Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Duquense has won alot of close games this season and it showed up in the last 8 minutes.

Collectively, they had the composure to make plays down the stretch coming off mistakes in the prior play.

That is the sign of mature team.
Yeah...their free throw defense was outstanding

• Haha
Reactions: PhantomRam and HBK

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
I appreciate Mat‘s attempt to ask the question. It’s difficult to word without getting the same kind of response HBK gave, which is “do you even basketball, bro?”. When the result is a loss, the stats reflect what happened. I think Mat‘s question is, are in-game analytical measures used at all in the decision making process to determine who to play?

Reactions: connell

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
There is no vortex. You assume I am some old school guy who screams "get off my lawn" at anything with statistical analytics. I am nowhere near that which you seem to assume. Love stats, but also understand that they don't tell the entire story. In other words, more than one thing can be true when it comes to things in life.

I have too much respect for myself and my fellow humans to be a politician. :lol:
i’ve made no assumptions about you, except you do pretty well at bouncing around points enough that you seem like a politician or a corporate schill, in either case i neither like you nor dislike you. I just respond to your words....beyond that you are an anonymous 3 letter poster on a forum. You make some decent points at time, so i read your posts. You grandstand at times and make all sorts of claims about your connections....i take those with a grain of salt.

My perception is you create straw man arguments around the role and use of analytics and sport—seems to be the horse you like to beat and whenever someone pushes back you usually pull the “well i was an athlete” or “no athlete i know....” responses to refute. All I’ll say to that is if you go to games at the Stu, there are at least a few “athletes” you pass on the wall who disagree with you.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
i’ve made no assumptions about you, except you do pretty well at bouncing around points enough that you seem like a politician or a corporate schill, in either case i neither like you nor dislike you. I just respond to your words....beyond that you are an anonymous 3 letter poster on a forum. You make some decent points at time, so i read your posts. You grandstand at times and make all sorts of claims about your connections....i take those with a grain of salt.

My perception is you create straw man arguments around the role and use of analytics and sport—seems to be the horse you like to beat and whenever someone pushes back you usually pull the “well i was an athlete” or “no athlete i know....” responses to refute. All I’ll say to that is if you go to games at the Stu, there are at least a few “athletes” you pass on the wall who disagree with you.
Your perception is incorrect, but your perception is your reality. The irony is you claim to make no assumptions, but your posts contain them. That’s fine. I don’t grandstand about connections. Other than saying I know and am friendly with a few coaches, I rarely mention any connections. There are lots of people on here who also know those coaches as well, and they mention it from time to time. It’s not grandstanding.

I try to bring knowledge I’ve gained from personal experience and the experiences of people who know more than I do to this forum. I’m comfortable enough to know what I don’t know in life, so I actively seek out those with more knowledge on certain subjects, including some of those on the wall at the Stu. (That last sentence wasn’t grandstanding, by the way.). As for analytics in sports, I can’t be any clearer, so the only pushback I give is against those who seem to regard analytics as the sole basis for every decision to be made by a coach.

Good luck to you and yours.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Coaches can be wrong! Or bad.... We all believe we have a lot of talent, yet we aren’t too good and bad at fundamentals. So, is it bad coaching! Yeah

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Your perception is incorrect, but your perception is your reality. The irony is you claim to make no assumptions, but your posts contain them. That’s fine. I don’t grandstand about connections. Other than saying I know and am friendly with a few coaches, I rarely mention any connections. There are lots of people on here who also know those coaches as well, and they mention it from time to time. It’s not grandstanding.

I try to bring knowledge I’ve gained from personal experience and the experiences of people who know more than I do to this forum. I’m comfortable enough to know what I don’t know in life, so I actively seek out those with more knowledge on certain subjects, including some of those on the wall at the Stu. (That last sentence wasn’t grandstanding, by the way.). As for analytics in sports, I can’t be any clearer, so the only pushback I give is against those who seem to regard analytics as the sole basis for every decision to be made by a coach.

Good luck to you and yours.
🥱

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
It would be cool if they used their YouTube site to go live also.
Yeah, be nice to take advantage of the current climate to get creative and reach more people. My gym has started providing workouts on FB Live, and also archiving them to their YouTube channel. Would have never happened had all this craziness not happened.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Yeah, be nice to take advantage of the current climate to get creative and reach more people. My gym has started providing workouts on FB Live, and also archiving them to their YouTube channel. Would have never happened had all this craziness not happened.
Even in normal times all it takes is a laptop and a finger to hit record. Hopefully they will begin to look into better ways to get content to fans in the future.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Even in normal times all it takes is a laptop and a finger to hit record. Hopefully they will begin to look into better ways to get content to fans in the future.
Agreed, but no one was motivated to change the status quo until they had to.

Reactions: AlienAiden