Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

Ramaholic

Elite Member
We need less promotions, more band (with Ryan) during timeouts and we do not need a person with a mic on the PA system. There has to be a way to keep the sponsors happy without contests that no one pays attention to or likes.
Papa John shoot out? Yes.
Half time Virginia Lotto game? Yes
Everything else? No.
and "Win Franks Money" should have been changed to "Win Franks Covid" last year bc the dude was one of the guys courstside with out a mask.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
We need less promotions, more band (with Ryan) during timeouts and we do not need a person with a mic on the PA system. There has to be a way to keep the sponsors happy without contests that no one pays attention to or likes.
Papa John shoot out? Yes.
Half time Virginia Lotto game? Yes
Everything else? No.
and "Win Franks Money" should have been changed to "Win Franks Covid" last year bc the dude was one of the guys courstside with out a mask.
I go to every game and the entire script just runs together for me. I know what is coming up at each time out but I get so used to it that I don't really pay attention to who is sponsoring it. It can't be serving the sponsors well either. Plus it is better for them if they are sponsoring an event with 7,000 people as opposed to one with 4,000 people.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I go to every game in the entire script just runs together for me. I know what is coming up at each time out but I get so used to it that I don't really pay attention to who is sponsoring it. It can't be serving the sponsors well either. Plus it is better for them if they are sponsoring an event with 7,000 people as opposed to one with 4,000 people.
Dunno if this happened to any of them, but annoying potential customers can lead them to actively avoiding doing business with you. I can't help but think they aren't getting great value for money with these promotions.

SpiderRAM

Elite Member
Insider
I wonder if something else happened over the last 2 seasons that could have caused a significant decline in season ticket purchases by RAF donors. Can’t put my finger on it though.
Maybe there’s a test that would give a positive response to this question. 😔

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
A lot of people that might be going to restaurants and stores may still not feel comfortable going to such a crowded place where people are eating and drinking and screaming at the top of their lungs a few feet away from them.

There is also a large group that have just changed their habits and lifestyles over the last 2.5 years. Many people bought huge new TVs and realized they can have as much or more fun watching every single game at home while saving a bunch of money. Some of those former season ticket holders may never come back or may decide to just come to a couple games a year.

It’s going to take years for a lot of live events to get back to the same numbers that were attending pre-Covid and it may never happen for some things.

And you also have to take into account the product on the floor. The best ”outreach” a program can do is to win games, make NCAA Tournaments, win games in the NCAA Tournament, and have compelling opponents on the home schedule. We’ve only made 2 NCAA Tournaments in the last 5 years and haven’t won an NCAA game since March 18, 2016. By next March, it will be one NCAA Tournament win in 10 years. The Final Four run had very long coattails for the program to ride on. Those coattails were wearing out before Covid and are now officially gone. Having a fun product that wins is going to be the biggest solution to getting fans back in seats.
I have been to exactly one home game since the pandemic started and the way things are now with the Omicron BA.5 variant spreading like wildfire and overcoming immunity, I don't plan to go to any more any time soon since there's no real way to enforce mask wearing. I think a lot of people have the same thought process and that's going to drastically impact ticket sales. I wouldn't be surprised if season ticket sales were roughly the same this year compared to last year.

For the record I've only eaten inside a restaurant exactly twice since COVID - the second time I was exposed and had to monitor for symptoms for 10 days (it was a work event).

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Remember also that many have had second thoughts about making donations after the tax laws changed. In combination with, you know a worldwide pandemic, pretty much every college program is struggling.

I have been to exactly one home game since the pandemic started and the way things are now with the Omicron BA.5 variant spreading like wildfire and overcoming immunity, I don't plan to go to any more any time soon since there's no real way to enforce mask wearing. I think a lot of people have the same thought process and that's going to drastically impact ticket sales. I wouldn't be surprised if season ticket sales were roughly the same this year compared to last year.

For the record I've only eaten inside a restaurant exactly twice since COVID - the second time I was exposed and had to monitor for symptoms for 10 days (it was a work event).
IT's about the same as last year, based on projection they gave me. See my previous post for details.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Did anyone here go last night? Anything to report?

I assume it will be available as a pod before ther season starts

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Did anyone here go last night? Anything to report?

I assume it will be available as a pod before ther season starts
I wanted to, but honestly, doing the kind of work to just get by these days that makes me so tired once I'm home, in dry clothing, washed face and arms, sit down in an actual chair and get off my aching feet, I can't do anything else. I'm a Benedictine kid, I thought I'd escaped all that marching, forward march, right flank, left flank, about face and all. Mowing is exactly that, feels like the laps never end. I'm a human typewriter.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
still no show on line. I suppose it will be posted before the B&G game