Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Did Brunt say that the additional year each player got because of the Covid year is forfeited if the player transfers to another school?
It wasn’t for last year’s transfers, but I believe it is going forward.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Did Brunt say that the additional year each player got because of the Covid year is forfeited if the player transfers to another school?
I heard him speaking in regards to Levi. He said if Levi would have transferred he would have counted as a scholarship for that team but at VCU he does not. I must have missed that part about the extra year for anyone transferring.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I’m going to start sending you links to my work Zoom calls so you can type out summaries for me.

Thanks in advance.
200.gif

Newboy

Elite Member
Some notes from this interview.....

Rhoades on Nunn: If we had a game tonight Nunn would start at point. When Ace comes back they can play together as a quick guard combo. He can really shoot it and play off the ball. He can play without Ace or with him.

Rhoades on Kern: He will become a VCU crowd favorite. He is dynamic. Hooper. He can press and he can make plays. He can drive and dunk on you. He handle the ball against pressure.

Rhoades on DeLoach: Super competitive and very versatile. He can really move. Very good rebounder and he can block shots. He can also step away from the basket and make plays so he really fits us. He can be at the front of the press or at the back. He is a great mover. Sky is the limit for him.

Rhoades on Nichols: A 4 man that can step away from the basket like a point forward. He is 6'8 and a half with a 7'2 wingspan. He has blocked Hason's shots in practice. He can also play like a guard.

Rhoades on Tsohonis: Fits our style. Not the most athletic guy on our team but has a great knack how to play basketball. Compared him to Joey R. He has a knack on and off the ball with a good floater game. We will be asking a lot from him early in the year.

I am so happy I could cry!

JDI

Insider
VCU would have to use 2 scholarship spots for Tsohonis and Nichols if they were to stay for their Covid granted year.

JDI

Insider
That is not what they said. They said you do not count against the 13 scholarship limit as long as you stay.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
That is not what they said. They said you do not count against the 13 scholarship limit as long as you stay.
That was specifically stated to apply only to this coming season, though. The NCAA hasn’t announced if that will apply in any future seasons, though I wouldn’t be shocked if they decided to go on and do it given the resurgence of COVID-19.

JDI

Insider
Each player that participated in the 2020 - 2021 season gets an additional year added to the end of their 4 years per Brunt.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Each player that participated in the 2020 - 2021 season gets an additional year added to the end of their 4 years per Brunt.
Yeah, everyone who played last season gets the year, but the extra provision that allows players using the year not to count toward scholarship limits only applies to this coming season unless the NCAA extends it.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Just as @WillWeaverRVA said. The players get that year, but after this season the plan is that they count against the 13 scholarship total. And not all players are going to be viewed as more valuable than bringing in a new recruit or transfer, so just because the NCAA says players can have another year there’s no guarantee that their school will let them do it.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Just as @WillWeaverRVA said. The players get that year, but after this season the plan is that they count against the 13 scholarship total. And not all players are going to be viewed as more valuable than bringing in a new recruit or transfer, so just because the NCAA says players can have another year there’s no guarantee that their school will let them do it.
You and @WillWeaverRVA know your MBB! I was under the impression that players could use there free covid year and stay at there own schools for the extra year and not have it count against the total scholarship limit regardless of year. So I thought Curry and Williams could stay and play for us (as could Ward, Ace and all the other underclassmen) and we would still have 13 additional scholarships. Now that I re-read it, its the way you describe.
I do not think the NCAA will keep extending this rule. Last year Covid was a wild card. Now it is looking like it will be around for several years or longer. I think the NCAA strategy will be to learn to function and exist with it for the next few years. Allowing rosters to bloat so that players keep getting do-over years may not be sustainable. If we lose an entire season (or substantial portion) perhaps they will grant another year. Even if Covid runs rampant this winter (and I suspect it will) the schools, the NCAA, TV have learned a lot about how to prepare and function from last season. We now have tools like vaccines, (and soon to be better vaccines and boosters), soon to be treatment modalities to help people recover, better testing/ tracing and general understanding of how to to function with this disease till we eradicate it.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Lets say in the 2024/25 season, we have 13 prime scholarship players already signed, and Watkins and Banks want to come back as well. This would be an area where a local business('s) could pay Watkins and Banks enough $$ to cover tuition/room/ board/ expenses to make it feasible to return and allow the roster to expand to 15 or more scholarship-Level players. is that a plausible strategy?