Players Marcus Santos-Silva

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
no. I think it has more to do with the fact he's graduated and has a better opportunity to win someplace else. I have no problem with that.
You need to read the article below.

"In the meeting last week, VCU’s staff gave Santos-Silva the NBA feedback. The staff spoke with both Santos-Silva and his parents.

Then, Monday night, Santos-Silva requested to come see and speak to Rhoades.
“He told me [Monday] night that he and his family felt that it was best for him to play at the highest level to play in the NBA, and pursue his dream,” Rhoades said Tuesday afternoon."

That clearly is NOT an endorsement of the VCU coaching staff. The kid can't even make A-10 all-conference and he thinks playing at a higher level in college is going to help him make the NBA? Sounds like MSS and his family are about to get a big time reality check.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I am only presenting information MSS is say 6'7" 250. Here are NBA comparable size players(6'6"-6'8" 235lbs and up)

Montrez Harrell 6'7" 240 is probably the most comparable player. He a 10% career 3pth shooter in the NBA and a Career 64% FT shooter. In three college years he was a 28% 3pt shooter(40 attempts) and a 53% Free throw shooter

Carmelo Anthony 6'8" 238
Bismack Biyombo 6'8" 255
Devontae Cycok 6'8" 240
Valtko Cancar 6'8" 236
Wilson Chandler 6'8" 235
Jae Crowder 6'6" 235
Jared Dudley 6'6" 237
Rudy Gay 6'8" 250
Arron Gordon 6'8" 235
Jeff Green 6'8" 235
Udonis Haslem 6'8' 235
James Johnson 6'7" 240
Stanley Johnson 6'6" 242
Kevin Love 6'8" 251
Markieff Morris 6'8" 245
Larry Nance Jr 6'7" 245
Semi Ojeleye 6'6'" 240
Jabari Parker 6'8" 245
Eric Paschall 6'6" 255
Julius Randle 6'8" 250
MIke Scott 6'7" 237
Omari Spellman 6'8" 245
Robert WIlliams 6'8" 237
Grant Williams 6'6" 236
Marvin Williams 6'8" 237
Zion Williamson 6'6" 284
Kenny Wooten 6'8" 235
Harrell is a ridiculously good man defender and is a phenomenal athlete who works as hard as anyone. Agree with him as maybe the only reasonable comp—with only one box checked though.

Jul 30, 2014
I am only presenting information MSS is say 6'7" 250. Here are NBA comparable size players(6'6"-6'8" 235lbs and up)

Montrez Harrell 6'7" 240 is probably the most comparable player. He a 10% career 3pth shooter in the NBA and a Career 64% FT shooter. In three college years he was a 28% 3pt shooter(40 attempts) and a 53% Free throw shooter

Carmelo Anthony 6'8" 238
Bismack Biyombo 6'8" 255
Devontae Cycok 6'8" 240
Valtko Cancar 6'8" 236
Wilson Chandler 6'8" 235
Jae Crowder 6'6" 235
Jared Dudley 6'6" 237
Rudy Gay 6'8" 250
Arron Gordon 6'8" 235
Jeff Green 6'8" 235
Udonis Haslem 6'8' 235
James Johnson 6'7" 240
Stanley Johnson 6'6" 242
Kevin Love 6'8" 251
Markieff Morris 6'8" 245
Larry Nance Jr 6'7" 245
Semi Ojeleye 6'6'" 240
Jabari Parker 6'8" 245
Eric Paschall 6'6" 255
Julius Randle 6'8" 250
MIke Scott 6'7" 237
Omari Spellman 6'8" 245
Robert WIlliams 6'8" 237
Grant Williams 6'6" 236
Marvin Williams 6'8" 237
Zion Williamson 6'6" 284
Kenny Wooten 6'8" 235
Montrezl Harrell is who I felt Mo Alie-Cox would be if he stayed on the basketball route. MSS doesn't have that same type of athleticism.

Feb 8, 2019
Dude is gone. We got dumped. But Marcus still wants to be friends.
Time to move on and stop crying and pining away.

"In the meeting last week, VCU’s staff gave Santos-Silva the NBA feedback. The staff spoke with both Santos-Silva and his parents.

“He told me [Monday] night that he and his family felt that it was best for him to play at the highest level to play in the NBA, and pursue his dream,” Rhoades said Tuesday afternoon."

That clearly is NOT an endorsement of the VCU coaching staff. The kid can't even make A-10 all-conference and he thinks playing at a higher level in college is going to help him make the NBA? Sounds like MSS and his family are about to get a big time reality check.
Wish him luck, and show ‘em the door.

Feb 24, 2020

This is exactly what I mean with my previous post. A clear example.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

The sad part is one just has to look at who gets drafted where they played to see that if you can play and they think you are worthy of a chance, then the NBA will find you regardless of where you played. Obi Toppin will be in the NBA; Treveon Graham, DeAndre Bembry are in the NBA; that's just A-10 players off the top of my head. Reality checks can be hard, but necessary.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
The sad part is one just has to look at who gets drafted where they played to see that if you can play and they think you are worthy of a chance, then the NBA will find you regardless of where you played. Obi Toppin will be in the NBA; Treveon Graham, DeAndre Bembry are in the NBA; that's just A-10 players off the top of my head. Reality checks can be hard, but necessary.
Last year in the NBA draft Morant out of Murray State and a couple years before that Siakam out of New Mexico State have been first round picks and excelled there too

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
May 4, 2012
somebody will.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
I don't think he's leaving VCU because he thinks he can't get to the NBA in the A10.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I don't think he's leaving VCU because he thinks he can't get to the NBA in the A10.
He may not be, but our big man coach (Brent Scott), who played professionally for 12-13 years including a short stint with the Pacers, sure seems to have helped him develop to this point. We'll never know for certain, but it sure seems as if this could be a case of where family influenced a kid in a direction that may not be best for him. Wouldn't be the first or the last time that has happened.

I have several friends who coach both high school and college, not including those on the current VCU staff. When asked privately what is one of the most frustrating things about their job, they have all replied in some form or fashion with this answer: PARENTS/FAMILY.

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
We all have our favorite players and those whose game we don’t like so much. When a player chooses to leave—i get that some fans are sad, some are circumspect and others may be happy.
It baffles me though, why some find it more valid to express sadness than those who might be happy?

There is some good front line talent coming in next year.....plus Vince and Ward. That talent will have to play to get better, mistakes and all. It could be ugly early, but really intriguing late.

What if the professional assessment of MSS was measured and clear that he needs to show better handles and more range. Upon receiving the assessment he had a discussion with coaches about their plans for him next year, with responses that they see him as the 5 and have plans to develop others more suited for the other front line spots, plus Ward is likely going to get more time....basically being honest and doing what is right for the program.

That plan may not be what MSS feels is in his best interest, given the feedback and his aspirations. So he decides to go, which is reasonable and best of luck to him. Just cause he is leaving on his own terms though, doesn’t mean people have to like it or suddenly praise his game. He made an adult decision and like most adult decisions, there will be supporters, detractors and many who simply say see ya. One thing is for certain, he voluntarily left the program, so:

C4C2453E-CD40-452D-B199-C77762E975F2.gif

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
VCU has had 20 players selected in NBA draft - that counts Marc Jackson and Greg McDougald, who transferred out. Jesse Dark was first Ram ever taken, as 32nd overall pick in '74 ... McDougald 54th and Bernard Harris 63rd, in same draft. With little to offer, VCU must have had some fair to middling recruiters in those days.
Great there's more. I didnt know about Greg McDougald but was aware of Jackson. McDougald was a Benny Dees recruit. He had a NY connection and he was very persuasive.