Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone know who the guy is asking questions, specifically about how VCU hasn't won as an underdog this year? It is painfully clear to me that reporter has never actually played competitive sports, specifically basketball. Here is the post-game presser from last night:

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Does anyone know who the guy is asking questions, specifically about how VCU hasn't won as an underdog this year? It is painfully clear to me that reporter has never actually played competitive sports, specifically basketball. Here is the post-game presser from last night:
Pretty sure it‘s the guy running this website 😂

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Pretty sure it‘s the guy running this website 😂
Yeah that's @Natty I'm sure.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah that's @Natty I'm sure.
He does a great job with this website, but his questions need a bit of work. Like many posters, he needs to understand that advanced analytics and basic statistics often don't tell the whole story of a game or players. As Rhoades answered, there are things that show up on tape that don't show up on analytics.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
He does a great job with this website, but his questions need a bit of work. Like many posters, he needs to understand that advanced analytics and basic statistics often don't tell the whole story of a game or players. As Rhoades answered, there are things that show up on tape that don't show up on analytics.
Duquense has won alot of close games this season and it showed up in the last 8 minutes.

Collectively, they had the composure to make plays down the stretch coming off mistakes in the prior play.

That is the sign of mature team.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
the story they tell is so incomplete that there is a whole movie abut how a stats guys turned a baseball team around. They are so incomplete that every football team has data to determine when to go for two points or one. They are so incomplete that WW hired a specific person just to do analytics.

I don't see anything wrong with the question. I do agree that 100% of your decisions can not be based on analytics alone just like 100% of what you see on tape cannot be your only deciding factor. Both statisically and on film MSS is a poor freethrow shooter(55%) but last night he shot 67% if Dambrot looked only at tape or stats and chose to foul MSS at the end of the game, it probably doesn't go into overtime as an example as to why in isolation no single data point is flawless

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
So, because you have very traditional beliefs, that was cause to assert something negative about his athletic background. Look, we get you are old school when it comes to player evaluations.....there are a lot of former scouts just like that. There is room for both and frankly it is concerning that our HC is as dismissive as he comes across—his two predecessors were much more balanced and successful.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
the story they tell is so incomplete that there is a whole movie abut how a stats guys turned a baseball team around. They are so incomplete that every football team has data to determine when to go for two points or one. They are so incomplete that WW hired a specific person just to do analytics.

I don't see anything wrong with the question. I do agree that 100% of your decisions can not be based on analytics alone just like 100% of what you see on tape cannot be your only deciding factor. Both statisically and on film MSS is a poor freethrow shooter(55%) but last night he shot 67% if Dambrot looked only at tape or stats and chose to foul MSS at the end of the game, it probably doesn't go into overtime as an example as to why in isolation no single data point is flawless
And as I have said over and over on RamNation, as a guy who looks at statistics in my career every day, they play an important part, but they don't tell the entire story. Stats are great at playing the odds on certain things, like the FT shooting you mentioned. That is obvious. You'd rather have a 90% FT at the line than a 50% FT shooter. Yes, teams do spend lots of money on the analysis and they should. It can tell you a great deal, but it doesn't tell you the entire story. Even Will Wade knows that to be the case. The advanced analytics are very useful, but they don't predict what can happen with consistent accuracy. I recall at the end of January that KenPom predicted us to be something like 24-7 or 25-6. Whoops. Do you really think that because Ward had a better plus-minus last night than MSS that he should have gotten more minutes than MSS? Not a single soul who knows basketball would have suggested that to be the case, so the plus-minus stat is irrelevant in that case. I could go on, but I don't really have the time at the moment.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
So, because you have very traditional beliefs, that was cause to assert something negative about his athletic background. Look, we get you are old school when it comes to player evaluations.....there are a lot of former scouts just like that. There is room for both and frankly it is concerning that our HC is as dismissive as he comes across—his two predecessors were much more balanced and successful.
You may be right in that I don't have enough info to infer about a person's athletic background, but I don't know any former athlete who worries about whether they are an underdog and how that affects their thinking going into a game.

As for your assertion that I am old school, you just made an incorrect assumption. I use stats and analytics in my work every day. Those close to me call me a stat geek. I love statistical analysis. My point is that they rarely tell the entire story. Context is important and stats don't often give context. Our head coach doesn't dismiss statistical analysis, but as a former player, he also knows that there is more to it than statistics.

Wade and Shaka not only used analytics, but also employed methods that analytics cannot measure: mind coaches, for lack of a better phrase. If stats were the be all and end all, then coaches and teams wouldn't spend so much time on the mental aspect of it.

I agree with you that there is room for both. My argument is NOT with those who use statistical analysis. It is with those who only use that type of thing to draw conclusions.

As Coach K said recently, after Duke was blasted at NC State: "Games aren't played in an X-Box."

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
And as I have said over and over on RamNation, as a guy who looks at statistics in my career every day, they play an important part, but they don't tell the entire story. Stats are great at playing the odds on certain things, like the FT shooting you mentioned. That is obvious. You'd rather have a 90% FT at the line than a 50% FT shooter. Yes, teams do spend lots of money on the analysis and they should. It can tell you a great deal, but it doesn't tell you the entire story. Even Will Wade knows that to be the case. The advanced analytics are very useful, but they don't predict what can happen with consistent accuracy. I recall at the end of January that KenPom predicted us to be something like 24-7 or 25-6. Whoops. Do you really think that because Ward had a better plus-minus last night than MSS that he should have gotten more minutes than MSS? Not a single soul who knows basketball would have suggested that to be the case, so the plus-minus stat is irrelevant in that case. I could go on, but I don't really have the time at the moment.
Indirectly, I think we mostly agree.
  • Stats should play a part in the decision process ( i think we agree on that)
  • Stats do not tell the whole story(I think we agree on that)
the question for me and I think it was Natty's point at well is what did MR see on film that led him to play our lest efficient team offensively to close out the game? Ultimately the only way to win a game is to outscore your opponent. If you are not stopping them on defense(we played our best defensive team to close the game out), then you have to outscore them.

Reactions: SWV

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Indirectly, I think we mostly agree.
  • Stats should play a part in the decision process ( i think we agree on that)
  • Stats do not tell the whole story(I think we agree on that)
the question for me and I think it was Natty's point at well is what did MR see on film that led him to play our lest efficient team offensively to close out the game? Ultimately the only way to win a game is to outscore your opponent. If you are not stopping them on defense(we played our best defensive team to close the game out), then you have to outscore them.
I think we do have lots of common ground. The specific question I mentioned was the question about not winning as an underdog this season.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
You may be right in that I don't have enough info to infer about a person's athletic background, but I don't know any former athlete who worries about whether they are an underdog and how that affects their thinking going into a game.

As for your assertion that I am old school, you just made an incorrect assumption. I use stats and analytics in my work every day. Those close to me call me a stat geek. I love statistical analysis. My point is that they rarely tell the entire story. Context is important and stats don't often give context. Our head coach doesn't dismiss statistical analysis, but as a former player, he also knows that there is more to it than statistics.

Wade and Shaka not only used analytics, but also employed methods that analytics cannot measure: mind coaches, for lack of a better phrase. If stats were the be all and end all, then coaches and teams wouldn't spend so much time on the mental aspect of it.

I agree with you that there is room for both. My argument is NOT with those who use statistical analysis. It is with those who only use that type of thing to draw conclusions.

As Coach K said recently, after Duke was blasted at NC State: "Games aren't played in an X-Box."
Ok, not going to get sucked into this vortex with you again. You’d be a great politician....

Reactions: thelonious_chunk

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Ok, not going to get sucked into this vortex with you again. You’d be a great politician....
There is no vortex. You assume I am some old school guy who screams "get off my lawn" at anything with statistical analytics. I am nowhere near that which you seem to assume. Love stats, but also understand that they don't tell the entire story. In other words, more than one thing can be true when it comes to things in life.

I have too much respect for myself and my fellow humans to be a politician. :lol: