Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

vcu2016

Insider
I feel like I've hit him with some real ones when I've been in the pressers. Wasn't in there after the game last night because I was so pissed off, but I definitely ask him some tough ones (and/or interesting ones) a lot!
And again, I obviously have no idea who is in those press conferences, this is no slight at you at all and I will take your word for it that you do. I'm more just going off of what is posted publicly for us to see. It seems people will talk a lot all over the place, but then when it comes time to ask the man himself, everyone doesn't want to ruffle any feathers (again, only speaking on what I've seen on the videos published to YouTube).

I personally would love to see MR a little uncomfortable at the podium, just so he knows that we aren't happy and we can see what's going on and no amount of coaching rhetoric is going to hide that. Again, I'm sitting here being the exact same person I'm claiming others to be (the ones that exclusively post here or on social media instead of talking to him or asking him direct questions) so that is a bit hypocritical of me, at least you are out there asking questions!

And who knows, maybe in the moment if I had the chance to ask him some hard hitting questions, maybe I'd chicken out myself too, but I'd like to think I hopefully wouldn't! I just wish people during the recorded part would really put him on the spot more.

Mr X

Elite Member
Insider
I feel like I've hit him with some real ones when I've been in the pressers. Wasn't in there after the game last night because I was so pissed off, but I definitely ask him some tough ones (and/or interesting ones) a lot!
Do you get straight forward answers?

rammed

Elite Member
My take aways were players need to “listen” and they need to “keep it simple for some players.” Kinda concerning.

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
My take ways were players need to “listen” and they need to “keep it simple for some players.” Kinda concerning.
The players are dumb and need to listen isn’t the best messaging.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Back in 1981, when Joe Gibbs started with the skins. He started implementing an offense with alot of motion and shifts. They came close to scoring but beat themselves with lots of penalties..could not punch in the from the red zone...started 0-5....then he simplified the offense to concentrate on execution with just 3 running plays for John Riggins...they went 8-3 the rest of the way.... then went to 2 super bowl over the next two years.

Sometimes, simplifying allows mew players the time absorb the foundation of the offense, react and play rather than over think...and perform more efficiently..that is why they've performed with greater consistency over longer stretches each game...

The players are dumb and need to listen isn’t the best messaging.
Nor are these the best traits to ignore on the recruiting trail.

When you are prioritizing athletic upside above all else in your recruiting, it’s not surprising for your team to be short on character, leadership and smarts…intangibles that make a significant difference in team sports.

In recent years, we’ve had plenty of kids who had these intangibles. Certainly Marcus, MSS, Mo, Melvin, Jordan, etc. Who on this team has these qualities? Johns? Lawal makes great grades, but he’s a freshman and just learning the game. Same with Fermin.

Serious question… In order to maximize our talent, are we forced to sign too many kids who have limited other options from an admissions standpoint?

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I have been critical in the past of the differences in the sound volume of those asking the questions and Mike’s volume when responding. Today was great! Everyone’s microphones were at the same volume level. Good job!
In this case, I'm excited to check this out! Praying the players and Mike will precede their response with second asking the question so we can understand to what question they're referring is tough sometimes.