations finest basketball development facilities. He also will have two outstanding PG's that can get him the rock. Our coaches and fans love him. Starting over again with another program with a time-horizon of just one-year available to you can be a risky proposition. That's a lot to learn in a very short period of time. What if you go higher(transfer) and don't put-up the numbers. GT's have not shined for the most part at P5's. Those programs are looking for some plug and play guys but will always give preference to 4* and 5* recruits because of commitments made to them during the recruiting process. He's been putting up nice numbers at a very solid level(A-10). He has the attention of several NBA Scouts. If he removes his name he needs to come back, lead this team and put up some impressive numbers. That's his path to playing for money. This "the grass is always greener on the other side is poppycock." Lesser numbers at a P5 will get you nowhere.

For the life of me I can't understand why so called fans can't get behind our program during these difficult times.

If you go back to page 31 of this thread, it is obvious he has no intention of returning to VCU no matter what. His decision to declare for the draft is strange since only 60 players are taken, and he's not even in the top 15 in the A-10. The transfer portal would have made more sense. No one said they didn't like the guy or not behind the program, but this kind of move by a player of his size and ability is strange.

Reactions: G-Man

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009

Add in the uncertainty of what the next season is going to look like.

Twain

Top Member
Jan 15, 2017
Love MSS. Extremely hard worker, has a nose for the ball, and proved that he has the capacity to develop and impress. That said, IMHO, he's not the kind of athlete that can make an early departure into the NBA. So I figure he'll be back.

I don't quite follow the idea that he'll transfer to some other school to become a better prospect. I mean, perhaps I'm misunderstanding. You're saying that he'll go to another program where everything — and I mean everything — is new. And it will just be for a year? Regardless of our lineup, I can't see how that's a wise approach to elevate his game. Athletes aren't machines. Intangibles (friends, support, familiarity) go a long way. If he ends up staying, my bet is that he makes major strides. He's driven.