Players Marcus Santos-Silva

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
For those slamming MSS 's transfer and throwing shade on his abilities. it's not all about scoring. He does alot of the other stuff.

I don't think his problem is only scoring. He's too friggin' short and not athletic enough. And for those people who have never played athletics at a high level, you don't practice day and night for 15 years and then in a few months miraculously develop a whole new skill set.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Heck just look at how well some of our Freshmen played when thrown in there under difficult circumstances.... especially Bones who took the fans by storm & instantly became a fan favorite. I can't remember the last Freshmen for VCU to come in and make that big of an impact his freshman year.

Only person who I would honestly say was hurt by this free style of play... was Malik. Sure he's mostly a 3 point shooter on the offensive end, though we did see him drive to the basket a couple times. The problem was we had guys that were trying to do everything themselves and were taking terrible looks, or turning the ball over. The few times we actually ran a set play to get Crowfield open... he would knock em down at a decent rate.

I'm not saying Mike tried to limit Malik.... but the fact he let guys play so freely (or at least thats how it seemed at times).... I think that hurt Malik's stats, and honestly hurt us in games.... because had we been able to get him going, it could opened up the paint more for guys like Silva, Douglas & Ward.
I think we need to close the book on the "Malik Crowfield is a 3 point shooter" narrative....after 4 years? He is still WAY below any and all VCU all time records.
He was able to cobble together 118 out of 324 from 3 somewhere in the mid .300's %...He appeared in 119 games........soooooo, I'm not a big math guy, but that looks to be about 1 made 3 per game.
Crow seems like a great guy and teammate...but he wasn't good from 3, he barely drove the lane, he barely moved with the ball enough to engage in any fouls (He took 40 FT's in 4 years combined).
His best comp is Doug Brooks without the other intangibles that made Doug valuable (D/rebounds/et al)

May 5, 2009
I don't think his problem is only scoring. He's too friggin' short and not athletic enough. And for those people who have never played athletics at a high level, you don't practice day and night for 15 years and then in a few months miraculously develop a whole new skill set.
Probably only 6 feet 5 inches in socks.

Mar 2, 2014
Hamilton is a transfer who may have to sit a year. MSS might get 40+ minutes in Maryland's offense. He's gonna be tired.
The only way he gets 40 minutes a game is if the games are increased to 100 minutes. How quickly is he going to get in foul trouble against Big 10 competition?

Reactions: VRam
Dec 16, 2013
MSS going to get lot's of opportunities to play at very good programs at the P5 level (P6). not sure why all the haters here don't want to accept the fact we are losing our best returning player who has contributed greatly to our success in the last 2 years - he is going somewhere that he will play 25 minutes or more (whether as a starter or off the bench)

I am not a believer that the NBA is going to draft him (no matter where he played)- just don't see a 6'7" guy like him playing at the next level without an ability to shoot from 3 or take the ball to the rim from the perimeter -
he plays D and rebounds well enough to play at the P6 level for all but the very top programs - he will not be the alpha dog at a maryland, Texas Tech, or even an ASU but could be a top 2 player at Ole Miss or Georgia IMHO and maybe PSU. He has good hands and good feet movement on the block to score down low - outside of 7 feet I would not have a lot of confidence in him shooting anything but wide open shots from 12-15 feet

We all know he plays with high motor when on the court and I for one think in a conference like Big Ten/Big 12 he will be allowed to be more physical and not have to chase in the press or on high hedges so his fouls will probably be less but that maybe a function of do those teams have other bigs that he will be playing along side of
Like many of you I wish he would have stayed - unfortunately he isn't

I wish I knew what really happened behind the scenes so we didn't have to speculate so much on this board about what happened that lead to the second half of the season collapse (gang it wasn't injuries!!!)
go rams

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
I would bet Maryland, with their situation at center, are looking at other centers than MSS. If they swing and miss, MSS could be their guy. If those two things happen he will get a lot of minutes. He’s a hard worker so he will have some level of success.
No way is he playing in the league.
He had his best game at home vs fUR where he looked dominant dunking all over Golden. After that game he regressed to missed layups and turnovers. The inconsistency was mind numbing.
Loved his work ethic. Wish him the best. But once you move on from VCU prematurely , I usually lose interest.

Jan 17, 2010
Mo was a great rim protector, no doubt...but not nearly the rebounder that MSS is.
Not just rebounding in this because no one can say MSS wasn’t a great rebounder. What I meant is the impact Mo had on games was greater. He ran like a gazelle, jumped as high as anyone, guarded multiple positions, and met everyone at the rim no matter their size (on the offensive or defensive end).

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Not just rebounding in this because no one can say MSS wasn’t a great rebounder. What I meant is the impact Mo had on games was greater. He ran like a gazelle, jumped as high as anyone, guarded multiple positions, and met everyone at the rim no matter their size (on the offensive or defensive end).
Three time A10 All Defensive Team for a reason.

Nov 3, 2014
Full disclosure-I agree with others well articulated comments here that this in the end may be bad advice for MSS to be getting- time will tell.

I was not a huge MSS fan when he started at VCU but his game has grown and he as an athlete has grown on me. This mainly as a result of his hard work ethic and improvements in SOME areas of his game. He been a blessing to our program and wish him well.

That said the thing that drove me craziest (other than free throws and stupid fouls) was that when we sent the ball into the paint it was rarely kicked back out to teammates waiting or cutters to the rim (see cough cough...fur). Occasionally he would look and try but most of the time when it went into the paint he immediately committed to getting a shot off regardless. In my opinion this mentality hurt us more than helped because he didn’t always finish bunnies, other guys were open as a result of double teams and it further limited our rebounding capacity as defenders were enmasse and other VCU guys were not working crashing the paint to get position (other than Vince and Cory when on the court).

What BMB may bring to the table (that MSS lacked) is better court sense, better passing, the height to see over the defenders (even double teams) and good decision making on when to put it back verses kick it out. He may not put up MSS numbers in scoring but we will have others to do that( I’d take 8/10/3 from him with better decision making). Key is... when we kick someone has to finish. Looking at you young bucks!

Sorry to see MSS go but this may be best for both of us in the end- sure hoping that is the case.

Go Rams and stay safe all-

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
In my opinion this mentality hurt us more than helped because he didn’t always finish bunnies, other guys were open as a result of double teams and it further limited our rebounding capacity as defenders were enmasse and other VCU guys were not working crashing the paint to get position (other than Vince and Cory when on the court).
/QUOTE]

Top 3 bunny missers all-time -
1. Elmer J Fudd
2. Yosemite Sam
3. Marcus Santos-Silva