Michael Gilmore Deserves His Own Thread..

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
The man (newphew of the great Artis Gilmore) and a 4-star recruit chooses us one of his "official" visits and we give absolutely no love. C'mon Nation, I get the John Holmes "Caligula" like party we are having over our most recent signing...but this guy deserves our love!!!!!!

He's not chopped liver...He's a heck of a player with a 7'3" reach!!! and still growing...

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
check out his genes....If he's half the player his uncle was...We win the NC championship!! Dude is still growing!!!!

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
The man (newphew of the great Artis Gilmore) and a 4-star recruit chooses us one of his "official" visits and we give absolutely no love. C'mon Nation, I get the John Holmes "Caligula" like party we are having over our most recent signing...but this guy deserves our love!!!!!!

He's not chopped liver...He's a heck of a player with a 7'3" reach!!! and still growing...

ME LIKE-- very much. Totally different player than Makinde but either can run with our style and fill a need. I agree with districtballer in the down the road potential of Makinde is huge, but Gimore arrives with a lot of something we can use. I don't think we would sit on a commitment from Gilmore to wait for Makinde with a possibility of getting neither if we wait. Let's wish for a choice of at least one. Gilmore looks like another missing piece.

Reactions: rammad90

GRID

Insider
Mar 18, 2013

He had my vote after the 28th block in that clip

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I think he would be a sensational addition and would ensure that this is the greatest recruiting class in VCU history.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Gilmore will take his visit to Georgia Tech on the Sept. 28th weekend.

Coaching staff and comfort with the team and system are important factors, but he also mentioned in the past that he would like to play close to home and at as competitive and high-level a conference as possible.

Georgia Tech fits both bills being in Georgia and the ACC so it will be interesting to see how much the VCU visit may have changed his thinking.

On the other hand, Makinde has said he doesn't care about the conference and wants the right coach to grow his game and the right fit.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Well, I know the staff has this all plotted out, and whatever result they want is what we all should want, but at this point, I am breathing a lot easier. If we didn't add to the class at all, it would be an all-time great. A four-star-but-vastly-underrated pass-first point guard, a defense-first-and-rebound-machine big, and a match-up nightmare on the wing. Just unbelievable.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Well, I know the staff has this all plotted out, and whatever result they want is what we all should want, but at this point, I am breathing a lot easier. If we didn't add to the class at all, it would be an all-time great. A four-star-but-vastly-underrated pass-first point guard, a defense-first-and-rebound-machine big, and a match-up nightmare on the wing. Just unbelievable.
'We're not done yet.' -Shaka Smart

Scooter

Top Member
Jun 2, 2013
So he has the visit to GT on the 28th, does he have one after that? When does London visit us?

vcurams05

Top Member
Nov 8, 2011
So he has the visit to GT on the 28th, does he have one after that? When does London visit us?
London takes his final official visit to VCU on the weekend of October 11th. This happens to be the same weekend we hold the Black and Gold Ball and the Black and Gold Game!

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I'm with you. Call it a gut feeling....but I think Gilmore really wants to be a Ram.

In fairness to him, VCU fans and this situation though, yes we should be all over him on this forum, but this is the first time since Kendrick Warren that we've landed a recruit the caliber of Larrier, so naturally that's going to get the attention, similar deal with London. If London had committed and Larrier hadn't, he would have been the highest rated player since Warren.

Gilmore on the other hand may very well end up a Ram, and could end up being a beast too. That said, won't we have to lose a current Ram for that to happen? I mean, this last offer we're all drooling over is currently for someone's spot who will return to our team next year, which is why I think people aren't jumping all over Gilmore like they are the top-100 guys, even if Gilmore may end up having the better career.

edit* Also wanted to ad it seems we've known about our involvement with London and Larrier a lot longer as well.

Reactions: vcuboy22
Apr 15, 2011
Gilmore on the other hand may very well end up a Ram, and could end up being a beast too. That said, won't we have to lose a current Ram for that to happen? I mean, this last offer we're all drooling over is currently for someone's spot who will return to our team next year, which is why I think people aren't jumping all over Gilmore like they are the top-100 guys, even if Gilmore may end up having the better career.
I certainly feel this way. Even though I understand that the coaching staff is only trying to prepare for the inevitability of turnover, it tempers my enthusiasm a bit knowing this last spot will mean that one of current guys will be gone next year. I like all of our guys and I hope for them all to succeed here, even if that isn't realistic.

Reactions: vcubob