Players Marcus Santos-Silva

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
AND He might land with a coach Who actually knows how to use players taller than 6’7”. On a more serious note as you point out this is good for Marcus and hopefully Rhoadess makes this good for VCU. Mike will either earn that million dollar salary or rip off VCU.
I'd argue that Rhoades and his assistants propelled MSS to the player he became. MSS is not a natural basketball talent and I'd say Rhoades pretty much maxed out what he could get from MSS.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
He knows next year if he comes back he would have to play the 5 again. A position he wouldn't play at the NBA level if he makes it. He needs to go somewhere where he can play his real position a stretch 4.
Stretch 4 is not his real position until he can dribble penetrate and develop at least a mid range jumper. Loved MSS as a Ram. Wish him the best.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Will Wade does NOT recruit high character kids. Enough said.
You're gross. You don't know anything about why he decided to leave. Maybe he wanted to win a tournament game or two. Maybe NBA scouts told him he needed to work on his mid-range game, which wasn't going to happen here. In any event, him wanting to leave Mike Rhoades' sinking ship doesn't make him a low character kid.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
Stadium ranked MSS the #9 transfer in the country.

"9) Marcus Santos-Silva, 6-7, 250, PF, Grad, VCU
Stats: 12.8 ppg, 8.9 rpg
Scout’s take: “Below the rim guy, but carves out a lot of space. Strong lower body and can seal and duck-in deep. He actually moves pretty well laterally and can hedge ball screens, and do things defensively he doesn’t get credit for. Non-shooter and a poor FT shooter. One-hand dominant inside and struggles to score over length. Has to play the 5 and doesn’t give a ton of rim protection.”

I'd be shocked if he doesn't go HM. And, good for him if he does. I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to spend his final year sitting through a massive rebuild with a ton of unproven players
Not knocking the kid, but he’s a substitute at the 5 at half the A-10 schools this past year, and most of the P5 schools. The scout said he has to play the 5.

Reactions: RamStrut

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Not talking about for him. But other players have been recruited over at VCU and were forced to transfer. No one bats and eye, but a player who is good transfers and all of a sudden people start to take shots at his character. poop maybe Brent Scott didn’t help him as much as you think, he got better all on his own and he is wanting to transfer to a coach who will help him develop better? We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and probably never will. You can hate his decision and question whatever you want but to take shots at his character without knowing ANY of the facts is unnecessary.
The guy loves to question the character of our players. He's done it for years, and he'll continue to do it as well.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Well, I have to say I am pretty ticked off about this. But unlike some of you who, upon hearing the announcement, labelled him a project when he came into the program or said wasn't all that great, I believe he was the exact opposite...He was a great player for us from day 1 and worked his tail off to become better - worked harder than just about any player on the team based on what MR has said. And we was one of the most consistent players we had on the court, got shots and was a rebounding machine. He will be missed.
Unless he has a landing place already set up, the move is kind of risky IMO. Perhaps he feels he can play at a bigger place or a place with higher odds of making post season. But he will have to sit for a year - unless he somehow gets a waiver - so perhaps he feels he could work on his game and work on his outside shot or something. But if he is going to leave and then do the same thing he was doing here, I just don't see reason to leave, especially with just one year left to play....he was and would have been the go to guy down low. Why go someone else to do the exact same thing?
So I think perhaps he wants more of on outside/forward type role somewhere and has a year to work on his outside shooting (although I don't know his ability to shoot outside as he never did it here). But if he is going to play more outside, his rebounding numbers will likely decrease. And if his outside shots aren't falling, the team will likely not get him the ball as much meaning even less opportunity to shoot.
Anyway, disappointed in this and disappointed in MSS.
But, start getting used to this folks because when the NCAA opens the door to no-sit transfers, you are going to see many more better players jumping ship from non-p5/6 when they are juniors or seniors

Mar 18, 2012
We must of been reading very different posts, because I did not get that impression at all. All I saw was a post giving thanks for his time here, but keeping all options open. Nothing about his post said he was done with VCU.

Stop reading into things so much, it’s bad for your health.
My health is perfect, how's yours?

Nov 20, 2009
I'm not trying to sh.it on the guy but he didn't even make 3rd team a10. I don't see him all of the sudden competing against elite teams night in and night out and being successful. There was pretty minimal improvement from his sophomore to junior year.
To be quite honest, the reason that MSS wasn’t on an All-A10 team probably had more to do with how bad/disappointing that we were as a team.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I was shocked to see this. But in hindsight I can't say I'm surprised. That said, this is a high risk move for him, which takes a lot of guts. I'm sure he feels he owes it to himself to see how he fairs against another level of competition on a bigger stage. The upside is obvious, but the downside could be crippling to any NBA aspirations.
I hope he succeeds, but I hope he remembers one thing (if he reads this forum ;-):

"Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...but it could be because there's a septic leak."