Players Marcus Santos-Silva

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Which I would contend makes Toppin a bigger risk for both. Of course higher the risk higher the reward. Lets say Jacob turns out to be everything UK hopes, then all is great. But lets say he is a bust. Then either UK is stuck with him for 4 years or they ask him t leave or he chooses to leave and he becomes a sit one play one and who is going to want to take a sit one play one that has proven anything in two previous schools? If you think its easy just look at the Xavier Jackson situation. You honestly think he would have stayed at VCU and played 11 min his senior year if someone would have taken a sit one player unproven player?
That’s kind of the point. MSS is who he is as a player. Any improvement is likely to be at the margin. It’s that way with most rising seniors. Biggest improvement comes after either your freshman or sophomore seasons, in the vast majority of cases.

Toppin is high risk/high reward simply because his upside is greater. This is what Cal does, though. Almost every one and done player is high risk/high reward. Cal always has to replace a ton of players every season. He only has to be right on half or a bit more of his gambles because he always gets a ton of talent. UK may lose a game or two early that they shouldn’t (Evansville), but by year end, they are top 20 and a threat to win it all.

Mar 2, 2014
I now realize that some posters on here are snakes.

They love you until you do what best for your career.

They'll crap on your name, just because they disagree with your move.

It also has made me realize why certain people here are adamantly against college players getting paid for their name and likeness.

It has nothing to do with "keeping the integerity of amatur sports", it about control. Some of you want to control other young men. You want to control every aspect of their being. You want them to follow your every wish simply because you are a fan that pays for a season ticket.

Some of you here really need to look in the mirror and start to analyze yourself. Cause I see some really damaged people here.
I don't think its that deep.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Justin Tillman stayed and got knocked around buy guy who weighed 60 lbs more than him, plus he had very little hope.

Probably the most screwed over player buy all the coaching changes, as he was going to be a trapping stretch 4 for Shaka and ended up carrying the team while he was out of position.
Yes, but he stayed and had a phenomenal year, which drew the attention of NBA scouts who came to see him regularly.

Mar 1, 2015
MSS and Toppin bring things U.K. could use. A mature physical front court player, and a likely 4 year guy with some Upside. Relying on 1 and done players hasn’t exactly built a dynasty for Cal.

Reactions: wavevcu
Apr 20, 2009
Bye, Bye, Bye...

Sad!

I appreciate the effort and time he put in. But transferring is stupid. Maybe he graduated, i don't know. But leaving is a bad decision.

NEXT!

Coach better get things together...

Jul 27, 2017
Swapping out MSS for Medley Bacon is a clear downgrade I think most would agree. But this may not be as devastating to next year's team as it seems. I think there is a good chance Ward makes a big jump next year into a really good starting center. Look as MSS's jump from Freshman to Sophomore as an example of what is possible. And with Ward we are talking about a player with much more athleticism and upside.

It really stinks that the players are most likely not going to be able to work over the summer together this year. Our 20-21 team really needs a great summer to have any chance of being A10 contenders next year. I just hope Ward is able to lift weights and at-least develop his strength more. I would argue Ward showed more flashes his freshman year than Santos Silva did his freshman year. Obviously we have no way of knowing if Ward is going to put in the same kind of work MSS does to make himself better though.

I do not agree that MSS is not able to develop his game here as some have posted. If he was able to shoot Rhoades would let me shoot. We have other guys who can do some things down low to take some pressure off him. Ward and Douglas could play the 5 spot to free up MSS. No matter where he is it is on him to learn how to shoot.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Yes, but he stayed and had a phenomenal year, which drew the attention of NBA scouts who came to see him regularly.
the things Justin was both allowed and able to to do were beneficial to his pro aspirations( for example inthe first 3 years, Justin took 3 3pt shots. His senior year he took 82 3pt shots)

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
MSS and Toppin bring things U.K. could use. A mature physical front court player, and a likely 4 year guy with some Upside. Relying on 1 and done players hasn’t exactly built a dynasty for Cal.
There are no dynasties in college basketball any longer. However, Cal has Kentucky competing for the national championship almost annually. All things considered, that’s not too bad.

Goop

Top Member
Nov 27, 2010
Pretty bummed to see MSS leaving, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Also, some of y’all need to take a deep breath and go for a walk. Some of the comments in this thread are insane. And no, I’m not a “blow sunshine and never criticize the players” type of person, but there’s a way to disagree with someone or have constructive criticism without being a complete ass. MSS worked his tail off for us for 3 years, no need to turn on him because of a decision we know nothing about.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Swapping out MSS for Medley Bacon is a clear downgrade I think most would agree. But this may not be as devastating to next year's team as it seems. I think there is a good chance Ward makes a big jump next year into a really good starting center. Look as MSS's jump from Freshman to Sophomore as an example of what is possible. And with Ward we are talking about a player with much more athleticism and upside.

It really stinks that the players are most likely not going to be able to work over the summer together this year. Our 20-21 team really needs a great summer to have any chance of being A10 contenders next year. I just hope Ward is able to lift weights and at-least develop his strength more. I would argue Ward showed more flashes his freshman year than Santos Silva did his freshman year. Obviously we have no way of knowing if Ward is going to put in the same kind of work MSS does to make himself better though.

I do not agree that MSS is not able to develop his game here as some have posted. If he was able to shoot Rhoades would let me shoot. We have other guys who can do some things down low to take some pressure off him. Ward and Douglas could play the 5 spot to free up MSS. No matter where he is it is on him to learn how to shoot.
It's not devastating. We were 18-13 and lost 7 of our last 8.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
What were the specific issues?
I have no idea if there were any beyond reports of his uncle being critical on social media. I have as little to do with the majority of FB and all of Twitter as possible, so just a general observation.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012

It also has made me realize why certain people here are adamantly against college players getting paid for their name and likeness.

It has nothing to do with "keeping the integerity of amatur sports", it about control. Some of you want to control other young men. You want to control every aspect of their being. You want them to follow your every wish simply because you are a fan that pays for a season ticket.

Some of you here really need to look in the mirror and start to analyze yourself. Cause I see some really damaged people here.
I don't think you're some kind of monster just because you disagree with the premise that he's going to be a role player at one of the most elite college programs in the country. People are giving their honest opinions... I agree 100% he worked really hard at VCU and will certainly be a loss. But I think that his size and lack of an outside shot will hurt his effectiveness against tougher competition.

Reactions: Love2Ram

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010

I find this to be such a strange, strange post.