Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

Mar 1, 2015
Sure, I agree Dayton has pole position, although it's more an eye test than metric thing there. I don't see any way to call VCU anything other than #2 if not co-favorite, though. Looking forward to their offense against our defense. Glad we get them twice and hope they stay ranked all season.
RI looks much improved, and is just built to be a tough match up for VCU. They could definitely take 2nd.

The next group of Mason, UR, DQ, SL all seem pretty decent, Davidson could come around. There is probably a loss or two for VCU in that group. VCU May negotiate that field better than RI, but head to head RI may have the edge.

A10 looks incredibly interesting this year. Refreshing after the pile it’s been the last 2 years. Being as good as last year will not keep VCU in the top 2 spots. I actually can’t wait for conference play.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
RI looks much improved, and is just built to be a tough match up for VCU. They could definitely take 2nd.

The next group of Mason, UR, DQ, SL all seem pretty decent, Davidson could come around. There is probably a loss or two for VCU in that group. VCU May negotiate that field better than RI, but head to head RI may have the edge.

A10 looks incredibly interesting this year. Refreshing after the pile it’s been the last 2 years. Being as good as last year will not keep VCU in the top 2 spots. I actually can’t wait for conference play.
I'd say there's a loss or two for Dayton in that group as well. The Islanders are definitely better than last year and have played a pretty tough schedule. I still see them third as of today, which is an improvement since I expected Davidson to be number three - they're definitely the wild card, unfortunately. I hope they keep scuffling. Conference play will be a bloodbath, I don't think anyone will run away with it. I'll be amazed if the conference champ goes better than 14-4. The team that does that this year deserves some accolades. No free wins (well, other than Fordham).

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I'd say there's a loss or two for Dayton in that group as well. The Islanders are definitely better than last year and have played a pretty tough schedule. I still see them third as of today, which is an improvement since I expected Davidson to be number three - they're definitely the wild card, unfortunately. I hope they keep scuffling. Conference play will be a bloodbath, I don't think anyone will run away with it. I'll be amazed if the conference champ goes better than 14-4. The team that does that this year deserves some accolades. No free wins (well, other than Fordham).
History will tell you, on average, the conference winner will go 14-4 or 15-3. Very rarely 16-2, like we did last year. If you win out at home and split on the road, that = 14-4. But most top teams can expect a lose at home and maybe steal one of the road to finish above .500 on the road. So, I think the champ will be 14-4 at best. 11-7 might even get you a top 4 this year. I think we will have a lot of 11-7 teams.
Myself, can't wait for conference season, this month is crawling with the time between games.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Dayton is light years ahead of everyone else *right now.* They are playing like a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA tournament. That's not an indictment on us. They are just outrageously good. We have the potential to match their level of play, but we aren't there yet. I don't see them losing more than 3 A10 games, but I think we will get them at home in February. And yes that's with the much improved A10 overall.

Edit: This is supported by advanced metrics that only look at data since the season has started (not tethered to any degree to pre-season projections). Here's Torvik through yesterday's games.

1576105102479.png

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
SO I guess this means that there will be no post-game presser posted? Does MR intend to stop giving post-game pressers altogether?

I have to say this is a very disappointing change in practice. First no opposing coach pressers, now this

Reactions: AlienAiden
Nov 10, 2012
SO I guess this means that there will be no post-game presser posted? Does MR intend to stop giving post-game pressers altogether?

I have to say this is a very disappointing change in practice. First no opposing coach pressers, now this
The post game presser is up on the VCU Athletics YouTube page