Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The control of others is a crazy drug my friend. That's what this is all about. People who think they deserve control over other people's decisions and life simply because they pay for a season ticket.

These are probably the same people who don't abide by stay at home orders because "I have rights and freedom in this country".
Didn't you debut on here trying to tell us that we should want our coach fired?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Didn't you debut on here trying to tell us that we should want our coach fired?
You mean this post?

vadiplomat04

Feb 24, 20202231
Feb 24, 2020
Hello my fellow Ram Fans,

I've been a viewer of these boards going back to my time as a student at VCU (2008-2010, I know I'm old now). I've sat back and took in for years a lot of the opinions of fellow ram fans and though now, with the state of program where it is today, is a perfect time for me to speak.

I think all of us can agree that this season hasn't gone the way we all thought it would. From the mystifying reasons as to why the senior class is struggling to perform at expected levels to the open fighting on social media between family members of players and the coaching staff, this season is one of those seasons that we need to throw away like an old pair of boxers.

The big question is, what do we do after this season. I know some people are going to hate what I have to say next, but I think it's something that needs to be seriously considered, I think we need to let the current coaching staff go.

The reasons for this are twofold, 1) the decision making before and during games, from lineup combinations to in-game strategic adjustments have been very bad over the past two years. For instance, it has been clear since December that Marcus Evans should not be starting over Bones, yet Marcus Evans continued to start. Also, it seemed that Coach Rhoads never made adjustments at the right time, especially during runs by opponents. There were several games where I watched a team like Rhode Island or Richmond start to go on a run, and Rhoades would not make an adjustment to the defense nor adjust the lineup that was out there letting up said run. Not having the ability to see that something needs to be adjusted in moments like that is usually the first sign that you need to move on from that coach.

Reason #2 is our recruiting over the past few years. Mike has done a great job at getting guards into the program (Bones is probably one of the best recruits from a prue basketball perspective we have had at VCU since the early Shaka days when we got Terry Larrier). But the issue is that we have not recruited well when it comes to big men. I haven't seen since Mike has been here, where he has gotten a commitment from a player that was over 6'10". The issue of size is now apparent considering that, if you watched the Rhode Island and Dayton games, we have real issues with rebounding and defending the rim. Other then MSS (who, if you remember, was recruited here by Will Wade) no other big man has proven to do well at VCU. Ward has a chance to be good, but I don't see him in the mold of a DJ Haley or even a Justin Tillman, which are the type of big men we need.

So with all of that you're probably wondering, "what is the solution then? who do you think we should hire?"

In my honest opinion, we have two options, either hire another coach from the "havoc" coaching tree or completely drop the "havoc" culture and hire a completely new coach with a completely different coaching methodology.

If you elect "keep the havoc system" what better person to hire than the man who helped build our program to the level we currently are now. In all likelihood, Shaka Smart will be fired from Texas after this season. What if (and I know it's a big "what if") Shaka came back home?

Think about what that would mean for not only VCU, but RVA as a whole. When Shaka was here, he brought a certain type of love/energy to the basketball program and the city as a whole that no one else has been able to do, before or after him. Allowing him to come back to VCU and take full advantage of the practice facility that he helped build, restart our recruiting base in a more sensible manner, and help continue to grew these young men in a positive way, can only help VCU get back to where we're used to being.

Personally, as a black man, I always loved to hear and see Shaka's story about how he grew up without a father and how he put that negative energy from not having a dad into building up other young black and brown men on his basketball teams. I understand fully Shaka's situation, as I lost my father early in life and now understand how much that affected me now not just as a man, but a man of color. Seeing him put his arm around a player and sincerely teach them and point out their faults, but also being able to bond with them on a personal level made me always believe that Shaka was the most beloved coach since Sonny Smith.

Think about this for a second. Did you ever hear once about in fighting among players, players fighting with the coaching staff, parents of players fighting with the coaching staff when Shaka was there? For me personally, I didn't (that's only me though). For Rhoades, I heard back near the beginning of last season that there were issue in the locker room (these are things that I've heard from people close to the program that I have personal relationships with, I don't know HOW true they are). So why not, if we want to keep the "havoc" train going, bring back Shaka. I know it will take time for some of you to forgive Shaka for how he exited the first time. But I'm sure once you see the first win against UofR or see us back in the NCAA tournament as one of the most feared opponents, you'll forgive him.

The second option is to detonate the "havoc" program and start new. Three names that come to mind for me are Earl Grant from the College of Charleston, LeVelle Moton from NC Central and Matt McMahon from Murray State. These three coach are young, high energy coaches that not only have an impact on the court, but are also good people that can positively affect the young men that come into this program and the RVA community as a whole.

Hopefully not too many people take offense to my post, but I honestly think it's time for a change here.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  • Angry
  • Love
Reactions:BaNgMyPrOgRaM, Who_Dat_Ninja, AnnuitCoeptis and 4 others

Jan 15, 2020
I’ve gotten a bit more outspoken these days (The Rambo Rowdy of years ago has changed a bit lol.)
1) Anyone who is trying to give lectures to our fans about player /player family treatment while trashing our coaches and program can straight GTFO.
2) A player rolling his eyes in the locker room, checking out during games, having his family fight his battles publicly, etc. Umm yeah that player can go. We don’t need that garbage here.
3) The players who allowed their families to mouth off were struggling or not showing up last year. As a admin of the big basketball group on FB I got sick of their toxic BS they spewed on the page. Getting into fights with our fans who didn’t appreciate their comments as well as trying to turn our fan base against the staff. They can F off too. We have expectations here. You are expected to give your best. Evans broke himself maybe times for this university yet he took it in stride and always was supportive of our staff.
4) Simple. You don’t want to be here. Get out. Plenty of other players would love to wear our colors and play in front of thousands of our fans while training at a world class basketball facility.

Apr 21, 2009
Good bye MSS, when one door closes another opens no reason why Douglas and Ward can not duplicate or improve his numbers. I think they have the ability. Have we given up on the center from John Marshall ?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I take it at face value..because it had nothing to do with the coaching staff and he knows we have yahoos that speculate about that type of thing.
So.... He loved the coaching staff. He loved VCU. He loved Ram Nation. Yet... He exits stage right. Something pissed him and his "advisors" off to the point he wants to transfer. If you love everything about the place you are currently in, you don't transfer out for your last year. I call "BS" to his exit speech on Twitter. Talk about hiding behind words.

HouseofBurgess20

Top Member
Mar 1, 2013
Love MSS and gonna miss him, but this move is probably best for both parties. I do think that Ward/BMB are better stylistic fits at the 5 for us than MSS. It's gonna be tough for a guy like MSS to make it in the modern NBA, he really can't hit anything consistently outside of 5 feet and he is not a very good ball handler/passer. At 6'6"-6'7" the best he can hope to do in the NBA is be an energy/character last man off the bench kinda of guy (I'm thinking a Kenneth Faried type). Don't get me wrong he's a fantastic mid-major big and we were so lucky to have him for the time that we did have him, but there is sufficient evidence that shows he struggles with players that are taller than he is, or that can match his strength and tenacity. I don't see him being a big time contributor on a really good P5 club. Honestly his best course of action may be to test the waters overseas and develop his game against full time professionals, and with far superior coaching than he would receive at most college basketball programs.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Love MSS and gonna miss him, but this move is probably best for both parties. I do think that Ward/BMB are better stylistic fits at the 5 for us than MSS. It's gonna be tough for a guy like MSS to make it in the modern NBA, he really can't hit anything consistently outside of 5 feet and he is not a very good ball handler/passer. At 6'6"-6'7" the best he can hope to do in the NBA is be an energy/character last man off the bench kinda of guy (I'm thinking a Kenneth Faried type). Don't get me wrong he's a fantastic mid-major big and we were so lucky to have him for the time that we did have him, but there is sufficient evidence that shows he struggles with players that are taller than he is, or that can match his strength and tenacity. I don't see him being a big time contributor on a really good P5 club. Honestly his best course of action may be to test the waters overseas and develop his game against full time professionals, and with far superior coaching than he would receive at most college basketball programs.
Do you really think pro leagues overseas have far superior coaching than what the NCAA has? And what about facilities? I find that hard to believe.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
So.... He loved the coaching staff. He loved VCU. He loved Ram Nation. Yet... He exits stage right. Something pissed him and his "advisors" off to the point he wants to transfer. If you love everything about the place you are currently in, you don't transfer out for your last year. I call "BS" to his exit speech on Twitter. Talk about hiding behind words.
no. I think it has more to do with the fact he's graduated and has a better opportunity to win someplace else. I have no problem with that.

HouseofBurgess20

Top Member
Mar 1, 2013
Do you really think pro leagues overseas have far superior coaching than what the NCAA has? And what about facilities? I find that hard to believe.
Definitely better coaching, and on the whole yeah I do believe most clubs in the top division of the 9-10 best leagues in Europe have good facilities. Some of the lower level clubs may not have the facilities of programs like Kentucky and Duke, but realistically MSS isn't gonna play at a program that good anyways.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
I now realize that some posters on here are snakes.

They love you until you do what best for your career.

They'll crap on your name, just because they disagree with your move.

It also has made me realize why certain people here are adamantly against college players getting paid for their name and likeness.

It has nothing to do with "keeping the integerity of amatur sports", it about control. Some of you want to control other young men. You want to control every aspect of their being. You want them to follow your every wish simply because you are a fan that pays for a season ticket.

Some of you here really need to look in the mirror and start to analyze yourself. Cause I see some really damaged people here.
Please tell me that you do not honestly believe that our buildings, scholarships, meals, charter flights, bus trips, coaching salaries, etc... are covered by some fans purchasing season tickets. When you realize how highly invested the many people are who make VCU basketball possible you'll begin to appreciate the interest the supporters have in the success of this program. I have not seen any signs suggesting the people on this forum want to control any of the players. Freakin' ridiculous post.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
They haven't made the Final 4 in 5 years. Thats hardly "competing for the N.C. almost annually. "
In the last three NCAA Tournaments, Kentucky lost twice in the Elite 8, one on a buzzer beater against eventual National Champion UNC, and lost once in the Sweet 16. That's competing for the National championship. They've finished in the final AP Top 10 four times in the last five years, and the one year they didn't was when they finished 18. Are you kidding me with this?

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
When are people going to realize that "athleticism" and being "a good athlete" does not make you a good basketball player ?? The absolute best example of this i ever saw was Jackie Joyner Kersee. She played pro hoops for the Richmond Rage women's team the one season they were here. She was one of the top athletes in the world. 3 Olympic gold medals. SI for women named her the greatest female athlete of all time. She could run and jump as well or better than anyone. She started all 4 years for the women's hoops team at UCLA. She was a good college player. She was unfortunately just not a very good pro player. If athletic ability was equal to basketball ability she would have been one of the greatest women players of all time. She wasnt. Not even close. I don't know why people equate "athletic" with being good at basketball. I would much rather have a kid who is intelligent, works hard, has a good attitude and is coachable than a good athlete.
I am well aware that athleticism doesn't make one a good basketball player, which is why I have constantly posted on here about the mental parts of being an athlete. However, when you combine athleticism with basketball knowledge, you get fantastic players. Let me clue you in with an example: Marcus Evans is a fantastic player. Bones Hyland is more athletic, and from what I saw this year, has a better feel for the game (see some of the best post passes we've seen in years at VCU), and thus has a better upside than Evans. That's not a knock on Evans, as his athleticism was surely hurt by the injuries; it's a compliment of Bones. Seriously with Jackie Joyner Kersee? LMAO. You made me spit up on my computer laughing so hard.