Players Marcus Santos-Silva

I think this is a winner. Marcus isn't playing the 4 for most any mid coach. Everyone one of those programs likely allows more exposure and a chance to show he has a game outside the paint.
And these conferences are no strangers to bigs.
He could learn a lot at any one of them.

VRam

Elite Member
Everyone one of those programs likely allows more exposure and a chance to show he has a game outside the paint.

If he had game outside the paint, I'm sure we would have used it. He's shown zero indication of any game outside the paint. Not even in warm-ups.

We'll put you down in the camp that one of those schools is going let him run amok out on the three point line.

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
I decided to go look at some of MSS highlight tapes from his BABC days and while most of it looks similar to his work at VCU (close to the basket, hook shot/lay ups, rebounds), there are several jumpers and drives. I’m sure as his body has matured and his athleticism increased, he may be able to showcase that more somewhere where he is able. I think 1) we needed him down low, and 2) he was effective could be why his game didn’t evolve outside 5 feet. It’s not what we needed him to do.

Not saying this is proven of his abilities, and his form still isn’t ideal, but the highlights show some jumpers out to about 15-20ft.

MarsAlienRam

Elite Member
Look, I love MSS and really enjoyed watching him grow into a fine player here. I wish him all the best and hope he is successful.

That being said...from my 37 years as a basketball coach (taught high school in Chicago), I just don’t see him having the skill set to do well at a P5 team, much less the NBA.

I really hope I eat crow, but I find it very sad when a player’s family brainwashes them into believing the situation is something that it isn’t.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
Look, I love MSS and really enjoyed watching him grow into a fine player here. I wish him all the best and hope he is successful.

That being said...from my 37 years as a basketball coach (taught high school in Chicago), I just don’t see him having the skill set to do well at a P5 team, much less the NBA.

I really hope I eat crow, but I find it very sad when a player’s family brainwashes them into believing the situation is something that it isn’t.

Well, I think he goes to Maryland where Turgeon has produced 4 straight first round PF/Centers.

MarsAlienRam

Elite Member
Well, I think he goes to Maryland where Turgeon has produced 4 straight first round PF/Centers.

I never said I didn’t think he wouldn’t end up at a P5...me most definitely will. I just think he will be a benchwarmer. Just because he goes to a school that has produced 4 straight first round PF/C does not mean he will be one.

Again, I hope and pray I eat crow because I love the kid. And I’m sure @ramfan84 will rub it in my face when I am wrong like last time. But in my experience I don’t see it happening.

VCU85

Elite Member
MSS is a rising senior, if he doesn't have the skill set yet, nothing short of a miracle is gonna change that.

I'm sure the 4 straight PF/centers had higher recruiting rankings than MSS, otherwise he'd have been going to a P5 from the get go. There's a reason there are mid major schools.... MSS is one of them, BUT I'd gladly eat crow to see him prove everyone wrong.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
MSS is a rising senior, if he doesn't have the skill set yet, nothing short of a miracle is gonna change that.

I'm sure the 4 straight PF/centers had higher recruiting rankings than MSS, otherwise he'd have been going to a P5 from the get go. There's a reason there are mid major schools.... MSS is one of them, BUT I'd gladly eat crow to see him prove everyone wrong.
There is another possibility, although I would be mildly surprised if this was the thought pattern. It makes more sense for MSS to go as a sit one play one than a grad transfer. By doing that, it gives him two years instead of the one year to work on things provided in the NBA feedback. As a redshirt, he would get to train and practice against similar body types with all expenses paid(Room and board). That honestly would allow time for him to becaome more marketable no matter where he ends up playing professionally.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

According to the NBA feedback, MSS is 6'7, 7'4 wingspan and a 6'11.5 functional height.

His wingspan and lower base allow him to play much bigger than his height so he gets alot of rebounds.

He is never going to be a shooter and he doesnt need to be. His niche is rebounding and his motor would allow him to bringing energy off the bench.

Maryland and Turgeon play 2 bigs. They are great at playing inside / out and do a helluva of job developing post players. In the physical big 10, MSS would fit right in.

He may not be drafted but he will develop into a much better player at maryland than at vcu.

VCU85

Elite Member
There is another possibility, although I would be mildly surprised if this was the thought pattern. It makes more sense for MSS to go as a sit one play one than a grad transfer. By doing that, it gives him two years instead of the one year to work on things provided in the NBA feedback. As a redshirt, he would get to train and practice against similar body types with all expenses paid(Room and board). That honestly would allow time for him to becaome more marketable no matter where he ends up playing professionally.
Yeah, maybe, certainly a possibility.

NCRam

Elite Member
According to the NBA feedback, MSS is 6'7, 7'4 wingspan and a 6'11.5 functional height.

His wingspan and lower base allow him to play much bigger than his height so he gets alot of rebounds.

He is never going to be a shooter and he doesnt need to be. His niche is rebounding and his motor would allow him to bringing energy off the bench.

Maryland and Turgeon play 2 bigs. They are great at playing inside / out and do a helluva of job developing post players. In the physical big 10, MSS would fit right in.

He may not be drafted but he will develop into a much better player at maryland than at vcu.
Most of Turgeon's bigs can play well away from the basket. Maybe MSS can learn a thing or two...from the bench!