Martin Henlan: His Life and eventual impact on British Basketball

duncanlamb

Elite Member
With arrival of Lawal this week and the discourse of the competitive level of British basketball in the lawal thread, i decided to pull up an hour and 20 minute interview with Martin Henlan.

For those who don't know, Henlan was a 6'10 260 pound center from England who played for VCU in the late 80's. He played for vcu, went onto play 15 yearsin the BBL and become one of the major forces in moving the state of British Basketball after retirement.

For the old timers,p ay attention to his remarks his recruitment and menories of VCU, you will be surprised.

"
this little over an hour episode, hear from Henlan on:
  • Why the rain is what made him first pick up a basketball
  • The early years of basketball in Birmingham and playing for West Brom
  • The impact of playing junior games directly before seniors
  • Getting cut from the England Under-19s providing the spark to take the game more seriously
  • How his move to the US first came about as an international exchange student
  • His arrival to the US and walking into a gym to see coaches from Virginia, Maryland, Boston, VCU, and NC State all there to watch him
  • Why he was ruled ineligible and never end up playing a game for his High School
  • The rec league that really aided his development as a player
  • What made him choose VCU and his memories of his college career
  • Why he didn’t respond to the NBA teams that showed interest in him
  • The call from Kevin Cadle that saw him turn pro in the BBL having already decided to go to graduate school and get a job
  • His experiences in Kingston competing at the highest levels of Europe
  • The Bosman ruling and how it changed the British basketball landscape
  • Why he set up the first Basketball Players Association in the UK
  • The politics that saw him left out of the England Senior Men’s squad which still pains him to this day
  • The BBL’s decision to walk away from Sky to sign with NTL, who shortly went bust afterwards
  • Why British basketball needs to do a much better job of marketing its star players
  • Why the BBL becoming ‘a democracy’ was the worst thing to happen to the sport
  • And much, much more!

With arrival of Lawal this week and the discourse of the competitive level of British basketball in the lawal thread, i decided to pull up an hour and 20 minute interview with Martin Henlan.

For those who don't know, Henlan was a 6'10 260 pound center from England who played for VCU in the late 80's. He played for vcu, went onto play 15 yearsin the BBL and become one of the major forces in moving the state of British Basketball after retirement.

For the old timers,p ay attention to his remarks his recruitment and menories of VCU, you will be surprised.

"
this little over an hour episode, hear from Henlan on:
  • Why the rain is what made him first pick up a basketball
  • The early years of basketball in Birmingham and playing for West Brom
  • The impact of playing junior games directly before seniors
  • Getting cut from the England Under-19s providing the spark to take the game more seriously
  • How his move to the US first came about as an international exchange student
  • His arrival to the US and walking into a gym to see coaches from Virginia, Maryland, Boston, VCU, and NC State all there to watch him
  • Why he was ruled ineligible and never end up playing a game for his High School
  • The rec league that really aided his development as a player
  • What made him choose VCU and his memories of his college career
  • Why he didn’t respond to the NBA teams that showed interest in him
  • The call from Kevin Cadle that saw him turn pro in the BBL having already decided to go to graduate school and get a job
  • His experiences in Kingston competing at the highest levels of Europe
  • The Bosman ruling and how it changed the British basketball landscape
  • Why he set up the first Basketball Players Association in the UK
  • The politics that saw him left out of the England Senior Men’s squad which still pains him to this day
  • The BBL’s decision to walk away from Sky to sign with NTL, who shortly went bust afterwards
  • Why British basketball needs to do a much better job of marketing its star players
  • Why the BBL becoming ‘a democracy’ was the worst thing to happen to the sport
  • And much, much more!

Henlan was not immediately eligible at VCU, but academics had nothing to do with it. I recall coach Pollio saying "he's got the best high school transcript I've ever seen." I need to check on this, but I believe Martin had a 20-rebound game somewhere along the line.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Henlan was not immediately eligible at VCU, but academics had nothing to do with it. I recall coach Pollio saying "he's got the best high school transcript I've ever seen." I need to check on this, but I believe Martin had a 20-rebound game somewhere along the line.

Check out the interview. It's worth every second

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
We played Syracuse at there place one year and lost. Not because of Martin as he had over twenty rebounds. Martin was not the most gifted player offensively, but dang, you have to want it to go into ‘Cuse and snatch that many ribbies.

We played Syracuse at there place one year and lost. Not because of Martin as he had over twenty rebounds. Martin was not the most gifted player offensively, but dang, you have to want it to go into ‘Cuse and snatch that many ribbies.
Don’t think it was Syracuse.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I need more hours in all the days to listen to the good poop (let's see what the word sheett translates to).

edit. I knew the word poop.

Henlan was a beast and a real competitor for the Rams. I'd take 5 of him on my team and beat everybody.