Players Mikeal Brown-Jones in the transfer portal

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
He was playing well when he got a chance to play. He easily could have taken most if not all of Levi's minutes. He always played hard.
And missed assignments, fouled at a high rate, turned the ball over and could not reliably hit a straightaway three with no pressure. C’mon, three or four really good games does not offset the full body of work. Love the hustle and heart, hate watching a tourney without VCU—we need the upgrade.

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
And missed assignments, fouled at a high rate, turned the ball over and could not reliably hit a straightaway three with no pressure. C’mon, three or four really good games does not offset the full body of work. Love the hustle and heart, hate watching a tourney without VCU—we need the upgrade.
We also need the heart. And honestly, he probably didn't turn the ball over anymore than any of our players if you figure out the turnovers and minutes per game. He was an upgrade over Levi, Showed more hustle and "want to" than Ward.

Hoping that Fermin comes in as a day one starter and is up for 25-30 minutes per game.

This one hurts and is disappointing.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I mean just using Saturday as an example. The team was stuck in the mud but made gains with DeLoach and Brown-Jones in the game. DeLoach was pulled after a great stretch for Ward. Ward came in and missed a shot then walked back while Wake pushed for a lay up. Timeout was called and DeLoach came back in. By the way, DeLoach was not happy about being pulled at the moment. Oh and when Brown-Jones would get pulled after minimal minutes he would go to the end of the bench and put his warm up shirt back on. I know they want to push pace with guards but combo choices the last five years have driven my crazy.
AA - I love that you are using an example that you saw live. I was watching on tv so I did not notice that. MBJ might be banged up right now, but it sounds like he could have been used differently against Wake.

For all of his good games (home Richmond, vs Cuse in Bahamas, at Davidson), I also remember the home Davidson game where he fell for pump fakes on two consecutive possessions which led to open layups and MR pulled him. That particular game seemed like one where MBJ just wasn't ready to go.

Regardless - his usage has been a head scratcher. I am not at practice so I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. The only major head scratcher on usage that I saw in the first 4 years of the MR era was Bones not getting more PT as a freshman in 19-20. His defense wasn't great, but we needed his offense. I'd say MBJs usage in 21-22 is up there too.

Hope things work out for him.

northernvatiger

Elite Member
Really disappointed to hear this. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall. I felt he was underutilized all season; perhaps it looks the same next season with new personnel coming in. I wish MBJ well wherever he lands.

HBK

Elite Member
I didn't want to see him go, as he was starting to show flashes. However, it's not like he's an all-A10 player. He can be replaced.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If Vince stays then MBJ’s minutes were probably not going to change much with Jamir, Fats and Fermin coming in next year. If Vince stays with those guys coming….the writing on the wall said time to go.

Hopefully, that's a good sign that Vince might be staying. The big question is what would another year at VCU do for Vince personally after he leaves VCU?

Mercury

Elite Member
The minutes given to him by the staff were puzzling all season. He seemingly always performed when given big minutes but was often on the bench while watching Levi slogging around the court.

Best wishes to the young man.