Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

It's just my view, man. You're welcome to disagree, but for me, the whole father figure thing was a carefully crafted media image. He wasn't easy to get to know; in fact, there were quite a few walls up around him. In the end, for the all the talk about loving his players, he took the money and ran. Coach Rhoades isn't as media savvy, and I say that as a compliment. And unlike the weird, quasi-philosophical b.s. that Shaka and Maya peddled, Coach Rhoades's approach is much more straightforward. He seems more authentic to me. He knows who he is, and he's not trying to be something more than that. Maybe it's just because he's older and thus has a better sense of his self than Shaka did. Regardless, I like him more, and I trust him more.

That's just me, though. I'm not trying to sway anyone else's opinion. I was just responding to Newboy.
That was the best presser or interview Rhoades has ever done. Comfortable, some personality with interesting and relevant takes. Previously he was ridiculously dull and awkward on camera, and just carpet bombed you with cliches and coach speak.

Without really knowing someone, which isn’t easy, I don’t how you say Shaka is a phony. Its a cut throat business and you have to do what you have to do for your family, yourself, and career.

Shaka was a pretty smooth operator for sure. If he developed an ego, how could you blame him? The school, media, fans, and town were so far up his a$$ his feet couldn’t touch the ground.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
That was the best presser or interview Rhoades has ever done. Comfortable, some personality with interesting and relevant takes. Previously he was ridiculously dull and awkward on camera, and just carpet bombed you with cliches and coach speak.

Without really knowing someone, which isn’t easy, I don’t how you say Shaka is a phony. Its a cut throat business and you have to do what you have to do for your family, yourself, and career.

Shaka was a pretty smooth operator for sure. If he developed an ego, how could you blame him? The school, media, fans, and town were so far up his a$$ his feet couldn’t touch the ground.
He's pretty good on the Rhoades Show, so until now I just kinda figured he does better one-on-one. Maybe he's been working on it.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Just a weird speech quirk, but does Mike always leave out the word have/‘ve?

Last edited:

RESRam

Insider
Love our coach! For those of you , @AlienAiden, that may have actually attended Mike’s pressers, does Wayne Epps use a very different mic than the other questioners? His voice isn’t nearly as clear as the others and always sounds muffled, like he’s speaking with a mask on.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Love our coach! For those of you , @AlienAiden, that may have actually attended Mike’s pressers, does Wayne Epps use a very different mic than the other questioners? His voice isn’t nearly as clear as the others and always sounds muffled, like he’s speaking with a mask on.
Waynes is probably wearing a mask. He always does. Oh and I do not attend the pressers these days. I have not since the early 2000s.