Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Kids are worse than millennials. We have a top 25 team go figure!
No question about that Bang. like nothing I have ever seen. If you think students are gonna fill the Stu, you are sadly mistaken and beating your head against a wall trying. Saxon Shoes kept it alive. Are they still doing that deal?

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
They say kids today have way too many options that can take them away from sports activities. I ask, what options? Like which game are they going to play on their xbox or play on their phone? Heck, there was keg parties galore when I went to college, tons of clubs.....of all different types, the slip, etc. We had options but many of us made room to attend Rams basketball games. As I said, not only did we have to walk the huge distance from Franklin St. all way over to Broad St. but we also had to hoofed it all the way downtown to the Coliseum.

Mar 1, 2015
Athletic departments all over have concerns. Alabama football has trouble retaining students at games. By itself, I would say people evolving past it is a good thing, provided it is replaced with interesting meaningful pursuits. That isn’t the case. If it isn’t easy instant gratification, it’s hard sell to them. Never had to wait for anything or have limited options. Never had a world without social media.

My best friend owns like 15 student rentals. He is totally terrified of the future.

Feb 14, 2011
Kids are worse than millennials. We have a top 25 team go figure!
You must be a grumpy old fart like me LOL. This isn't just VCU Basketball it's every sport, every school, almost every activity. Not a strong excuse but it is that time of the year where kids should be, maybe focusing of classes/grades. I know my kid (a JR) hasn't had time to do much of anything outside the classroom. His idea of relaxing is doing nothig and not heading out for a sporting event and he's a sports kid.

Aside from the technology distractions we all know about: "Kids today" don't know how to get out of their boxes or "safe spaces" and try something new, take some risks, what do I have to lose? what do I have to gain? When our kids are growing up, we want to give them the best and protect them from everything, we've taught them to fear failure instead of teaching them how to deal with failure. Failure isn't "IF" it's "When". I understand this but I'm still guilty as the next parent. Like mentioned above, Munchies knows his "happiness" or "safe space" is VCU Basketball. Kids today need to seek out their own "Safe Space" instead of waiting for someone to tell them where it should be.

Off my soap box; VCU student fans are fantastic compared to many other programs. Over the past 10 or 15 years, there's been a strong culture created at VCU that may not be as strong as it once was but still pretty healthy. It isn't going anywhere with continued success on the court but I fear when the time comes when the program has a little bit of a down slide.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone know when to expect the post game pressers to be on the VCU Athletics YouTube page, or on here?

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It ends during a question; is there a complete version someplace? Did he comment on his little chat with Vince?

Reactions: MobileMunchies
Apr 21, 2009
Ha, this devolution into "kids today"....we are probably a victim of our own success in a way. Remember, the last time VCU had a losing season was 21 years ago, and we havent won less than 18 games since 2000-2001- before the VCU freshman were ex-utero. VCU winning early and often is not a novel concept-- its litetally all theyve ever known. With that kind of consistent winning, there is gonna be a little complacency and that breeds apathy for gettinf out and attending games.

Reactions: duncanlamb and SWV