Players Marcus Santos-Silva

Jul 14, 2011
That said the thing that drove me craziest (other than free throws and stupid fouls) was that when we sent the ball into the paint it was rarely kicked back out to teammates waiting or cutters to the rim (see cough cough...fur). Occasionally he would look and try but most of the time when it went into the paint he immediately committed to getting a shot off regardless. In my opinion this mentality hurt us more than helped because he didn’t always finish bunnies, other guys were open as a result of double teams and it further limited our rebounding capacity as defenders were enmasse and other VCU guys were not working crashing the paint to get position (other than Vince and Cory when on the court).
This is a program issue and not an MSS issue. Tillman’s senior season was the exact same. Ball went to him in the paint and it was going to be shot. You would even notice players limit their movement after the ball was pushed inside. I felt like that limited Tillman’s growth that year as it would have opened up his game more as teams would have had to be more versatile in how they defended him. Both that season and this seasons successes could have been greater if we played more of an inside out game Because it would have opened up more avenues for attacking other teams. Hopefully this can be improved moving forward.

Reactions: Tedicola

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
This is a program issue and not an MSS issue. Tillman’s senior season was the exact same. Ball went to him in the paint and it was going to be shot. You would even notice players limit their movement after the ball was pushed inside. I felt like that limited Tillman’s growth that year as it would have opened up his game more as teams would have had to be more versatile in how they defended him. Both that season and this seasons successes could have been greater if we played more of an inside out game Because it would have opened up more avenues for attacking other teams. Hopefully this can be improved moving forward.
Those two are not even in the same league. Apples to oranges here. Justin Tillman was 1st team A10 for a reason. If our team as a whole would’ve been better he was A10 POY hands down. Tillman finished the bunnies that MSS built a house with. That’s why the ball never came back out. He was our best player by 10 country miles and consistently carried us. That team doesn’t win 10 games without him that year and our basketball program could’ve been severely impacted. That kid had a bigger impact on this program than most will ever realize.

I’m curious as to how the way Mike used him limited his growth. How did other teams guard him that limited his versatility? They couldn’t stop him....

Nov 3, 2014
Those two are not even in the same league. Apples to oranges here. Justin Tillman was 1st team A10 for a reason. If our team as a whole would’ve been better he was A10 POY hands down. Tillman finished the bunnies that MSS built a house with. That’s why the ball never came back out. He was our best player by 10 country miles and consistently carried us. That team doesn’t win 10 games without him that year and our basketball program could’ve been severely impacted. That kid had a bigger impact on this program than most will ever realize.

I’m curious as to how the way Mike used him limited his growth. How did other teams guard him that limited his versatility? They couldn’t stop him....
Good point it is different Rams4life. And made shots in addition to scoring, reduced need for Offensive rebounds and allowed set up of D verses quicker transition and maybe easier baskets by opponent.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
MSS's uncle was also a big time critic of Rhoades. He also was not fond of our guards and it was like MSS was the next huge basketball superstar who could do no wrong. I hope family didn't get into his ear.

May 4, 2012
Agreed but beware speaking of Tillman.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
MSS's uncle was also a big time critic of Rhoades. He also was not fond of our guards and it was like MSS was the next huge basketball superstar who could do no wrong. I hope family didn't get into his ear.
I’m positive that’s exactly what happened. They convinced him to transfer. Notably the uncle seems particularly interested in MSS going to Texas Tech (per Facebook), but MSS hasn’t committed anywhere yet.

Mar 18, 2012
I never said I didn’t think he wouldn’t end up at a P5...me most definitely will. I just think he will be a benchwarmer. Just because he goes to a school that has produced 4 straight first round PF/C does not mean he will be one.

Again, I hope and pray I eat crow because I love the kid. And I’m sure @ramfan84 will rub it in my face when I am wrong like last time. But in my experience I don’t see it happening.
No, I rubbed it in your face because you made it personal.

Jul 30, 2014
I’m positive that’s exactly what happened. They convinced him to transfer. Notably the uncle seems particularly interested in MSS going to Texas Tech (per Facebook), but MSS hasn’t committed anywhere yet.
It's not like Texas Tech was having a great year this past season.