Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

darn…Howard on a Sunday. That will draw em in

VCU has likely played more HBCU's than any school in the nation .... Georgetown might be close. Howard's Bison, an MEAC bottom feeder, will be 20-plus points underdogs (by halftime).

It’ll be so bad, the books won’t even offer full game odds.
no doubt we will be favored by double digits but Howard has a good coach in former DOOKIE Blakeney.(sp?) they finished 2nd in the MEAC last year behind perennial winner Norfolk State (likely a tougher game than Morgan St!)
there program is headed in the right direction albeit they are a lower tier conference
they played Notre Dame to a 3 point game last season and also lost to Villanova by around 20. so they have tasted playing top teams and will likely not be intimidated by the moment (though no doubt we have better talent)
go rams

ps Notre Dame playing Howard is an outgrowth of Howard's coach relationship with Notre Dame coach Brey
Blakeney played at DeMatha Catholic when Brey was an assistant coach there under the legendary Morgan Wooten.
those are the type of relationships that get you scheduling success in OOC

VCU Heel

Elite Member
no doubt we will be favored by double digits but Howard has a good coach in former DOOKIE Blakeney.(sp?) they finished 2nd in the MEAC last year behind perennial winner Norfolk State (likely a tougher game than Morgan St!)
there program is headed in the right direction albeit they are a lower tier conference
they played Notre Dame to a 3 point game last season and also lost to Villanova by around 20. so they have tasted playing top teams and will likely not be intimidated by the moment (though no doubt we have better talent)
go rams

ps Notre Dame playing Howard is an outgrowth of Howard's coach relationship with Notre Dame coach Brey
Blakeney played at DeMatha Catholic when Brey was an assistant coach there under the legendary Morgan Wooten.
those are the type of relationships that get you scheduling success in OOC
Blakeney played at Duke when Brey was an assistant coach there.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
VCU has likely played more HBCU's than any school in the nation .... Georgetown might be close. Howard's Bison, an MEAC bottom feeder, will be 20-plus points underdogs (by halftime).
I decided to check on this and here's the Division I HBCUs VCU has played in its history:

- Alcorn State (1-0)
- Bethune-Cookman (1-0)
- Delaware State (4-0)
- Grambling State (1-0)
- Hampton (8-1)
- Howard (1-0) - playing them in 2022-23
- Jackson State (1-0)
- UMES (6-1)
- Morgan State (1-0) - playing them in 2022-23
- Norfolk State (5-1) - only loss was in 1972
- North Carolina A&T (9-0)
- NC Central (1-0)
- Prairie View A&M (2-0)
- South Carolina State (1-0)
- Tennessee State (1-0)
- Virginia State (4-0)
- Virginia Union (9-2) - last loss was in 1973

The only last time VCU has lost to a D1 HBCU was a 64-55 loss to Hampton in 2007.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I decided to check on this and here's the Division I HBCUs VCU has played in its history (i.e. VUU and VSU do not count):

- Alcorn State (1-0)
- Bethune-Cookman (1-0)
- Delaware State (4-0)
- Grambling State (1-0)
- Hampton (8-1)
- Jackson State (1-0)
- UMES (5-0)
- Norfolk State (2-0)
- North Carolina A&T (8-0)
- Prairie View A&M (2-0)
- Tennessee State (1-0)

The only time VCU has lost to a D1 HBCU was a 64-55 loss to Hampton in 2007.
I believe you are forgetting Va Union and Va State. Some might have been during the RPI days but I think VCU also played them in meaningful games not just exhibitions.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I believe you are forgetting Va Union and Va State. Some might have been during the RPI days but I think VCU also played them in meaningful games not just exhibitions.
I was going with what was on Sports Reference, but it doesn't appear they were in the modern day equivalent of D1 when those games were played (they list everything, including schools that were once in D1 but aren't anymore).

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
It’ll be so bad, the books won’t even offer full game odds.
I kind of remember the last time VCU played Howard. JeQuan had a big game. It was a blowout. We were worried about one of their players who was averaging over 20 a game. The worries ended up being for nothing.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Blakeney played at Duke when Brey was an assistant coach there.

yes he recruited Blakeney to Duke and he also hired Blakeney on Delaware staff too
Brey was a maryland kid that went to DeMatha Catholic and coached there too before taking the asst job at Duke and overlapped with Blakeney about 2 years at De Matha where the relationship started
Blakeney hiring at Howard brought him back to where it all started for him in the DC/metro area (great hire by Howard)

Both Duke and Nc State did great jobs of recruiting DeMatha kids and Brey was instrumental at Duke (Blakeney/Ferry etc)

thanks for reminding me about his time at Duke I had forgot about that initially

I decided to check on this and here's the Division I HBCUs VCU has played in its history:

- Alcorn State (1-0)
- Bethune-Cookman (1-0)
- Delaware State (4-0)
- Grambling State (1-0)
- Hampton (8-1)
- Jackson State (1-0)
- UMES (6-1)
- Norfolk State (5-1) - only loss was in 1972
- North Carolina A&T (9-0)
- NC Central (1-0)
- Prairie View A&M (2-0)
- Tennessee State (1-0)
- Virginia State (4-0)
- Virginia Union (9-2) - last loss was in 1973

The only last time VCU has lost to a D1 HBCU was a 64-55 loss to Hampton in 2007.

Nice research ... Pre D-1, Rams lost to Virginia Union (at Franklin Street) and Norfolk State (at Coliseum) in early '70s ... I was there for both. VCU also lost to Maryland State (now Eastern Shore) in 68-69 ... and then there was Bluefield State, W.Va. .... Rams defeated Bluefield in first ever game at new Franklin Street Gym ... Bluefield State is an HBCU even it is now predominantly white. On that Bluefield note, Rams freshman team defeated Ft. Eustis in preliminary game on same card.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
Get Southern U to travel up to The Stu and bring their pep band too, turn it into a halftime battle of the bands showcase! Always had great respect for them, the loudest band I have ever heard at the NCAA tournament not named The Peppas.