MLB 2020, SPRING TRAINING EDITION

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
And to get rid of Bryce Harper..... just ask @RonnieDobbs :lol:
I still root for Harper, I still like him, although I don't have a problem with my fellow Nats fans booing him. To each his own I guess. I wanted him back but understood.

If I were a betting man (I am not), I would bet on Strasburg staying and Rendon leaving. If Rendon does go somewhere else I hope it is out west or in the AL. Seeing him in @Half-baked Mcbride 's Phillies jersey would be difficult. But, of course, the sting would be worse had they not just won the world series.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I still root for Harper, I still like him, although I don't have a problem with my fellow Nats fans booing him. To each his own I guess. I wanted him back but understood.

If I were a betting man (I am not), I would bet on Strasburg staying and Rendon leaving. If Rendon does go somewhere else I hope it is out west or in the AL. Seeing him in @Half-baked Mcbride 's Phillies jersey would be difficult. But, of course, the sting would be worse had they not just won the world series.
I'd have to agree on the Strasburg-Rendon guesses. I don't see how the Nats can let go of the World Series MVP after the year he's had. Plus you got some other solid pieces in that lineup. Soto would obviously be front & center if Rendon leaves... and based on what I saw last year & this year from Soto... I think he could be ready. Biggest thing would be surrounding him with another bat or two. Trea Turner had a good year this year I believe, Robles was pretty solid too. Zimmerman is getting up there in age, not really an every day player anymore, honestly might be better suited for a DH role. Matt Adams is a FA I believe. I don't know Suzuki's contract status but Id def make sure to bring him back if I were yall.

The other big thing for the Nats will be fixing that bullpen.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Yea...Phils have a 3B stud (hopefully) in Alec Bohm who is really close to the manning the hot corner in Philly. Pitching/Pitching/Pitching for us. I wouldn't mind Moustakas on a short deal for 3B. Chuck in a Starlin Castro as well as a super utility guy and/or Billy Hamilton...(Nick WIlliams and Odubel Hererra gots to go....not to mention Roman Quinn (whom I love and is made of glass)

Injuries murdered us in the bullpen and the "wishing" on Pivetta/Velasquez/Eflin has proven to be just that...a wish, and a poor one. I also hope Arrieta digs deep into his pride as a player to really bounce back and be what he was signed to be....
Gimme any of Cole/Stras/Odorizzi/Hamels/Hill....maybe a Matt Moore/Porcello/Gio flyer as well
Gimme any RP named Will, a Diekman return, Chris Martin and his cool story...and a healthy Seranthony/Morgan/Rios.

Prepare for a long and drawn out hot stove!!!!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
So... the Winter Meetings are going on.... and what a big Splash the first couple days.

Strasburg.... 7 years, $245 Million to stay with the Nats
Gerrit Cole.... 9 years $324 Million to the Yankees
Anthony Rendon.... 7 years $245 Million to the Angels
Zack Wheeler.... 5 years $118 Million to the Phillies
Yasmani Grandal…. 4 years $73 Million to the White Sox
Mike Moustakas... 4 years $64 Million to the Reds

@RonnieDobbs you hit the Nail on the head about Strasburg staying & Rendon leaving. What did you think of their deals?

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013

The Cards' approach this offseason.... get better from within.

Looking for small ways to improve the team that fall into our laps...
Another full year with super batting coach Jeff Albert certainly will improve our lagging offense...
We're a pitching-and-fielding-centric team, playing to our strengths...

Boy the outfield grass looks green on that side of the fence..... :oops:

Mike T

Top Member
Insider
Mar 7, 2013

The Cards' approach this offseason.... get better from within.

Looking for small ways to improve the team that fall into our laps...
Another full year with super batting coach Jeff Albert certainly will improve our lagging offense...
We're a pitching-and-fielding-centric team, playing to our strengths...

Boy the outfield grass looks green on that side of the fence..... :oops:
I could see the Cards signing MadBum. The Mets pick ups of Porcello & Wacha are fine, hoping at least 1 finds their former form. Waiting for our new billionaire owner to start spending after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beirne

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
I could see the Cards signing MadBum. The Mets pick ups of Porcello & Wacha are fine, hoping at least 1 finds their former form. Waiting for our new billionaire owner to start spending after this season.
Wacha is really good when he's healthy, but he gets weird thoracic/scapular muscle issues that have nagged him for the last several years. A one-year $3M flier with incentives up to $10M was a good deal for him.

Lord, I hope we don't sign MadBum unless we get a big discount. I fear the team that signs him to a bigger, multi-year deal is signing the MadBum we remember from a few years ago, and not the MadBum of today. Our paper this morning said he's looking at the deals this week and thinking 5-year, $100M. I'd rather bank on some of our prospects. We have had a pretty good farm system for young pitching, and I'd rather see a couple of our AAA guys get a chance before spending that bank.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
So... the Winter Meetings are going on.... and what a big Splash the first couple days.

Strasburg.... 7 years, $245 Million to stay with the Nats
Gerrit Cole.... 9 years $324 Million to the Yankees
Anthony Rendon.... 7 years $245 Million to the Angels
Zack Wheeler.... 5 years $118 Million to the Phillies
Yasmani Grandal…. 4 years $73 Million to the White Sox
Mike Moustakas... 4 years $64 Million to the Reds

@RonnieDobbs you hit the Nail on the head about Strasburg staying & Rendon leaving. What did you think of their deals?
I think they got about what I would have expected. I think they both made a lot of money this past season. Strasburg's postseason alone probably earned him close to 100 mil of that deal. I think Rendon is about as close to a perfect player/teammate as you can get. I'm very bummed he's gone but I don't think anyone did anything wrong. Some of my Nats fan friends disagree. But I'm good with being among the top spenders in baseball.

Boswell had a good column in the Washington Post that I mostly agree with. They are not, and never will be, the Yankees.

The Lerners don’t want to be the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Cubs. Those four teams outdrew them at the gate by an average of 13,404 fans a game last year — almost 50 percent more — and at higher prices. They also have much higher regional sports network revenue.

The Lerners have spent 15 seasons figuring out how to do good business financially, and win games consistently, in D.C. They just won the World Series. They value rationality and sustained competitiveness most. They look for players who will take a “hometown discount” or deferred money, or both, such as Scherzer, Zimmerman and Strasburg.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ce201a-1d24-11ea-b4c1-fd0d91b60d9e_story.html

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I think they got about what I would have expected. I think they both made a lot of money this past season. Strasburg's postseason alone probably earned him close to 100 mil of that deal. I think Rendon is about as close to a perfect player/teammate as you can get. I'm very bummed he's gone but I don't think anyone did anything wrong. Some of my Nats fan friends disagree. But I'm good with being among the top spenders in baseball.

Boswell had a good column in the Washington Post that I mostly agree with. They are not, and never will be, the Yankees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ce201a-1d24-11ea-b4c1-fd0d91b60d9e_story.html
If it were up to you, knowing what the rest of your team looks like currently, and the free agent market & who is/was out there.... If you could only keep 1, who would you have kept? Strasburg or Rendon?

I've heard a lot of mixed reactions on Sports Talk Radio, and if my team were in this situation... it would be tough for me to choose between the 2.

Reactions: RonnieDobbs

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
If it were up to you, knowing what the rest of your team looks like currently, and the free agent market & who is/was out there.... If you could only keep 1, who would you have kept? Strasburg or Rendon?

I've heard a lot of mixed reactions on Sports Talk Radio, and if my team were in this situation... it would be tough for me to choose between the 2.
It's a great question. For me, Strasburg. The team has been built around starting pitching for years now, it's their identity. I say this knowing the risks. He just finished his 8th year post Tommy John. There are those that believe the shelf life of such a player is short. Something changed this year though. I've never seen him so comfortable in his own skin, so confident and relaxed.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
It's a great question. For me, Strasburg. The team has been built around starting pitching for years now, it's their identity. I say this knowing the risks. He just finished his 8th year post Tommy John. There are those that believe the shelf life of such a player is short. Something changed this year though. I've never seen him so comfortable in his own skin, so confident and relaxed.
Interesting take on this..... I'm a bit conflicted on this because, on one hand.... good quality, reliable starting pitching that can get you through at least 6 or 7 innings consistently seems hard to come by. I can probably only name about 20-30 guys that when healthy... that I firmly believe can go out there and get a team 6-7 innings every time they take the mound. (Kershaw, Scherzer, Cole.... just to name a few). Until this past year I would not have thrown Strasburg's name on that list... in large part because of his injury history & then of course the Nats keeping him on a pitch limit for a while. So from that standpoint giving a SP that money helps sure up a rotation & hopefully limits how much the bullpen needs to be used on a given night.

On the other hand, what may be even more rare than quality starting pitching is.... quality hitting.... and by that I mean a guy who can go out there and not only hit for average, but also hit for power & not strike out a million times.... Among qualified 3B in the NL (only 9 total) this past season.... Rendon led the league in RBIs (126), was 4th in Homers (34... behind only Arenado, Donaldson & Escobar in ARI). He also had the highest Batting Average, OBP, OPS, SLG & WAR. And struck out the fewest amount of times among qualified 3B.

All that being said... imo I would've given the money to Rendon first because he's going to be out there more..... Strasburg at best will be out there 30-35 times in a regular season..... Rendon if he stays healthy all year will have at least Triple that number of appearances... and more opportunities to earn his money..... Plus if you have a guy like Rendon in the lineup.... he would give guys like Soto, Robles, Eaton, Turner protection in the lineup (depending on how the lineup is set up)... he'd also give them more RBI opportunities.

And no matter how good your starting pitching may be.... you can't win if you don't score. And the more runs that a team scores in a game.... the less pressure there will be on the manager to have to make a lot of pitching moves through out a game.

Just my opinion.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Just my opinion.
Oh it's a valid one, and probably more popular than mine. It's fun to talk about but all sort of theoretical. I mean, the deals all need context. For one, Strasburg took 80 million in deferred payments, and Rendon's deal with the Angels had no deferred payments, raising the real value of the deal even though the value of the deals are listed the same in reports and for luxury tax calculations. So in this case it may not have been one or the other. Rendon got more.

Secondly, the offseason moves as a whole need to be considered. Say the Nats sign Donaldson and the Angels sign the best pitcher available, MadBum (or maybe Ryu?). Is Rendon and MadBum better than Strasburg and Donaldson? Maybe, maybe not. I will say, the Angels are going nowhere unless they bring MULTIPLE high caliber starters.

I'm just going to pretend you didn't mention the Strasburg shutdown from 2012. I'd prefer to keep thinking highly of you.😀

Edit: Smiley face added. I always unintentionally sound so serious. I swear this is in good fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Oh it's a valid one, and probably more popular than mine. It's fun to talk about but all sort of theoretical. I mean, the deals all need context. For one, Strasburg took 80 million in deferred payments, and Rendon's deal with the Angels had no deferred payments, raising the real value of the deal even though the value of the deals are listed the same in reports and for luxury tax calculations. So in this case it may not have been one or the other. Rendon got more.

Secondly, the offseason moves as a whole need to be considered. Say the Nats sign Donaldson and the Angels sign the best pitcher available, MadBum (or maybe Ryu?). Is Rendon and MadBum better than Strasburg and Donaldson? Maybe, maybe not. I will say, the Angels are going nowhere unless they bring MULTIPLE high caliber starters.

I'm just going to pretend you didn't mention the Strasburg shutdown from 2012. I'd prefer to keep thinking highly of you.😀

Edit: Smiley face added. I always unintentionally sound so serious. I swear this is in good fun.
Well I saw they just signed Julio Teheran to a 1 year deal.... was our opening day starter the last 6 years. Not a bad signing by them... but they will need another quality SP.... and with MadBum going to ARZ... they need to make a move on Ryu.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Well I saw they just signed Julio Teheran to a 1 year deal.... was our opening day starter the last 6 years. Not a bad signing by them... but they will need another quality SP.... and with MadBum going to ARZ... they need to make a move on Ryu.
Yeah I thought the same thing. Keuchel is another option, but yeah that would make it to good starters, no doubt. Did you know they didn't have a starter pitch 100 innings last year? Crazy.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk