Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Get Southern U to travel up to The Stu and bring their pep band too, turn it into a halftime battle of the bands showcase! Always had great respect for them, the loudest band I have ever heard at the NCAA tournament not named The Peppas.
If we ever play NCA&T again we should also have a battle of the bands with them. Their pep band is excellent.

Get Southern U to travel up to The Stu and bring their pep band too, turn it into a halftime battle of the bands showcase! Always had great respect for them, the loudest band I have ever heard at the NCAA tournament not named The Peppas.

Don't need to go as far as Southern, La., to lure entertainment. The Norfolk State pep band is as good as it gets; even has had female singers in the past.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I finally got the chance to listen to the podcast. The thing that irritated me most was that he confirmed Penn State had used the COVID cancellation as a way to back out of their trip to Richmond.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but MR mentioned that it looked good that we would play Houston in Atlanta next year. Also as has been mentioned previously by a couple people they are working on a H/H with UVA again. Now if can some how Go to UVA next year, play Houston in Atlanta and have both Memphis and Temple come to the Stu that would be about as good as one could reasonably expect in this new era of P5 playing 20 conference games.

Couple other things he mentioned. None of the P5’s are interested in VCU as a buy game at their place. While teams may not “fear” is the current top 15 in winning percentage is not appealing to bring a team to their home court. 2 for 1’s also way not appealing. Multiple teams coast to coast declined to play us in a neutral site game

My take as stated before is times have changed and while the names of the opponents may not be eye popping. MR and JM continue to do a good job using analytics to put together the best schedule possible to give us an at large chance. Now it’s up to the coaches and the team to execute

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but MR mentioned that it looked good that we would play Houston in Atlanta next year. Also as has been mentioned previously by a couple people they are working on a H/H with UVA again. Now if can some how Go to UVA next year, play Houston in Atlanta and have both Memphis and Temple come to the Stu that would be about as good as one could reasonably expect in this new era of P5 playing 20 conference games.

Couple other things he mentioned. None of the P5’s are interested in VCU as a buy game at their place. While teams may not “fear” is the current top 15 in winning percentage is not appealing to bring a team to their home court. 2 for 1’s also way not appealing. Multiple teams coast to coast declined to play us in a neutral site game

My take as stated before is times have changed and while the names of the opponents may not be eye popping. MR and JM continue to do a good job using analytics to put together the best schedule possible to give us an at large chance. Now it’s up to the coaches and the team to execute

If VCU also plays in a MTE event along with Houston, UVa, Memphis and Temple, the OOC schedule next year is going to be not only brutal, but probably the best ever OOC VCU has played.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
If VCU also plays in a MTE event along with Houston, UVa, Memphis and Temple, the OOC schedule next year is going to be not only brutal, but probably the best ever OOC VCU has played.

Putting a schedule similar to that year in and year out would certainly help raise our profile with recruits. We just need to make sure that we are a Q1 opportunity to them no matter where they play us.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
-If/when Jamir will be fully cleared to play?
Coach MR: "When the doctors make the decision to clear him. I don't get involved in that stuff. I defer to the doctors."
-When is team picture day?
Coach MR: "You will have to talk to our media guys about that. When do we usually do it?.....sometime in Sept I think but I'm not involved in scheduling that."
-How close is DeLoach to beating out Ace for that starting PG spot?
Coach MR: "LOL.. good one! JJ has really done great work in the off season. I'm sure people have see the videos of JJ working out with his father this summer. He has put on muscle and I told him we are expecting a lot out of him this season. But as for point guard, I think Ace would have something to say about that."
-Why can't we schedule tougher non-conference opponents? Which schools said no so we can add them to the chicken list?
Coach MR: "As I've mentioned on another of these coach's show, we have tried. We were in talks with Baylor about a neutral site and they said no. But we a really strong schedule this year. A lot of the teams were in the NCAA last year and are predicted to finish at the top of their conference this year. Right now we have Ariz St. with pitt or michigan in the early tournament with Memphis Vanderbilt, and Temple. We are working to fill one more date. It's very difficult process. People don't realize but since about 2000, we are in the top 15 in win percentage in the nation. A lot of teams shy away from wanting to play a team with that type of win percentage."
-Who on the team will surprise the fans the most in a good way?
Coach MR: "Oh gosh, we have so many on the team. I think Nunn has made a major transformation....a complete body change and is much stronger than last year. And JJ too. Billups I think will surprise people....he is a local kid and can really play."
-How high can Tobi jump?
Coach MR: " A lot higher than I can jump, that's for sure. He has the highest vertical on the team. He has to watch not to hit his head on the rim with he dunks. But I can't remember his vertical numbers but he can really jump."
-Once and for all who has the best shoe game?
**** I don't understand this question so I'm hesitant to do a MR answer for this one. :)
You have to work on your Rhoades speak, not nearly enough "without a doubt"s in there. Of course that would have made your post twice as long.

HBK

Elite Member
And yet, some on here would still complain because we played a couple of cupcakes. Some people just love to complain.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
And yet, some on here would still complain because we played a couple of cupcakes. Some people just love to complain.
He’s talking about next year, not this year. And he’s including several hypotheticals for next year.

This year’s schedule is crap.

Honestly, I would take a home and home with ODU over Howard.
my guess is that vcu is worried that because it is a rivalry game, it will be a really hard win on the road. and they are worried they might suffer a bad loss in the net disproportionate to the difficulty of the game.