Players Mikeal Brown-Jones in the transfer portal

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Man wouldn't that be the life. Ive gotten into a sad spot where working on my game at the gym is so infrequent because I have to dedicate so much of my time to providing for my family. Unfortunately for me, I can no longer say "Ball is Life"
But your priorities are straight. Hopefully ball will give you some life when you get the chance.

rampart

Elite Member
Could be true but I do envy people who have a true passion for what they do as a job. Think about it....for them, their job is almost like a hobby...something they actually love doing. Imagine getting paid to do your most fun hobby....whatever that may be. It would be fantastic! You get to wake up every day, eager to get started doing the thing you really enjoy doing.
Now of course, my hobbies never have entailed having a boss breathing down my neck or telling me I have to redo something or getting assigned to a committee that is going to waste hours of time getting very little done on something I don't care about or having someone else decide that changes are needed (aka, fixing something that isn't broke) just because they want to make their mark and requiring me to do twice the amount of work needed just to complete a task.
I think I retired at just the right time before I blew a gasket....LOL
I agree if you're doing something you love, you are very lucky and work is fun. That's pretty easy with basketball. I spent a lot of hours on the court and I never came close to being on the team. It's not as easy being in the science lab. Some may love it but I've known more than one situation where people worked long hours because everyone else did and/or it was expected of them, whether or not it was really needed.

Doesn’t mean the chef wasn’t trying his a$$ off and dealing with sub optimal conditions. The meal being terrible is an outcome, it is not a measure of effort.

I’m trying to read between the lines on this. Correct me if wrong. So hypothetically if a players isn’t giving their max effort on the court it was because the conditions weren’t good for them? So basically the bad outcome was because they were in a poor environment? If that’s the case wouldn’t we be questioning why that environment was suboptimal then?

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Doesn’t mean the chef wasn’t trying his a$$ off and dealing with sub optimal conditions. The meal being terrible is an outcome, it is not a measure of effort.
That sounds exactly like some of my former students.

Student: "I tried so hard and studied more for this exam than any exam in my life and I still failed. It must be you, the teacher, who is making my learning environment sub optimal, thus the terrible outcome"
Teacher (me): "Really? So sorry you feel that way. I wonder what I did considering the class average for the exam with 80 students was a "B" at 86.5, yet you worked so hard and got a 53.25....an "F". Have you ever considered that working hard is not enough? You have to work smart also. Or maybe you just don't know how to study. Look at this question here that you missed. Go back and listen to the audio for my lectures on this topic. I repeated this specific information about 10 times over three freakin days indicated it was highly important....important for you to know and important enough to be on the exam. And look at this other question that you missed but 95% of the class got right. Go look at my slide for this information. I have it listed in bold with a big freakin red star on it. What do you think that star meant?....that I just like stars?
Here, let me look at your class notes? ........what do you mean you don't have any notes? No, my powerpoint lecture slides are not YOUR notes....they are my lecture outline...they provide me with abbreviated talking points where I also provide fill-in information that you need to take NOTE of. Again, the exam average was 86% and 77 people out of the class passed my exam. Your problem is not ME.....it's you. You need to step it up!"

For those students/former students who failed an exam......this is how your teacher actually felt when you came to complain to them about your exam score. They just didn't tell it to your face......oh, but they were thinking it :)

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
That sounds exactly like some of my former students.

Student: "I tried so hard and studied more for this exam than any exam in my life and I still failed. It must be you, the teacher, who is making my learning environment sub optimal, thus the terrible outcome"
Teacher (me): "Really? So sorry you feel that way. I wonder what I did considering the class average for the exam with 80 students was a "B" at 86.5, yet you worked so hard and got a 53.25....an "F". Have you ever considered that working hard is not enough? You have to work smart also. Or maybe you just don't know how to study. Look at this question here that you missed. Go back and listen to the audio for my lectures on this topic. I repeated this specific information about 10 times over three freakin days indicated it was highly important....important for you to know and important enough to be on the exam. And look at this other question that you missed but 95% of the class got right. Go look at my slide for this information. I have it listed in bold with a big freakin red star on it. What do you think that star meant?....that I just like stars?
Here, let me look at your class notes? ........what do you mean you don't have any notes? No, my powerpoint lecture slides are not YOUR notes....they are my lecture outline...they provide me with abbreviated talking points where I also provide fill-in information that you need to take NOTE of. Again, the exam average was 86% and 77 people out of the class passed my exam. Your problem is not ME.....it's you. You need to step it up!"

For those students/former students who failed an exam......this is how your teacher actually felt when you came to complain to them about your exam score. They just didn't tell it to your face......oh, but they were thinking it :)
The student failing is the outcome, how they got there could be for a myriad of reasons, one of which might be effort. You as the instructor would likely have some direct knowledge as to the reasons, but some yahoo off the street or maybe a helicopter parent would not be privy to any of your observations. You would be the coach in this discussion, as such, your judgement is informed—outside parties would not be so informed, so why jump to conclusions without seeking additional understanding. It ain’t deep.

I'm an expert on these boards :o. But I tried coaching a group of 7-8 graders one year ---- never again. Not because of the players, they were great. The parents, not so much.

That's understandable; you were standing in the way of their sons' NBA careers. At the very least, you were costing a poor child a college scholarship.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I dont necessarily disagree with you but I am curious...what do you base that on that he is a “pretty decent young man”
Mostly been following him on twitter since we were recruiting him. I don't interact with him personally, but see what he posts, how he responds to people sometimes. I wish him the best.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Mostly been following him on twitter since we were recruiting him. I don't interact with him personally, but see what he posts, how he responds to people sometimes. I wish him the best.
Always thought from my seat that he was enjoying himself

of course I was way wrong.