MLB 2020 - Let's Play Ball!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yeah I thought the same thing. Keuchel is another option, but yeah that would make it to good starters, no doubt. Did you know they didn't have a starter pitch 100 innings last year? Crazy.
Not too shocking considering everything that happened. I mean... the only 2 starters that come to mind from their roster last year... Ohtani (who spent most of the year as a DH because he needed TJ Surgery).. and Skaggs (and we all know the tragedy that happened there)…. so yeah It does not shock me at all.

I couldn't even tell you who their other starters were last year.

And I'll be honest.... if I'm the Angels and/or Ohtani… if it were not for the fact Angels need SP so badly... I'd almost make him a permanent OF/DH. Dude has a good bat. Imagine an everyday lineup that has Him, Trout, Rendon & Pujols (even if he is getting old, still producing a decent stat line most years).

Reactions: RonnieDobbs

Mike T

Top Member
Insider
Mar 7, 2013
I couldn't even tell you who their other starters were last year.
They signed Matt Harvey for $11M, but he didn't work out :o! When I heard they gave him $11M, I was shocked. I thought someone would give him a shot for $5M last year.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Top stories in Cardinals camp:
  • Will Carlos Martinez be a starting pitcher (again) this year?
  • Who will step up in LF to replace Marcel Ozuna?
  • Did he, or did he not?! Our hitting coach, Jeff Albert, was formerly a Houston Astros hitting coach. How much did he know???

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
@RonnieDobbs @Beirne @buckwheat @Half-baked Mcbride @Mike T ..... well we are getting closer to the 2020 season finally starting.

Opening Day: July 23rd & 24th

Games: 60.... 40 games against in-division rivals (10 games apiece), and 20 games against the other leagues same division- AL East- NL East, AL Central-NL Central, AL West-NL West

Players who have opted out of 2020 season so far:
Ryan Zimmerman (WAS)
Joe Ross (WAS)
David Price (LAD)
Nick Markakis (ATL)
Felix Hernandez (ATL)
Buster Posey (SFG)
Ian Desmond (COL)

A lot of others have tested positive & a lot of others are on the fence.... so it will remain to be seen what happens

Last edited:

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
@RonnieDobbs @Beirne @buckwheat @Half-baked Mcbride @Mike T ..... well we are getting closer to the 2020 season finally starting.

Opening Day: July 23rd & 24th

Games: 60.... 40 games against in-division rivals (10 games apiece), and 20 games against the other leagues same division- AL East- NL East, AL Central-NL Central, AL West-NL West

Players who have opted out of 2020 season so far:
Ryan Zimmerman (WAS)
Joe Ross (WAS)
David Price (LAD)
Nick Markakis (ATL)
Felix Hernandez (ATL)

A lot of others have tested positive & a lot of others are on the fence.... so it will remain to be seen what happens
Ann odd season that matches perfectly with life since March....It'll be nice to see actual MLB baseball. Can't imagine we'll see SP's really ramping it up or be able to draw and really conclusions on trends/overall numbers.
Lookin forward to seeing Phillies pinstripes, even if Wheeler may or may not pitch. Curious to see how DiDi plays, Always rootin for Roman Quinn to break thru....Cutch returns, Alex Bohm my get a taste....not perfect ot ideal, but I'll take what I can get.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
My @Mariners start the season with 4 games in Houston with the Asterisks and 3 games on the road at Anaheim! 7 road games out of only 60 games to start the season! Thats a disadvantage that only happens with the Seattle Mariners.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
My @Mariners start the season with 4 games in Houston with the Asterisks and 3 games on the road at Anaheim! 7 road games out of only 60 games to start the season! Thats a disadvantage that only happens with the Seattle Mariners.
Yes but think bout this... the last few years... The Mariners have started off the year really good..... then fell apart. Now they have much less time to fall apart.

Rumors have been swirling that Trout may opt out (think his wife is due soon)... not that the Angels are that much of a threat anyway. Astros are loaded with Talent, but they no longer have Cole... and who knows whats going to happen following the backlash from the sign stealing scandal.

I'm actually gonna flip the script & say if theres any year that they could be a threat or atleast break their playoff drought... it could be this year.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Braves sign Yasiel Puig. Interesting move.... and had me scratching my head a little... as to why we need him? Even though Nick Markakis opted out.... here's our OFs that are o the roster before we signed Puig yesterday.

Ronald Acuna Jr.
Adam Duvall (1B/OF)
Ender Inciarte
Marcell Ozuna
Austin Riley (3B/1B /OF)
Charlie Culberson (Utility IF/OF)
Cristen Pache (Rookie) (assuming he makes the roster)

So thats 7 guys basically competing for 3 OF spots & a DH spot.... not counting Puig. Sure there's always the chance of a injury or someone contracting the virus. Including Freeman, currently out right now.... but we also have Yonder Alonso who was signed to a minor league contract as a back up to Freeman at first.

So it'll be interesting to see what happens. See who makes the roster, see what happens health/injury wise.... and see if Puig can control his emotions.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Braves sign Yasiel Puig. Interesting move.... and had me scratching my head a little... as to why we need him? Even though Nick Markakis opted out.... here's our OFs that are o the roster before we signed Puig yesterday.

Ronald Acuna Jr.
Adam Duvall (1B/OF)
Ender Inciarte
Marcell Ozuna
Austin Riley (3B/1B /OF)
Charlie Culberson (Utility IF/OF)
Cristen Pache (Rookie) (assuming he makes the roster)

So thats 7 guys basically competing for 3 OF spots & a DH spot.... not counting Puig. Sure there's always the chance of a injury or someone contracting the virus. Including Freeman, currently out right now.... but we also have Yonder Alonso who was signed to a minor league contract as a back up to Freeman at first.

So it'll be interesting to see what happens. See who makes the roster, see what happens health/injury wise.... and see if Puig can control his emotions.
https://www.mlb.com/news/yasiel-puig-makes-braves-a-better-team

That's one writer's opinion. Says he hits left handers better than Ender and plays better defense than Ozuna. Says possible options could include:
vs. right-handed pitchers: LF Puig; CF Inciarte; RF Acuña; DH Ozuna

vs. left-handed pitchers: LF Adam Duvall; CF Acuña; RF Puig; DH Ozuna

The money quote is from Snitker: "This is not a game played by choir boys."

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
I'm drinking Cardinals' Kool-Aid. In this crazy pandemic year, the teams that have deep pitching have an edge. We have deep pitching.
Let's go, Cards!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Well... opening night of MLB is in the books.... and already 3 headlines

Juan Soto tests positive for Covid-19...
Kershaw on the IL scratched before the game with a back injury... AND
MLB & the Union agree to expanded playoffs for 2020 season.

So here's how the playoffs will look this year.

Instead of 5 teams in each League for a total of 10 playoff teams.... there will now be 8.... for a total of 16 teams
Three Division Winners in each League
2nd place teams in each division in each league
2 best remaining W-L teams in each League.

All ties will be resolved mathematically. No additional games will be played to break any ties. With an expanded postseason field, there is less incentive to play additional games, and this method allows for an expedited schedule that doesn’t push the World Series into November.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable). If that’s also a tie, the next tiebreaker is intradivision record. If that’s still a tie, the next is record in the final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).