MLB HOT STOVE

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Well.... I was hoping to wipe away the last of my tears and start transitioning to baseball today.
I turned on the Cardinals game on my computer, and lo and behold the Mets are creaming us.
Seriously, 15-1 in the 6th inning?! Can't I just suffer a simple 2-1 loss on the day after our Rams end the season? This is just salt in the wound! :evil:

@Mike T , why you do this to me?!

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Baseball is here!!!! Let's go Braves! Can't be much worse than last year.... oh wait yeah we can. We have RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Pirates lose Starling Marte for 80 games (PED Suspension).... big blow for the Pirates. Plus with the new rules implemented by MLB.... if the Pirates somehow make the playoffs... Marte won't be allowed to play then either.

Add that to their 3B Jung Ho Kang (Think I spelled it right).... who has his own issues going on back in his own country and can't get a visa to come back to the states.... they're in some deep trouble.

Unless they go out and get a big bat at a cheap price to back up McCutchen in the line up.... or their pitching somehow gives up 0 runs a game the majority of the season... I don't see the Pirates going anywhere.... and if they somehow make the playoffs they are gone first round.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Cards off to an awful start, but finally have put together back-to-back wins against the Pirates. Let's see if we can turn this ship around...

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Cards off to an awful start, but finally have put together back-to-back wins against the Pirates. Let's see if we can turn this ship around...
Hey even the Cubs got off to a slow start... both the Cubs and your cards (as much as it pains me to say it) will be fine. Between injuries and suspensions to other teams throughout the season y'all will be fine.

Reactions: Beirne

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and throw down my Early Season Predictions for the playoffs.

Lets start off with the NL

NL East- As much I hate saying it... I think the Nationals are going to run away with it. And honestly the way Harper is starting off the season? They are going to be tough to beat. Not completely sold on my Braves yet, and after last night it's obvious the Nats still have our number. Phillies are still rebuilding like us. Not sold on the Marlins pitching... and can Stanton stay healthy for a whole season? And the Mets will compete but I don't see them keeping up with the Nats sparring injuries.

NL Central- Despite decent starts... I'm not sold on the Reds or the Brew crew. I don't think they can keep it up all season. As for the Pirates... it's certainly no Marte Partay right now as he is suspended for 80 games for PED use.... oh and won't be able to play in the postseason, so unless the Pirates go out and sign another bat to give McCutchen some protection in the line up... they are done. They also don't have Jung Ho Kang back yet after his offseason issues and not receiving his Visa to come back to the states yet. Also, I'm not sold completely on the Pirates pitching. Cubs and Cards have gotten off to a slow start.... but I expect both teams to rebound and make the playoffs.... but I'm saying the Cubs will take the Division again, but in a much closer fashion than last year.

NL West- Sparring injuries... I got the Dodgers taking the west. Not really sure what to think about the Rockies.... they got a lot of good bats, and play at the launching pad known as Coors field.... but their pitching worries me from picking them to win the west. D'backs are starting off good... but I don't expect it to last.... Sure they have Greinke & Goldy... but I don't think that will be enough to win the division. Giants are struggling, dealing with quite a few injuries and they just can't seem to get things going right now. And the Padres are.... well the Padres.

Wild Cards- While a team like the D'Backs, Rockies or Marlins could surprise me & make the playoffs... I gotta go with the Mets & Cards to take the Wild Cards.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Now for the AL.... this is a little more interesting

AL West- Switching it up and starting out West.... Texas is starting off struggling big time with Beltre on the DL... Other than Andrus & Mazara (both batting .300 or better)... every other player with at least 20 ABs is batting under .230. Not sold on A's hitting or pitching over the long haul, and while the Angels got some bats... I don't trust their pitching. That leaves me with Seattle & Houston.... I keep wanting to see Seattle break through (by the way it was cool to see Seattle cheering Ichiro on last night even after he hit a HR against his former club at Safeco).... but I don't know how much their pitching can hold up past King Felix & Iwakuma... and whether those 2 can stay healthy all year. I gotta go with the Astros taking the division... all those core young players they got that can hit, and a solid pitching staff... they gotta be the favorites.

AL Central- So coming into today the Tigers lead the Division at 8-6... followed by the Chi Sox, Indians, Royals & Twins all at 7-7. This division obviously could be very close, and who knows which way it's going to go?.... Bullpen & Injuries could very well decide who wins this division. Whichever team can stay healthy the longest and which ever bullpen can avoid blowing a lot of leads could very well win the division. I'm going to go with my gut on this one and say the Indians who are looking to get back to the WS after last year's loss... they will take the division.

AL East- Here's a fun division to look at as well.... well unless you are Toronto right now at 3-11 (only team under .500 at this point so far). Yankees are on a tear right now (a little surprising since Sanchez, Gregorious and now Torreyes... a couple of their young studs are banged up... but Judge has been mashing the ball. Headley & Castro are seeing the ball really well right now. And Romine is doing pretty well filling in for Sanchez. The bullpen right now for the Yanks is doing well too... maybe getting used a little too much tho as Tanaka, Severino, Pineda & Montgomery have all been streaky as far as starters so far.

The O's Bats are quietly doing pretty well right now and picking up the slack for Machado who is struggling right now (.170 average- 8 for 47 on the year). I'm sure he'll turn things around, he just isn't feeling it right now. Looking at the pitching.... Britton is 5-5 on saves.... and the 3 Headed monster of Givens, Bundy and.... (wait for it) Miley are all doing really well with ERAs under 2.50 currently.

The Red Sox are doing pretty well right now at 9-6, 1 GB of the O's & Yanks. And their Bats are hot right now. They have four guys with 40+ ABs batting over .300 right now (Betts, Bogaerts, Benintendi and.... Mitch Moreland). The crazy part is... their team only has 7 Home Runs right now... 3 of which have come from Pablo Sandoval (Batting .224 with 11 K's also). Their starting pitching so far though is what's hurting them. Of their 5 starts who have started more than 1 game for the Sox this year so far... 4 of them have ERA's over 4.50.. the only one who doesn't... Chris Sale (ERA of 1.25 in 3 starts).... and all Red Sox pitchers combined have given up 20 HRs already this year. It'll be interesting to see how Price does when he comes back.

The Rays are hanging around... not wowing a whole lot, but they're right there with the rest of the pack.

I'm gonna take a guess and say the Yanks and their youth movement take the division.

Wild Cards- These will be fun to watch out for especially for AL East & AL Central teams.... My guesses will be the Orioles and the Tigers

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
NL East: Nationals look solid
NL Central: It's hard to repeat, and my Cards are righting the ship. I'll go with my Cards!
NL West: Diamondbacks have been slowly building for the past few seasons. I say they break out this year.

Wildcards: Cubs and Rockies.

AL? Sorry, I don't closely follow the Junior circuit. I'll defer to others' opinions.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
The Chicago Cubs must have figured out baseball’s cheat code last season. After 108 years of failing to defeat the final boss, the Cubs finally conquered all, earning a sweet trophy and a storybook ending.

With the team now looking to defend its title, it’s only fair that they get an 8-bit mashup from the game known for its infamous cheat code. That’s right, the Cubs got an 8-bit Contra mashup, and it takes a lot of shots at the St. Louis Cardinals.

Hey, that was pretty entertaining. The video starts out with what we’re guessing is Jake Arrieta and … Anthony Rizzo? Arrieta is the bearded one, of course. It’s tough to tell from the sprite, but it looks like “Rizzo” gets picked and then proceeds to rampage his way through St. Louis, blasting everything in sight.

The Cardinals jokes are plentiful, and not so subtle here. Among them, we see the following:

• Cardinal fans with fanny packs getting taken out
• Cardinal players being taken out
• An Imo’s Pizza store
• A toasted ravioli billboard
• A reference to the Astros hacking scandal
• A dig at the lack of salads in Midwestern cuisine
• At least two more St. Louis fashion references
• The Arch
• Busch Stadium being invaded by “Rizzo”" data-reactid="27" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">• Actual Cardinals being shot out of the sky
• Cardinal fans with fanny packs getting taken out
• Cardinal players being taken out
• An Imo’s Pizza store
• A toasted ravioli billboard
• A reference to the Astros hacking scandal
• A dig at the lack of salads in Midwestern cuisine
• At least two more St. Louis fashion references
• The Arch
• Busch Stadium being invaded by “Rizzo”

We have a feeling this one might rile up some Cardinals fans. The rivalry between the two teams goes deep, but when you bring regional cuisine into it, things can get personal.
OK... this is just all wrong! Cubs fans are now becoming the 2010's version of RedSox fans. :evil::evil::evil:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Well not only is today Mother's Day.... but my favorite baseball player... Derek Jeter (go ahead and bash me I don't care) is getting his jersey retired today at Yankee Stadium..... the last single digit player for the New York Yankees.

So.... in honor of Derek Jeter getting his jersey retired... I'm going to give you my Top 10 Derek Jeter Moments.... Feel Free to comment on my ordering

Honorable Mentions:
  • RBI Single in Final Career AB (2014)
  • Only Career Grand Slam (2005)
  • Leadoff Home Run in World Series Game 4 (2000)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCWdJxkYAtx3ZRkgTUxn0xUHHaWXRh_Op

My Derek Jeter Top 10 Moments:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCWdJxkYAtx0xoPyq1inKzYg1JfB5H8bH

10. First Career Hit (5/30/1995)
9. First Career Home Run (4/2/1996)
8. Game Winning RBI Single in Final at Bat at Yankee Stadium (9/26/2014)
7. Flips into stand making Amazing Catch- 2001 ALDS (10/15/01)
6. Ridiculous Jump Throw (10/6/98)
5. "Mr. November".... Walk off Home Run in 2001 World Series Game 4 (10/31/01)
4. Passes Lou Gherig to become Yankees All Time Hits Leader (9/11/09)
3. Goes 5 for 5, Homers for 3000th hit (7/9/11)
2. "The Dive" (7/1/04)
1. "The Flip"- ALDS Game 5 (10/13/01)

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Really tough start for my Phillies

Bullpen (last years strength) hot garbage this year
SP's? Meh...Bucholtz hurt (Charlie Morton 2.0), Nola out with back issues, VV scuffling and Hellickson just kinda hangin out with the wet behind the ear rotation

Batting?? Ugh....Howie hurt, Saunders poo poo, Franco blech, Odubel so-so....Altherr and Ceaser Hernandez have been nice.

Still...my Phaith is strong!!!!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Really tough start for my Phillies

Bullpen (last years strength) hot garbage this year
SP's? Meh...Bucholtz hurt (Charlie Morton 2.0), Nola out with back issues, VV scuffling and Hellickson just kinda hangin out with the wet behind the ear rotation

Batting?? Ugh....Howie hurt, Saunders poo poo, Franco blech, Odubel so-so....Altherr and Ceaser Hernandez have been nice.

Still...my Phaith is strong!!!!
Hey I feel your pain.... My Braves have had me on a roller coaster of emotions when it comes to baseball....
  • Started off 1-6.... lost the first game, won the 2nd... then lost 5 straight........
  • then all of a sudden.... Braves win 5 straight (albeit Miami & SD)... that puts us at 6-6 so far
  • Then we lose 6 in a row to the Nats & Phils.... putting us at 6-12
  • Then we win 5 out of 7 between the Mets & Brewers..... putting us at 11-14
  • Then we lose 6 in a row to the Mets, Cardinals & Astros.... putting us at 11-20
  • Now all of a sudden the Braves have won 7 of their last 10 games between the Marlins, Blue Jays & Nationals.... which puts us at 18-23 coming into tonight's game vs the Pirates.

It's been one roller coaster of a ride so far..... and somehow we are doing this with teheran struggling some..... and having aged guys like R.A. Dickey & Bartolo Colon in our starting rotation.

Definitely did not see us competing this year with those 2 guys in the rotation.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hey I feel your pain.... My Braves have had me on a roller coaster of emotions when it comes to baseball....
  • Started off 1-6.... lost the first game, won the 2nd... then lost 5 straight........
  • then all of a sudden.... Braves win 5 straight (albeit Miami & SD)... that puts us at 6-6 so far
  • Then we lose 6 in a row to the Nats & Phils.... putting us at 6-12
  • Then we win 5 out of 7 between the Mets & Brewers..... putting us at 11-14
  • Then we lose 6 in a row to the Mets, Cardinals & Astros.... putting us at 11-20
  • Now all of a sudden the Braves have won 7 of their last 10 games between the Marlins, Blue Jays & Nationals.... which puts us at 18-23 coming into tonight's game vs the Pirates.

It's been one roller coaster of a ride so far..... and somehow we are doing this with teheran struggling some..... and having aged guys like R.A. Dickey & Bartolo Colon in our starting rotation.

Definitely did not see us competing this year with those 2 guys in the rotation.
  • That new Braves stadium is beautiful!
  • I think you're really going to like Matt Adams. He's no Freddie Freeman, but he's a solid first base and good LH bat. He really slimmed down in the off-season, but a little too late. Management had already decided to plant Matt Carpenter at first, and he didn't have much of a shot after that. He should improve with some regular playing time this year.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
  • That new Braves stadium is beautiful!
  • I think you're really going to like Matt Adams. He's no Freddie Freeman, but he's a solid first base and good LH bat. He really slimmed down in the off-season, but a little too late. Management had already decided to plant Matt Carpenter at first, and he didn't have much of a shot after that. He should improve with some regular playing time this year.
Yeah from what I've seen on TV... the stadium is really nice. I've heard parking is a mess though. I def need to go see a game there since I didn't get to see one at Turner Field.

As far as Adams goes... the jury is still out on him. I saw watched him play for the Cards the past few years, and he's a solid player. Like you said... he's no Freddie Freeman... offensively or defensively... Fortunately... we didn't give up too much to get him... unlike the Shelby Miller trade a few years ago (which I'm still pissed about). So at least learned our mistake from that trade. Hopefully Adams can play well til Freeman gets back. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Freeman does come back. Especially if Adams is playing well. Now I think Adams can also play LF right? Maybe when Freeman gets back we can play him in LF some days.