Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Maybe, but as The New Guy, this is a dangerously disengaged approach to community relations. He comes to VCU with a ton of good will. Given the likely rocky road we will have to start the year, you'd like to think he'd be all about keeping that goodwill going. A show every 3-4 weeks seems like an odd choice from that perspective.
You may have just answered your own question.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Looks like Mike is doing the talk shows just like his recruiting, his way.
Maybe, but as The New Guy, this is a dangerously disengaged approach to community relations. He comes to VCU with a ton of good will. Given the likely rocky road we will have to start the year, you'd like to think he'd be all about keeping that goodwill going. A show every 3-4 weeks seems like an odd choice from that perspective.
Are we sure this is Rhoades choice to do it once every couple of weeks and not Ed's or someone else in the AD?

Also, when we have them every week... were we getting large turnouts every week to warrant having one every week? I've been to a couple of them, but didn't know what the crowds are like in general since I don't go every week to em.

Reactions: RamStrut

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I said it was a questionable decision; I didn't say that it was Mike's questionable decision.

Reactions: RamStrut

VCUBusiness

Top Member
Feb 17, 2015
I could see this happening for a couple reasons. 1) Mike has said this program is about the players. Past coaches have built a cult of personality (or lack there of) through consistent community engagement and become the focus in some ways. This could be his way of stepping back from that to keep the focus on the players and product on the court. 2) Like previously mentioned, we've got a brutal OOC schedule and with all the new pieces if we take a few lumps along the road, having a weekly show to rehash the issues could be questionable. Of course, not providing enough insight might send the wrong message as well. Perhaps this is a new schedule to see how it goes, and maybe will be back to normal next season if reception is lukewarm?

May 4, 2012
I could see this happening for a couple reasons. 1) Mike has said this program is about the players. Past coaches have built a cult of personality (or lack there of) through consistent community engagement and become the focus in some ways. This could be his way of stepping back from that to keep the focus on the players and product on the court. 2) Like previously mentioned, we've got a brutal OOC schedule and with all the new pieces if we take a few lumps along the road, having a weekly show to rehash the issues could be questionable. Of course, not providing enough insight might send the wrong message as well. Perhaps this is a new schedule to see how it goes, and maybe will be back to normal next season if reception is lukewarm?
It was said that the coaches did that to lessen (negative) attention on the players. Along the same line was the coaches having problems be on them.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
It was said that the coaches did that to lessen (negative) attention on the players. Along the same line was the coaches having problems be on them.
I can definitely see that. Seeing how people reacted after the Liberty exhib., how people acted after Queens last year.... and just how a lot of people on the boards act after a loss.... I totally get that.