MattRock

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2009
via VCUAthletics.com
VCU Men’s Basketball Head Coach Mike Rhoades has signed a two-year contract extension, Vice President and Director of Athletics Ed McLaughlin announced Thursday.
“Coach Rhoades did an exceptional job with our young team this season under very unusual circumstances. Sustainable success in any business requires continuity in leadership, but especially in college athletics. We have an exciting, talented team with a bright future, and we want to make sure Coach Rhoades leads our program for years to come,” McLaughlin said.
Thursday’s extension adds two years to Rhoades’ existing contract and runs through the 2026-27 season.
“I appreciate Dr. Rao and Ed McLaughlin for their leadership, and the extension, to keep our program moving forward,” Rhoades said. “It’s an honor to be the coach at VCU, and I never take it for granted. I’m excited to continue to build this the right way, by investing in great people and players. I’m...

Continue reading...

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I’m surprised it took so long to announce this. I was told this had been agreed upon about a month ago.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I’m surprised it took so long to announce this. I was told this had been agreed upon about a month ago.
It is kind of odd it took so long to announce, but his deal was done some time ago. Maybe they were waiting to ensure that his assistants were all taken care of?

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
My guess would be that it was a recruiting dead period when the agreement was made and they wanted to wait an have the announcement fresh when the coaches were hitting the road to see recruits play.

Or the new contract had to work its way through legal and through university approval mechanisms.

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
My guess would be that it was a recruiting dead period when the agreement was made and they wanted to wait an have the announcement fresh when the coaches were hitting the road to see recruits play.

Or the new contract had to work its way through legal and through university approval mechanisms.

It was (b), had to work its way thru. Agreed in principal a while back, but some details take more than one look.
Not an unexpected announcement since you always want your coach's contract running past the eligibility of the players you are recruiting.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It was (b), had to work its way thru. Agreed in principal a while back, but some details take more than one look.
Not an unexpected announcement since you always want your coach's contract running past the eligibility of the players you are recruiting.

I'm sure the new fiscal year starting July 1st also played into it taking this long to announce.

Reactions: Ramaholic