MLB 2020 - Let's Play Ball!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yeah... I hear ya but just don't know.

If he plays "well" over 13 years, you have to imagine that the contracts 5-10 years from now might make this look like a good deal.
And if you're a fan who for whatever reason never saw a Series win, I can understand needing a certain number of rings. But if you are entertained for 13 years and Harper plays well, then I think there is some degree of "worth" in that contract.

I haven't thought it all out fully, and I'm suffering a cold so my mind isn't 100% clear this morning anyway, but the older I get the more I appreciate just having a good team that's in contention throughout the season to keep me entertained. If 13 years/$330 M means that my team is still around in August and September for the next decade plus, then I think that contract is "worth it" to me, even if we don't dance on the field at the very end.

I'm curious now to see if we can sign Goldschmidt to an extension!
If there were chances for the Phils to get out of it if Harper sucks.... then it wouldn't be a big deal.... Like if they had made it where.... The Phils could opt out after say Years 5, 8 & 11 or something.... so incase Harper does well the first 5 years... but then years 6-8 he barely hits .250, barely hits 20-25 homers a year, strikes out 150+ times, and ends up on the DL a lot.

Right now they have no ways of getting out of it, if something goes bad. Ask @Mike T how he feels about Bobby Bonilla.... who they are still paying & will be paying 4 years after this Harper deal ends.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If there were chances for the Phils to get out of it if Harper sucks.... then it wouldn't be a big deal.... Like if they had made it where.... The Phils could opt out after say Years 5, 8 & 11 or something.... so incase Harper does well the first 5 years... but then years 6-8 he barely hits .250, barely hits 20-25 homers a year, strikes out 150+ times, and ends up on the DL a lot.

Right now they have no ways of getting out of it, if something goes bad. Ask @Mike T how he feels about Bobby Bonilla.... who they are still paying & will be paying 4 years after this Harper deal ends.
Fair points all around and from @Beirne as well , but I am still mystified by fan obsession with owner/player money. Other than buying tickets occasionally, gear occasionally, and using the MLB app to watch games ($92 a year for all Phillies games)....That's the extent of my investment....what the heck do I care about billionaire owners and crazy rich baseball players.....you do you
also
Harper's AAV is 25-ish per year.....that's not even in the top 10 annual salary?!?! That offers SO MUCH MORE opportunity to add more players, man!! C'mon Trout!!!!

and then there's THIS take....prepare yourself.....

"The Bryce Harper contract is 13 years long, extending through the 2031 season. The Phillies signed an enormous television contract in 2013 that took effect in 2015 and lasts 25 years, through 2040. The deal brings the team $100M (in cash) annually; Harper gets about 25% of that and will be in red pinstripes for just over half of it.

Perhaps of equal importance is that the team now owns 25% of the networks ad revenue which will, like an Ouroboros, feed off itself now that Harper is a Phillie. In other “theoretical” words, Harper’s presence will increase ad revenue which will increase Phillies revenue-share which will pay for Harper. He could basically be creating the very income the Phillies pay him…theoretically."

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/...tact-power-walks-jean-segura-andrew-mccutchen

Overall there is NO ARGUMENT that the Phils just had the best offseason of any team in the history of free agency.....I'm pretty jazzed!!!!

Reactions: Beirne

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Fair points all around and from @Beirne as well , but I am still mystified by fan obsession with owner/player money. Other than buying tickets occasionally, gear occasionally, and using the MLB app to watch games ($92 a year for all Phillies games)....That's the extent of my investment....what the heck do I care about billionaire owners and crazy rich baseball players.....you do you
also
Harper's AAV is 25-ish per year.....that's not even in the top 10 annual salary?!?! That offers SO MUCH MORE opportunity to add more players, man!! C'mon Trout!!!!

and then there's THIS take....prepare yourself.....

"The Bryce Harper contract is 13 years long, extending through the 2031 season. The Phillies signed an enormous television contract in 2013 that took effect in 2015 and lasts 25 years, through 2040. The deal brings the team $100M (in cash) annually; Harper gets about 25% of that and will be in red pinstripes for just over half of it.

Perhaps of equal importance is that the team now owns 25% of the networks ad revenue which will, like an Ouroboros, feed off itself now that Harper is a Phillie. In other “theoretical” words, Harper’s presence will increase ad revenue which will increase Phillies revenue-share which will pay for Harper. He could basically be creating the very income the Phillies pay him…theoretically."

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/...tact-power-walks-jean-segura-andrew-mccutchen

Overall there is NO ARGUMENT that the Phils just had the best offseason of any team in the history of free agency.....I'm pretty jazzed!!!!
I love your excitement! Hats off to the Phils; they are now one of the most (or THE most) interesting team as we go into this new season.

I also agree that my financial responsibility to the team and to these mega-contracts is minimal. I too buy my MLB package, and every few years a new hat. If we make the postseason, I might even splurge and get a new shirt.

My concern is that the Cards too had a new TV deal. That was a couple of years ago. We heard the past two or three hot stove seasons that we were flush with new TV money and could make big deals. But nothing over the top occurred. We whiffed on David Price. We whiffed on Giancarlo Stanton. We signed Marcel Ozuna last year, and we've traded for Paul Goldschmidt this year, but that's about it. The overall team budget has not really ramped up all that much.

So my concern with a mega-contract is that if we were to sign one, I fear we'd have marginal talent surrounding that player. I remember distinctly hearing that after we didn't sign Pujols we had that money to apply to extensions with Molina and Wainright. Had we signed Pujols, we'd have let them go free agency. My fear is that if my team were to sign a mega-contract, we'd have a super star on an otherwise mediocre team, and my summer sports entertainment would be gone.

I'll be watching the Phils and I'll be curious to see if they continue to add on and ramp up the budget to keep a good supporting cast around Harper. Were it the Cards, I don't believe they would do so.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
If anyone is interested in my opinion, been watching him for years. For one thing, I don't like 10+ year deals. That's just me. But, if that's the only way to get a guy, that's his price and you decide if you want to go for it or not. Ya know? I can say I only want to pay x amount for something, but if the cost is y and I really want it, then I have to "overpay."

I have very little doubt his play at the plate will prove the deal was "worth it" if he stays healthy. He's a beast. Sure, he'll have slumps and have to deal with those awful fans (@Half-baked Mcbride excepted), but I think all star caliber is his floor if healthy. That's a big IF though. He's had various issues over the years, none of which indicate any sort of long term ailments.

And then there is the defense. He was borderline bad out there last year, the lack of effort (at times) was obvious. My question is though - was he perhaps either consciously or subconsciously protecting his body with hundreds of millions on the line? Hard to tell. His defense was never stellar - get used to him missing the cutoff man - but it fell off a cliff last year, at least to this eye. I'm guessing he'll be serviceable out there, until he's moved to first base or DH.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Just read this in the STL Post-Dispatch this morning:
(for reference, "Commish" is the nickname for our long-time Hall of Fame sports reporter, Rick Hummell)

QUESTION: Are the recent signings of Machado and Harper, and the Arenado extension, good or bad for the Cardinals trying to sign Goldschmidt this year?

COMMISH: I think they will have very little effect. The Goldschmidt levels are going to be between $25 and $30 million for from four to six years. At 31 already, he is considerably older than the others of which you speak.

Follow-up on Harper: Aside from his greed in wanting the biggest contract in baseball history (soon to be eclipsed by Trout), Harper decided the lesser evil was playing in front of the meanest fans on the planet than paying exorbitant California taxes. Any more complicated than that?

COMMISH: You can't eliminate the taxation issue, although I'm sure Scott Boras and his deep group of experts could work with the California tax problem, too. The Phillies had the makings of a good team before Harper signed and though he hasn't played in a winning playoff series, I sense he suspects the Phillies might give him that chance. They really haven't improved their pitching much, though. And chances are that at least once in 13 years, the Philles' fans will boo Harper. Like when he doesn't run.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/bas...ion_c79ba8ab-c885-57a9-a8a6-add2407039ee.html

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
So, obviously there isn't much to be excited about for the Orioles this year, other than watching some young guys get a chance to play. They have the first pick for 2019, and probably headed that way for 2020 as well.

My question for those in the know....who goes No. 1? For the longest time, Bobby Witt Jr. was THE hands down top pick. While Witt is still consensus top 3, most analysts have shifted toward Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman. They're calling him a slam dunk pick at this point. Some research shows that this kid is unreal, and the safest bet to be a star. Best player for the national champions.

I'm always a bit iffy on high school kids, but have been really excited about Witt ever since it was a given the O's would get the top pick. Now I'm really liking Rutschman based on what I'm reading. Thoughts?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Sorry Harper.... you're not on Top any more

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Sorry Harper.... you're not on Top any more

OMG! TWELVE YEARS?! $430 M?!
We've fallen off the Candy Land board now! Holy Cow!

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
If my team plays to the backs of their baseball cards, then I will be a happy fan this season!

And a second for being ready for this. I've put away my Rams caps and pulled out my STL home and away caps, and am ready to see where this season takes me. And heck, when we hit the postseason it'll be Black & Gold time again. Lord, I love baseball!!!!

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
No complaints as yet.....unlike @buckwheat I am SOOOOOOO Ready For THIS!!!!
I just wish my guys didn’t have to play Boston and NY almost 40 times. I mean, Jesus. Tampa is no slouch either.

Either way, I like watching young guys play. As I’ve always said, I’d much rather watch mistake filled baseball with a few promising kids, rather than mistake filled baseball with uber-wealthy overrated vets any day.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I just wish my guys didn’t have to play Boston and NY almost 40 times. I mean, Jesus. Tampa is no slouch either.

Either way, I like watching young guys play. As I’ve always said, I’d much rather watch mistake filled baseball with a few promising kids, rather than mistake filled baseball with uber-wealthy overrated vets any day.
I hear ya... my Braves gotta deal with Phillies & Nats the same way. And we always have our troubles with the Marlins for some reason.... and the Mets we’ve seemed to have our struggles with since Chipper retired.

But hey, you can’t tell me it wasn’t fun watching the Red Sox get wrecked by the Mariners yesterday. I enjoyed it quite much!