Michael Gilmore Deserves His Own Thread..

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by duncanlamb, Sep 16, 2013.

1. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Legend Top Member

The man (newphew of the great Artis Gilmore) and a 4-star recruit chooses us one of his "official" visits and we give absolutely no love. C'mon Nation, I get the John Holmes "Caligula" like party we are having over our most recent signing...but this guy deserves our love!!!!!!

He's not chopped liver...He's a heck of a player with a 7'3" reach!!! and still growing...

ShootTheJay, painter07, Ram14 and 2 others like this.
  2. VAHills

VAHills Legend Top Member

Got to love guys that finish with authority!

3. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Legend Top Member

check out his genes....If he's half the player his uncle was...We win the NC championship!! Dude is still growing!!!!

4. DCRAM

DCRAM 6th Man

First time I'm seeing clips of Michael and I like what I'm seeing!

5. Ram14

Ram14 Legend Top Member

ME LIKE-- very much. Totally different player than Makinde but either can run with our style and fill a need. I agree with districtballer in the down the road potential of Makinde is huge, but Gimore arrives with a lot of something we can use. I don't think we would sit on a commitment from Gilmore to wait for Makinde with a possibility of getting neither if we wait. Let's wish for a choice of at least one. Gilmore looks like another missing piece.

rammad90 likes this.
  6. GRID

GRID Hall of Famer

He had my vote after the 28th block in that clip

7. N Mollen

N Mollen Legend Top Member

I think he would be a sensational addition and would ensure that this is the greatest recruiting class in VCU history.

8. districtballer

districtballer Legend Top Member

Gilmore will take his visit to Georgia Tech on the Sept. 28th weekend.

Coaching staff and comfort with the team and system are important factors, but he also mentioned in the past that he would like to play close to home and at as competitive and high-level a conference as possible.

Georgia Tech fits both bills being in Georgia and the ACC so it will be interesting to see how much the VCU visit may have changed his thinking.

On the other hand, Makinde has said he doesn't care about the conference and wants the right coach to grow his game and the right fit.

9. N Mollen

Well, I know the staff has this all plotted out, and whatever result they want is what we all should want, but at this point, I am breathing a lot easier. If we didn't add to the class at all, it would be an all-time great. A four-star-but-vastly-underrated pass-first point guard, a defense-first-and-rebound-machine big, and a match-up nightmare on the wing. Just unbelievable.

SunBelt85 and districtballer like this.
  10. districtballer

districtballer Legend Top Member

'We're not done yet.' -Shaka Smart

11. N Mollen

I hear you. And I'm all for it. I just don't want to lose sight of what has been accomplished already.

stevesvcu90 and districtballer like this.
  12. Scooter

Scooter Legend Top Member

So he has the visit to GT on the 28th, does he have one after that? When does London visit us?

13. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend Top Member

London takes his final official visit to VCU on the weekend of October 11th. This happens to be the same weekend we hold the Black and Gold Ball and the Black and Gold Game!

14. Natty

Natty Co-Founder Staff Member Top Member

I'm with you. Call it a gut feeling....but I think Gilmore really wants to be a Ram.

In fairness to him, VCU fans and this situation though, yes we should be all over him on this forum, but this is the first time since Kendrick Warren that we've landed a recruit the caliber of Larrier, so naturally that's going to get the attention, similar deal with London. If London had committed and Larrier hadn't, he would have been the highest rated player since Warren.

Gilmore on the other hand may very well end up a Ram, and could end up being a beast too. That said, won't we have to lose a current Ram for that to happen? I mean, this last offer we're all drooling over is currently for someone's spot who will return to our team next year, which is why I think people aren't jumping all over Gilmore like they are the top-100 guys, even if Gilmore may end up having the better career.

edit* Also wanted to ad it seems we've known about our involvement with London and Larrier a lot longer as well.

vcuboy22 likes this.
  15. painter07

painter07 Starter

I certainly feel this way. Even though I understand that the coaching staff is only trying to prepare for the inevitability of turnover, it tempers my enthusiasm a bit knowing this last spot will mean that one of current guys will be gone next year. I like all of our guys and I hope for them all to succeed here, even if that isn't realistic.

vcubob likes this.