Players Marcus Tsohonis in the transfer portal

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Random thought, I would hate to be a college basketball coach this time of year. Not only are you being reviewed but you are reviewing players, that just 1-2 years ago you promised the world to, and have to tell them that their scholarships are not being renewed.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Had to get closer to home. It has worked in the past.

I think those waiver days are going to be few and far between since everyone gets one transfer without having to sit out a year. Plus, like I said earlier, why would a school waste a scholarship on a player transferring that has to sit out a year when the transfer portal is full of first time transfers? Good luck for him finding a decent landing spot.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
They give waivers for anything now, I expect he'll be fine.

That was prior to the new transfer rules going into place. That's why they now get one free transfer. I'll bet transfer waivers are going to be a lot tougher to get now that college player get one free transfer without sitting.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I know you're technically right, and I'll be sure to eat crowd if I'm wrong, but I don't hardly any transfers having an issue playing immediately. It's not based on anything in particular, and I'm sure the NCAA will decide to be a hardass on some random kid, but I'm willing to bet most kids will transfer without penalty.

If that happens, then it will totally defeat the purpose of giving them one free transfer.

rammad90

Elite Member
It's a shame it couldn't play defense.
Agreed. I think it is the playing of D so aggressively that led to his career low in shooting and scoring. The guy's ft % dropped 10% and his fg dropped 7%. #tiredlegs

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
You don’t need a reason for a waiver anymore.

That is only true for first time transfers. If the NCAA lets college players transfer multiple times without sitting out a year, then the entire system will crash and you might as well have an annual youth league draft to pick your team for the upcoming year. And you can bet NIL's will be out of control also.

VAHills

Elite Member
That is only true for first time transfers. If the NCAA lets college players transfer multiple times without sitting out a year, then the entire system will crash and you might as well have an annual youth league draft to pick your team for the upcoming year. And you can bet NIL's will be out of control also.
#CharlieMoore. BTW, the first player I’ve ever seen to play at 4 different schools during his college career. Weird to think how close we thought we were to landing him those many years ago.

Mercury

Elite Member

First time transfers aren’t part of the waiver system. You don’t need a waiver because instant eligibility is automatically granted.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
#CharlieMoore. BTW, the first player I’ve ever seen to play at 4 different schools during his college career. Weird to think how close we thought we were to landing him those many years ago.

Moore basically got one waiver, when he transferred from Kansas to DePaul due to his ill father, and being from Chicago. He had to red shirt his first year at Kansas after leaving Cal, and last year his transfer to Miami was under the new transfer rules.

FYI - Moore also decommitted from Memphis after Josh Pastner took the Georgia Tech job and then signed with Cal.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
First time transfers aren’t part of the waiver system. You don’t need a waiver because instant eligibility is automatically granted.

I understand that and the new first time transfer rule should have a significant impact on additional waivers, unless they are family health issues. There will always be some waivers, but the new first time transfer rule will reduce those waivers significantly.

Tsohonis is NOT going to get a waiver because he misses his hair stylist from Washington and wants to move closer to them.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
Gilmore was on 3 teams but on 4 occasions. VCU, Miami, FGCU, VCU. Although I do not think he ever actually played for Miami due his redshirt requirement back then

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Gilmore was on 3 teams but on 4 occasions. VCU, Miami, FGCU, VCU. Although I do not think he ever actually played for Miami due his redshirt requirement back then
Larranaga dismissed Gilmore from Miami along with another incoming transfer prior to the season and he ended up at FGCU.

He’s so old that I think it was Shaka, wasn’t it, who was recruiting him for us. Is that right?