Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
We certainly see the basketball hierarchy differently if you think Purdue and Tennessee are second tier teams, although I suppose that's a given since you also think VCU is the fourth best team in the A-10 currently.
TN was picked to finish 6th in the SEC
Purdue was picked to finish 4th in the Big 10.
Neither is exactly a blue blood in basketball.
So yes, second tier P5, but just my opinion.
But still, teams we need to beat if we are to aspire to a higher level.
That is not slamming our team by any means....I would only wish that we could starting beating some of these teams on a semi-regular basis.

As far as my comment about VCU 4th best in the A10..... some context, I did say 3rd or 4th and I did say as of today. Am no means predicting we finish 4th. I don't think you can argue that at this time Dayton is not the team to beat. Arguments could be made that both Richmond and St. Louis are playing at a higher levels. Not convinced about Mason or Duquesne. Davidson is certainly talented, but a team that is not playing up to potential. And not sure you can count out RI.

So yes, long season and lots of great action and nail biting games to come. But, I could see us finishing anywhere from 1st to 4th. Would not surprise me either way.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
TN was picked to finish 6th in the SEC
Purdue was picked to finish 4th in the Big 10.
Neither is exactly a blue blood in basketball.
So yes, second tier P5, but just my opinion.
But still, teams we need to beat if we are to aspire to a higher level.
That is not slamming our team by any means....I would only wish that we could starting beating some of these teams on a semi-regular basis.

As far as my comment about VCU 4th best in the A10..... some context, I did say 3rd or 4th and I did say as of today. Am no means predicting we finish 4th. I don't think you can argue that at this time Dayton is not the team to beat. Arguments could be made that both Richmond and St. Louis are playing at a higher levels. Not convinced about Mason or Duquesne. Davidson is certainly talented, but a team that is not playing up to potential. And not sure you can count out RI.

So yes, long season and lots of great action and nail biting games to come. But, I could see us finishing anywhere from 1st to 4th. Would not surprise me either way.
I appreciate the reply; might've sounded more argumentative than I intended.

Sure, I agree Dayton has pole position, although it's more an eye test than metric thing there. I don't see any way to call VCU anything other than #2 if not co-favorite, though. Looking forward to their offense against our defense. Glad we get them twice and hope they stay ranked all season.

As for Purdue and Tennessee, I don't think 2 and 3 seeds as recently as last year qualify as second tier, particularly not Purdue. If not for a great play by Diakite they might well be the defending national champions. Painter is easy to joke on, but he's a great coach. Barnes isn't a slouch either, and the change of scenery seems to have done wonders for him and his staff. Granted, both schools graduated a lot of production (especially Tennessee), but I highly doubt either will finish where they were predicted in conference. Purdue is 6th on KP and 4th on Torvik, while Tennessee is higher than Virginia Tech and Georgia in both systems (significantly so in KP). In any event, they're both currently very good programs. I get they don't have the cachet of UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc, and maybe that's what you meant by them being second tier. If so we can chalk it up to semantics - I see usual Top 30 teams as tier one and think they both qualify.

It frustrates me we lost, too, but ranking systems see a game against Purdue on a neutral court as basically a wash when compared to Kansas (KP 5, Torvik 3). Even with a horrendous first half we came as close to winning that game as Dayton did theirs against the Jayhawks. Something worth considering.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Not sure who posted it but it not the losing...it’s turning it over 21 times and losing by 3....it’s going 16 minutes without a basket and losing by three. Not as painful but just as disconcerting was to be losing to odu at half on our court..having more turnovers than assist and getting mauled on the boards.
Both eye test and the stat test indicates we have room for improvement. Sunday sounds like a great day to start hitting our stride

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I appreciate the reply; might've sounded more argumentative than I intended.

Sure, I agree Dayton has pole position, although it's more an eye test than metric thing there. I don't see any way to call VCU anything other than #2 if not co-favorite, though. Looking forward to their offense against our defense. Glad we get them twice and hope they stay ranked all season.

As for Purdue and Tennessee, I don't think 2 and 3 seeds as recently as last year qualify as second tier, particularly not Purdue. If not for a great play by Diakite they might well be the defending national champions. Painter is easy to joke on, but he's a great coach. Barnes isn't a slouch either, and the change of scenery seems to have done wonders for him and his staff. Granted, both schools graduated a lot of production (especially Tennessee), but I highly doubt either will finish where they were predicted in conference. Purdue is 6th on KP and 4th on Torvik, while Tennessee is higher than bother Virginia Tech and Georgia in both systems (significantly so in KP). In any event, they're both currently very good programs. I get they don't have the cachet of UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc, and maybe that's what you meant by them being second tier. If so we can chalk it up to semantics - I see usual Top 30 teams as tier one and think they both qualify.

It frustrates me we lost both, too, but ranking systems see a game against Purdue on a neutral court as basically a wash when compared to Kansas (KP 5, Torvik 3). Even with a horrendous first half we came as close to winning that game as Dayton did theirs against the Jayhawks. Something worth considering.
You bring up valid points, you are correct, mostly eye test. Agree, Painter and Barnes are good coaches. Yes, semantics, I don't see these two in step with a UNC, Duke etc...
Thank you for the civil discussion..... these are message boards and I learn stuff, may not agree all the time, but good conversation, thanks.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
You bring up valid points, you are correct, mostly eye test. Agree, Painter and Barnes are good coaches. Yes, semantics, I don't see these two in step with a UNC, Duke etc...
Thank you for the civil discussion..... these are message boards and I learn stuff, may not agree all the time, but good conversation, thanks.
Likewise x2. Looking forward to seeing Sauer Center finished.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Where Purdue and Tennessee were predicted to end up in preseason conference polls is irrelevant to me, both because a "mid-tier" team in a P5 league could still be a high seed in the NCAAT when the league sends 6 or 7 teams to the tournament and because we now have actual results to displace those projections. Tennessee is currently #19 in the AP and Purdue is #28.

Reactions: VRam

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Where Purdue and Tennessee were predicted to end up in preseason conference polls is irrelevant to me, both because a "mid-tier" team in a P5 league could still be a high seed in the NCAAT when the league sends 6 or 7 teams to the tournament and because we now have actual results to displace those projections. Tennessee is currently #19 in the AP and Purdue is #28.
Purdue and Tennessee are good. LSU was picked above Tennessee I think. All three of those teams will finish in the top tier of their conferences.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Purdue and Tennessee are good. LSU was picked above Tennessee I think. All three of those teams will finish in the top tier of their conferences.
I dont think I will use the AP Poll going forward. I love Dusquene's progress but they dont deserve any votes.

Now the coaches pull seems [email protected]

Dayton #12, Tennessee #17, Purdue #26, VCU #29, LSU #33, Witchita St. #37.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Nov 10, 2012
I dont think I will use the AP Poll going forward. I love Dusquene's progress but they dont deserve any votes.

Now the coaches pull seems [email protected]

Dayton #12, Tennessee #17, Purdue #26, VCU #29, LSU #33, Witchita St. #37.
I've personally always liked the Coaches Poll over the AP Poll but unfortunately, the media doesn't use the Coaches Poll. I think this is one of those seasons where rankings really don't mean much. On any given night any team can lose. That was proven last night again when #1, #4 and #24 loss to unranked teams.

Mar 1, 2015
A
I've personally always liked the Coaches Poll over the AP Poll but unfortunately, the media doesn't use the Coaches Poll. I think this is one of those seasons where rankings really don't mean much. On any given night any team can lose. That was proven last night again when #1, #4 and #24 loss to unranked teams.
I think Kansas is the best team in the county. Dominating big which is rare and that guard can shoot and get by anyone. Kansas played great against Dayton and squeaked by them in OT. Dayton is for real. Did AG make a deal at the crossroads or something, where did this come from?

Reactions: duncanlamb
Nov 10, 2012
A

I think Kansas is the best team in the county. Dominating big which is rare and that guard can shoot and get by anyone. Kansas played great against Dayton and squeaked by them in OT. Dayton is for real. Did AG make a deal at the crossroads or something, where did this come from?
I think Ohio State is the best team right now. Of course that can change any night.

Reactions: Valley drop step