MLB HOT STOVE

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Watching the Braves-Phils on Fox Sports 1 right now..... listening to John Smoltz... and they were talking about McCann.

Glad to see McCann back in a Braves uniform.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
@Beirne @Half-baked Mcbride @RonnieDobbs @buckwheat @Mike T

Alright... time for my early season predictions for who wins the divisions, and who wins the World Series, and early season predictions for MVP Awards.

AL MVP I'm going with Mike Trout (I know really going out on a limb on this one). NL MVP I'm going Christian Yelich.

AL Predictions
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- I'm going with the Twins
AL West- Mariners.... this is their year to break through, win the division & Make the playoffs for the first time since 2001.
AL Wild Cards- Astros & Indians... both teams starting off a little sluggish but I think they will get their act together & be a force to reckoned with.

Also not buying into this hot start by the Orioles or Rays just yet.

Yes I'm taking a chance and saying the defending WS champs miss the playoffs

ALCS- Yankees defeat the Astros.

NL Predictions
NL East- as much as it pains me to say it... Phillies (You're welcome @Half-baked Mcbride)
NL Central- Brewers
NL West- Dodgers
NL Wild Cards- Braves & Mets (you're welcome @Mike T).. I think that Cano pickup will be huge (assuming he doesn't fail another test).

NLCS- Brewers defeat Dodgers

World Series.... Yankees defeat Brewers in 7.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I don’t see the NL East getting three teams in the playoffs. The Cubs and Brewers are both better than Mets and Braves top to bottom.

Im not sure Atlanta and NY are even better than the Nats.

I’ll go with Atlanta/Washington/Chicago/Milwaukee for two wild card spots. Mets aren’t seeing the postseason.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I don’t see the NL East getting three teams in the playoffs. The Cubs and Brewers are both better than Mets and Braves top to bottom.

Im not sure Atlanta and NY are even better than the Nats.

I’ll go with Atlanta/Washington/Chicago/Milwaukee for two wild card spots. Mets aren’t seeing the postseason.
who you got winning the Central? Cubs / Brewers with the other taking a WC spot likely I guess?

And Hey I went out on a limb on some of them... I feel like Cubs are gonna hit a bump somewhere which could lead to a rough season... and honestly I think the Nats are gonna be bad this year. Sure they got Soto who had a phenomenal rookie year last year & Robles who seems to be pretty good.... the problem comes after that.... Rendon is good but lately has trouble staying healthy, Zimmerman always has trouble staying healthy... Eaton is solid if he stays healthy.... but hasn't played more than 95 games since 2016. Dozier & Adams could be either be really good or really bad... lately they've been bad.

Then you go to their pitching.... We all know about Scherzer, Corbin is a solid # 2 guy... but the rest of that rotation is a Mystery. Every year Strasburg has injury issues, and he honestly hasn't truly been himself since early in his career. Then you got Sanchez, who you never know what you will get from him. In 24 starts last year he went 7-6. and in years prior to last year.... he's usually had over a 4.00 ERA every year... some years even over 5.00 or 6.00.

I'm just not sold on them at all.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
who you got winning the Central? Cubs / Brewers with the other taking a WC spot likely I guess?

And Hey I went out on a limb on some of them... I feel like Cubs are gonna hit a bump somewhere which could lead to a rough season... and honestly I think the Nats are gonna be bad this year. Sure they got Soto who had a phenomenal rookie year last year & Robles who seems to be pretty good.... the problem comes after that.... Rendon is good but lately has trouble staying healthy, Zimmerman always has trouble staying healthy... Eaton is solid if he stays healthy.... but hasn't played more than 95 games since 2016. Dozier & Adams could be either be really good or really bad... lately they've been bad.

Then you go to their pitching.... We all know about Scherzer, Corbin is a solid # 2 guy... but the rest of that rotation is a Mystery. Every year Strasburg has injury issues, and he honestly hasn't truly been himself since early in his career. Then you got Sanchez, who you never know what you will get from him. In 24 starts last year he went 7-6. and in years prior to last year.... he's usually had over a 4.00 ERA every year... some years even over 5.00 or 6.00.

I'm just not sold on them at all.
I don't agree with a lot of this but what does it matter if the bullpen can't get anyone out.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
@Beirne @Half-baked Mcbride @RonnieDobbs @buckwheat @Mike T

Alright... time for my early season predictions for who wins the divisions, and who wins the World Series, and early season predictions for MVP Awards.

AL MVP I'm going with Mike Trout (I know really going out on a limb on this one). NL MVP I'm going Christian Yelich.

AL Predictions
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- I'm going with the Twins
AL West- Mariners.... this is their year to break through, win the division & Make the playoffs for the first time since 2001.
AL Wild Cards- Astros & Indians... both teams starting off a little sluggish but I think they will get their act together & be a force to reckoned with.

Also not buying into this hot start by the Orioles or Rays just yet.

Yes I'm taking a chance and saying the defending WS champs miss the playoffs

ALCS- Yankees defeat the Astros.

NL Predictions
NL East- as much as it pains me to say it... Phillies (You're welcome @Half-baked Mcbride)
NL Central- Brewers
NL West- Dodgers
NL Wild Cards- Braves & Mets (you're welcome @Mike T).. I think that Cano pickup will be huge (assuming he doesn't fail another test).

NLCS- Brewers defeat Dodgers

World Series.... Yankees defeat Brewers in 7.
The season is long and frequently unpredictable. And I'm never good at the predictions game anyway, so with that in mind here ya go!

AL Predictions
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- Twins
AL West- A's
AL Wild Cards- Red Sox, Mariners

ALCS- Yankees defeat the Mariners.

NL Predictions
NL East- Phillies
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- Rockies
NL Wild Cards- Brewers, Cubs

NLCS- Cardinals defeat the Phillies

World Series.... Cardinals defeat the Yankees in 6.

NL MVP: Paul Goldschmidt
AL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Just out of curiosity... which parts do you not agree with?
1) The Nats are going to be bad.
2) Rendon has trouble staying healthy. (not sure where this came from)
3) Adams has been bad. (not against right handed pitching)
4) Stras has not been himself. (He's adjusted to reduced velocity and pitched quite well)
5) Sanchez. (who cares about records these days. He has altered his approach, which bodes well for him coming close to his very good 2018)
6) Dozier has been bad. (not in the field, where they had terrible defense last year from Murphy. They also have Howie Kendrick and highly regarded prospect Kieboom)

I mean, sure, some of the Nats have had injury concerns in recent years (including Bryce Harper). Turner's been relatively healthy and now he's out. I don't think you can predict injuries. I like their roster and think it will contend...sure, if healthy, like every other team.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Going to my first Braves game in a couple years tomorrow up in DC against those pesky Nats.

Last night stunk as Keuchel got off to a good start and had a 3-0 lead... but then gave up 4 runs in the 4th & 5th innings.... and the Braves couldn't muster up any offense after the 3rd inning.

Oh well.... Pitching matchup tomorrow should be really good.... Mike Soroka vs Patrick Corbin (who's struggled a little bit, but had a very good outing the last time he was on the mound).

Hoping the Braves can pull off the W.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
MLB All Star Rosters are announced!!!

NL League Starters
C- Wilson Contreras (Cubs)
1B- Freddie Freeman (Braves)
2B- Ketel Marte (D'Backs)
SS- Javier Baez (Cubs)
3B- Nolan Arenado (Rockies)
OF- Christian Yelich (Brewers)
OF- Cody Bellinger (Dodgers)
OF- Ronald Acuna Jr. (Braves)

Reserves
C- Yasmani Grandal (Brewers)
C- J.T. Realmuto (Phillies)
1B- Pete Alonso (Mets)
1B- Josh Bell (Pirates)
2B- Mike Moustakas (Brewers)
SS- Paul DeJong (Cardinals)
SS- Trevor Story (Rockies)
3B- Anthony Rendon (Nationals)
3B- Kris Bryant (Cubs)
OF- Charlie Blackmon (Rockies)
OF- David Dahl (Rockies)
OF- Jeff McNeil (Mets)

NL Pitchers
Walker Buehler (Dodgers)
Luis Castillo (Reds)
Jacob DeGrom (Mets)
Zack Greinke (D'Backs)
Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers)
Hyun-Jin Ryu (Dodgers)
Max Scherzer (Nationals)
Mike Soroka (Braves)
Sandy Alcantara (Marlins)
Josh Hader (Brewers)
Will Smith (Giants)
Kirby Yates (Padres)

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
AL All Star Starters
C- Gary Sanchez (Yankees)
1B- Carlos Santana (Indians)
2B- DJ LeMahieu (Yankees)
SS- Jorge Polanco (Twins)
3B- Alex Bregman (Astros)
OF- Mike Trout (Angels)
OF- George Springer (Astros)
OF- Michael Brantley (Astros)
DH- Hunter Pence (Rangers)

Reserves
C- James McCann (White Sox)
1B- Jose Abreu (White Sox)
1B- Daniel Vogelbach (Mariners)
2B- Whit Merrifield (Royals)
2B- Tommy La Stella (Angels)
SS- Francisco Lindor (Indians)
3B- Matt Chapman (Athletics)
OF- Mookie Betts (Red Sox)
OF- Austin Meadows (Rays)
OF- Joey Gallo (Rangers)
DH- J.D. Martinez (Red Sox)

AL Pitchers
Gerrit Cole (Astros)
Lucas Giolito (White Sox)
John Means (Orioles)
Mike Minor (Rangers)
Charlie Morton (Rays)
Jake Odorizzi (Twins)
Marcus Stroman (Blue Jays)
Justin Verlander (Astros)
Aroldis Chapman (Yankees)
Shane Greene (Tigers)
Brad Hand (Indians)
Ryan Pressly (Astros)

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
@Beirne @Half-baked Mcbride @Mike T @buckwheat @RonnieDobbs

Trade deadline is 2 days away..... we've already seen 1 big trade (took me by surprise)…. Marcus Stroman to the Mets (WTF?) Mind you, the Mets are 11.5 GB in the Division & 6 GB in the Wild Card coming into today..... and rumors are they are taking offers on their closer Diaz & maybe even Synderguard?

So my questions are....
1. Do they think they still got a shot at a WC?... they are 10-5 since the All star break, but they would need to jump 5-6 teams to get to a WC Spot.

2a. If the answer to #1 is yes, then the Stroman trade makes sense.... but then why would you still be taking offers on Diaz & Synderguard?
2b. If the answer to #1 is no, then what is the purpose of the Stroman trade? Is it just to keep him away from a team like the Yankees (or another division foe)? Is it a situation where you trade for him now, but looking toward next year?

Just struck me as a bit odd.

@Mike T do you have a theory on this?