Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
That may be a part of it, but the fact is that there are and were better all-around bigs in the A-10. I love MSS, but his ceiling professionally is the G-League or overseas. Compare that to the freshman big at UMass (Mitchell), who is a legit NBA prospect and showed it this season. Obi Toppin, Grant Golden, Langevine are all either more skilled, more athletic and/or bigger than MSS. Again, that’s not a knock on MSS. He is the classic “work harder than everyone else and become a solid player” guy. There is nothing wrong with that at all. He has been a credit to VCU and did nothing but represent us well.
Well said and very true. As Ram fans we should support our players but we need to be realistic as well . MSS has " no game " outside of 5-6 ft. He is a good college player that has little to no chance of sticking in the NBA. Look at NBA rosters to find men at 6'7 (he's probably shorter)who can only play close to the basket , has little standing elevation,a suspect handle,and lousy FT form. Overseas maybe . Comparing him to Tillman is more than a stretch. Justin had an outside shot when he got here but others were more consistent so he worked on the inside for most of his career. MSS hasn't mastered a shooting form from the foul line with no defense and now some think he is going to do that from 15-18 ft, with people in his face ? I wish him the best but staying at VCU and getting a reputation of producing double-doubles would have served him well.

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
If he were going to KY he'd have been a 1st team A-10 the last 2 seasons. I love MSS, but he doesn't have an NBA, or a P5 game unless he transforms like a butterfly from pupae this Summer and Fall. He's getting bad advice in his ear from somebody with even less common sense than basketball sense.
Huh? Jacob Toppin just transferred you Kentucky...not nearly the production of MSS...not nearly 1st team A10...logic not linear.

Mar 2, 2014
If he were going to KY he'd have been a 1st team A-10 the last 2 seasons. I love MSS, but he doesn't have an NBA, or a P5 game unless he transforms like a butterfly from pupae this Summer and Fall. He's getting bad advice in his ear from somebody with even less common sense than basketball sense.
Tell me about it. He should be taking his advice from us. :mrgreen:

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Huh? Jacob Toppin just transferred you Kentucky...not nearly the production of MSS...not nearly 1st team A10...logic not linear.
Toppin is a freshman with more athleticism and bigger upside than MSS. That’s not to suggest that Kentucky couldn’t use a “high motor, do the dirty work” guy like MSS. Any team could use a guy like MSS and what he brings, but some places will likely offer him a chance to be THE GUY, while others offer him a chance to be a role player. At Kentucky, he’d most likely be a role player, getting 15-20 minutes, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Reactions: Newboy

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Interesting, but I don't see MSS going to Kentucky.
What if I told you at the end of the season Jacob Toppin was going to Kentucky

Was Jacob Toppin on the A10 1st or 2nd team? MSS is way more proven than Toppin. Plus this is a no loose year for Kentucky. They have 3 scholarship players returning at this point, 5 freshmen Jacob Toppin and three open spots. Also, I was pretty sure of this yesterday and I am even more sure now that it is the right decision for both parties. What he would have to do to play professionally and what VCU needed him to do are not the same things

vadiplomat04

Top Member
Feb 24, 2020
I now realize that some posters on here are snakes.

They love you until you do what best for your career.

They'll crap on your name, just because they disagree with your move.

It also has made me realize why certain people here are adamantly against college players getting paid for their name and likeness.

It has nothing to do with "keeping the integerity of amatur sports", it about control. Some of you want to control other young men. You want to control every aspect of their being. You want them to follow your every wish simply because you are a fan that pays for a season ticket.

Some of you here really need to look in the mirror and start to analyze yourself. Cause I see some really damaged people here.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Toppin is a freshman with more athleticism and bigger upside than MSS.
Which I would contend makes Toppin a bigger risk for both. Of course higher the risk higher the reward. Lets say Jacob turns out to be everything UK hopes, then all is great. But lets say he is a bust. Then either UK is stuck with him for 4 years or they ask him t leave or he chooses to leave and he becomes a sit one play one and who is going to want to take a sit one play one that has proven anything in two previous schools? If you think its easy just look at the Xavier Jackson situation. You honestly think he would have stayed at VCU and played 11 min his senior year if someone would have taken a sit one player unproven player?

Reactions: DisplacedRam

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
A lot of this situation depends on what MSS has heard and wants for himself.

Suppose for a second that the NBA folks told him that he has zero chance to play in the league, so he decides that he wants to transfer to a place in hopes of competing for a national title. Thus, he accepts an offer to transfer to Kentucky, for example, to be a role player who gets 15-20 minutes per game.

On the other hand, let‘s suppose that the NBA scouts have told him that he had a chance but needed to play against the absolute best big men in the country to show what he can do, while improving certain areas. Thus, he winds up at a lower level P-6 (counting the Big East) school, like a Boston College, Nebraska or Kansas State where he can play against top flight competition and possibly be a main offensive threat.

Lastly, lets suppose he just wants to play closer to home. There are several possible reasons for his transfer. Let’s just thank him for his hard work and the example he set both academically and athletically at VCU, while wishing him well wherever he lands.

Dec 2, 2012
I think he has a chance to go to a middle to lower level P-6 school; a Boston College type. The scouting report you quoted says exactly what I’ve been trying to explain to balla21, who seems to think he’ll be a stretch 4.

Interestingly and with a bit of irony, a more skilled player at VCU was in a similar position two years ago, as you describe: a massive rebuild with unproven players. Justin Tillman stayed and had a fantastic year.
Justin Tillman stayed and got knocked around buy guy who weighed 60 lbs more than him, plus he had very little hope.

Probably the most screwed over player buy all the coaching changes, as he was going to be a trapping stretch 4 for Shaka and ended up carrying the team while he was out of position.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I now realize that some posters on here are snakes.

They love you until you do what best for your career.

They'll crap on your name, just because they disagree with your move.

It also has made me realize why certain people here are adamantly against college players getting paid for their name and likeness.

It has nothing to do with "keeping the integerity of amatur sports", it about control. Some of you want to control other young men. You want to control every aspect of their being. You want them to follow your every wish simply because you are a fan that pays for a season ticket.

Some of you here really need to look in the mirror and start to analyze yourself. Cause I see some really damaged people here.
For every one negative comment there has been probably 200-300 positive ones. But don't let that keep you from getting upset over nothing.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Transferring, so likely no G League or overseas.

Sounds like Bones is finding out over twitter like the rest of us - not good.

Makes me think players are getting word that the transfer sit out rule amendment will pass. No big reason to leave after 3 years. Of course his family has been critical so who knows.
And is this just another symptom of the dysfunctional team we witnessed in the second half of last year. I guess we’ll never really know what was going on. Chemistry? Players and/or coaches?

Reactions: connell