Massive deficits

May 1, 2009
Frankly this team is awful
Only a couple years of solid recruiting can turn this thing around
Awful? We are a going to have a 20 win season. I would not call this team awful. But I do believe the players feel "defeated", especially the seniors. I think the GMU loss was a crushing loss on the psyche of this team. Personally, like most of the fans, I think the players came into the season listening to all hoopla, top 25 this and that, thought they were bigger, better, badder than they actually are/were.
But every team has their cycles. Ours lasted almost 20 years. At this point, I am not even sure the NIT is attainable. I just hope the new recruits coming in are as good as advertised because we are now looking at some serious rebuilding over the next 2 season until we raise our experience level
As far as the team.....we haven't really been a great 3 point shooting team over the last several year. Get MSS into foul trouble early, he then has to sit, then throw a zone at us and we end up not having a lot of scoring inside (assuming we can get the ball over the zone), no one seems to be able to drive the ball in for a layup....or at least make the basket when they drive in for the layup and then we must rely on the 3 pointer with the zone and the ability to defend us very close on the perimeter making the 3 point shot difficult. Add to that the man to man defense with each man helping out always leaves someone on the opposition wide open.
Just a very frustrating season.

Apr 20, 2009
The A10, for most teams, is vastly improved over last year. Last year, with a less than 100% ME, we were able to roll through the regular season. ME, last year, more than compensated for the abilities of his teammates. ME is definitely down in his production from last year. With the exception of DJ, none of the seniors have improved over last year and DJ's improvement, as well as MSS, Curry, and Douglas has not been enough to compensate for what we've lost in ME. I don't mean saying the seniors not improving as an insult. They've developed their skills to there fullest potential and they're D1 athletes in a very good conference. That says a lot. It just seems that very high expectations, built on a 100% ME never materialized.

May 4, 2012
Positionless basketball may work for a few otherwise very talented teams but its diing little for us. And its only natural that it gets worse on the road.

May 4, 2012
Awful? We are a going to have a 20 win season. I would not call this team awful. But I do believe the players feel "defeated", especially the seniors. I think the GMU loss was a crushing loss on the psyche of this team. Personally, like most of the fans, I think the players came into the season listening to all hoopla, top 25 this and that, thought they were bigger, better, badder than they actually are/were.
But every team has their cycles. Ours lasted almost 20 years. At this point, I am not even sure the NIT is attainable. I just hope the new recruits coming in are as good as advertised because we are now looking at some serious rebuilding over the next 2 season until we raise our experience level
As far as the team.....we haven't really been a great 3 point shooting team over the last several year. Get MSS into foul trouble early, he then has to sit, then throw a zone at us and we end up not having a lot of scoring inside (assuming we can get the ball over the zone), no one seems to be able to drive the ball in for a layup....or at least make the basket when they drive in for the layup and then we must rely on the 3 pointer with the zone and the ability to defend us very close on the perimeter making the 3 point shot difficult. Add to that the man to man defense with each man helping out always leaves someone on the opposition wide open.
We may have a 20 win season.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Small point: we'd need to win three more games to hit 20 wins, and I don't think we're going to make it.

May 1, 2009
Small point: we'd need to win three more games to hit 20 wins, and I don't think we're going to make it.
We have a total of 5 more games to do it against at least 2-3 weaker teams the rest of the season and then a game in the tournament. Still think it is doable. But at even 18 or 19 wins, I don't think that makes us an awful team.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
I agree with this take. If anyone is otherwise confident we get there I would love to hear which three they are certain we'll win. It looks to me like two more wins are hopeful at best and I wouldn't put money on those games. It's really sad hoping to limp to a .500 record in the conference. Where's the seating chart for '20-'21?

May 4, 2012
We have a total of 5 more games to do it against at least 2-3 weaker teams the rest of the season and then a game in the tournament. Still think it is doable. But at even 18 or 19 wins, I don't think that makes us an awful team.
Yup. Fordham is awful, StJoeys is awful. We're ordinary. But after all the hype, ordinary is in their heads and the wheels are very loose on the Radio Flyer. We shall see if coaching can do anything about that.

Apr 21, 2009
I just don't get it. How can you take a first place A-10 team, lose Mike Gilmore, gain 1 more year of experience, and get significantly worse the following year? I just dont understand how a senior ladened team like this can't get it together. Am I missing something behind the scenes? And it ain't all Evans. Our 3 point defensive this year is a disgrace, last year was darn best in the nation.

Feb 20, 2009
I just don't get it. How can you take a first place A-10 team, lose Mike Gilmore, gain 1 more year of experience, and get significantly worse the following year? I just dont understand how a senior ladened team like this can't get it together. Am I missing something behind the scenes? And it ain't all Evans. Our 3 point defensive this year is a disgrace, last year was darn best in the nation.

They probably don’t like each other.

Reactions: Newboy and Sethjax
Apr 24, 2009
My expectations for this team went from Top 25 and potential Elite 8 to dropping like wet cow manure on a hot day. I would hate for us to lose any more, but now it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we did. This team just doesn’t look good right now. All the questions I have about this team will most likely never be answered. Only the team and coaches know what’s up, how they are doing and what they feel they need to do going forward. The only place to go now is up. Losing any more at this point wouldn’t make this team any worse a team in my eyes. It would be an amazing outcome if we win out the rest of the season. At this rate, this team will exceed my expectations if they win another 1-2 more games. IMHO.

I will still watch and root for these guys. It’s just a different year. Complaining aint going to make this team any better. I’ve now realized my expectations for this team will most likely never match reality. How to fix this? Set my expectations to the bottom and any gain at this point will then exceed my expectations. That’s what this season has come down to for me.

This team can still be better and turn the year around before and during the conference tourny and the NCAA tourny. That window of opportunity is still open. It never was closed to them. They just need to find a way to take care of business.

Reactions: RamStrut

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The early expectations from every source to the meteoric fall certainly adds to the angst.

My expectations have been reset many times this year and each time they have been too high. Guess I’m a slow learner. I am play the long game here now...looking forward to next year early.
Can we win the tournament?...sure ...but the turnaround that will be needed to accomplish that is equal to the U turn we just took. But no expectations from me ...my reset has hit rock bottom.