Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
It seems obvious that the team is still struggling with finding the right roles for people, and particularly with how the senior leaders are balancing "leading" and "contributing." Maybe this break came at exactly the right time.
MR said: " Everyone around here is walking on egg shells. We're 7-2 with 2 close losses to good teams. We need to enjoy it.".

I feel like he was talking to everyone on here including myself.

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I've read a number of posts on here about the team not being prepared enough for Purdue and TN but I beg to differ. We/MR chose the schedule not because it was easy, but because it was hard (if I can borrow a quote from JFK). I don't think any of us, including MR, though some of the teams we would play would have such a turd of a season. We anticipated that the teams would test us/or challenge us a bit more in preparation for the latter part of the OOC.
Nonetheless, the schedule is what it is an we have to take what is given us. And if anything, we see we can play with the big boys....LSU, Purdue and TN. We only lost by 3 points to both Purdue and TN....and TN was literally a last second second shot for the win. There is a lot more good than bad going on with our team. I think many of us fans as well as some of the team got a little too high on their horse and now have to come back down into the saddle and get to work. As Melania says, "Be Best!!" ;)

Reactions: HBK and duncanlamb

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I don't see a lot of belly aching about losing, the belly aching is more about HOW we lost. Yes, those were close defeats to good teams, but they were both winnable had we played to our capabilities. We didn't lose on a last second shot to TN, we lost that game in the first half. I am fine with a lose if the other team is clearly better, but I don't think that was the case. I know my opinion is probably not popular, but we need to start winning games against second tier P5 teams.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I don't see a lot of belly aching about losing, the belly aching is more about HOW we lost. Yes, those were close defeats to good teams, but they were both winnable had we played to our capabilities. We didn't lose on a last second shot to TN, we lost that game in the first half. I am fine with a lose if the other team is clearly better, but I don't think that was the case. I know my opinion is probably not popular, but we need to start winning games against second tier P5 teams.
When you say second tier, do you mean P5's which will finish middle of the pack in conference?

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Average first halves for us wins those games. You're right; they were lost in the first half, and then extreme catch up in the second to make for close games.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
We certainly see the basketball hierarchy differently if you think Purdue and Tennessee are second tier teams, although I suppose that's a given since you also think VCU is the fourth best team in the A-10 currently.