MLB HOT STOVE

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
@Beirne @Half-baked Mcbride @Mike T @buckwheat @RonnieDobbs

Trade deadline is 2 days away..... we've already seen 1 big trade (took me by surprise)…. Marcus Stroman to the Mets (WTF?) Mind you, the Mets are 11.5 GB in the Division & 6 GB in the Wild Card coming into today..... and rumors are they are taking offers on their closer Diaz & maybe even Synderguard?

So my questions are....
1. Do they think they still got a shot at a WC?... they are 10-5 since the All star break, but they would need to jump 5-6 teams to get to a WC Spot.

2a. If the answer to #1 is yes, then the Stroman trade makes sense.... but then why would you still be taking offers on Diaz & Synderguard?
2b. If the answer to #1 is no, then what is the purpose of the Stroman trade? Is it just to keep him away from a team like the Yankees (or another division foe)? Is it a situation where you trade for him now, but looking toward next year?

Just struck me as a bit odd.

@Mike T do you have a theory on this?
Here is one, for what it is worth. I agree it is odd.
At first glance, it’s a somewhat puzzling acquisition for a team that doesn’t boast an especially deep farm system and yet isn’t in a position to contend immediately. However, there may be more moves on the horizon. As has been speculated, Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler, and Edwin Diaz will be in high demand for contenders, meaning that New York could strengthen the farm system by dealing away those assets. Adding Stroman affords increased flexibility to sell off Major League talent while remaining competitive.

Syndergaard in particular would likely command a more impressive prospect haul than Stroman, so perhaps the Mets’ thinking is that, in trading Syndergaard and acquiring Stroman, the improvements to its prospect pool will offset any dropoff in pitching and allow the team to remain competitive while capitalizing on the value of existing assets. Of course, the Mets may demand Major-League ready pieces in exchange for Syndergaard, supporting the notion that the club plans to avoid a rebuild.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Here is one, for what it is worth. I agree it is odd.
Certainly an interesting (and I use that word loosely) idea.... I just don't know many teams that would make the move for stroman like the mets did, if they think they are out of it this year... unless it was one of the scenarios I listed above... even then it's still odd.

Reactions: RonnieDobbs

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Certainly an interesting (and I use that word loosely) idea.... I just don't know many teams that would make the move for stroman like the mets did, if they think they are out of it this year... unless it was one of the scenarios I listed above... even then it's still odd.
Well the assumption in the mlbtraderumors link is that they are out of it and will trade away some players this week. Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Syndergaard has 2 arbitration years left, Stroman 1. Would the difference in prospect returns be greater than the difference in quality between Stroman and Noah? Don't answer, just wondering. Obviously its hard to quantify this stuff.

Maybe they think Syndergaard will get more than they are willing to pay in arbitration? That doesn't make sense either.

I dunno man

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Trade deadline has come & gone... glad to see my Braves made some moves to get bullpen help.... hope the moves turn out to be good ones.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Trade deadline has come & gone... glad to see my Braves made some moves to get bullpen help.... hope the moves turn out to be good ones.
Yeah they did. My Nats did what they could, adding mediocre relievers ("average" would be a significant upgrade). Nats need to bite the bullet, pay the piper and every other cliche by staying under the CBT (luxury tax). I endorse this approach. Can't keep kicking the can, the penalties get progressively worse, and not just monetary (draft picks). Your team is indeed looking good for the division (as they say, gotta play the games on the field though).

How about the Mets though? Everyone was wrong, they just picked up a quality starter for this year and next, just to improve. How very un-Mets like.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yeah they did. My Nats did what they could, adding mediocre relievers ("average" would be a significant upgrade). Nats need to bite the bullet, pay the piper and every other cliche by staying under the CBT (luxury tax). I endorse this approach. Can't keep kicking the can, the penalties get progressively worse, and not just monetary (draft picks). Your team is indeed looking good for the division (as they say, gotta play the games on the field though).

How about the Mets though? Everyone was wrong, they just picked up a quality starter for this year and next, just to improve. How very un-Mets like.
Yeah the Mets picking up Stroman, holding on to Synderguard & Diaz.... just shocked the crap out of me... but what do I know? Now they are only 4 games out of the WC... and look at the teams of ahead of them.... Nats & Phils.... Brewers & Cubs, Giants & DBacks.... so the Mets while they gotta take care of their own business & win games.... you got a bunch of teams that are going to be beating up on each other the rest of the way. So if the Mets take care of their own business, if their manager stays out of the media for being an idiot.... they could certainly sneak back up in the Wild card.

Basically the Mets are going to become huge Dodgers, Cardinals..... and wait for it.... Braves fans (yes I said it @Mike T) in any games that the Mets are not playing those 3 teams.

Since the all star break, the Mets are 13-5..... so they've certainly been on fire as of late. The month of August will be a really interesting watch for the NL especially.

Mike T

Top Member
Insider
Mar 7, 2013

Trade deadline is 2 days away..... we've already seen 1 big trade (took me by surprise)…. Marcus Stroman to the Mets (WTF?) Mind you, the Mets are 11.5 GB in the Division & 6 GB in the Wild Card coming into today..... and rumors are they are taking offers on their closer Diaz & maybe even Synderguard?

So my questions are....
1. Do they think they still got a shot at a WC?... they are 10-5 since the All star break, but they would need to jump 5-6 teams to get to a WC Spot.

2a. If the answer to #1 is yes, then the Stroman trade makes sense.... but then why would you still be taking offers on Diaz & Synderguard?
2b. If the answer to #1 is no, then what is the purpose of the Stroman trade? Is it just to keep him away from a team like the Yankees (or another division foe)? Is it a situation where you trade for him now, but looking toward next year?

Just struck me as a bit odd.

@Mike T do you have a theory on this?
They figured they'd win 13 out of 14 & get to a half game of the 2nd wild card! :lol: LFGM!!

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Hey @buckwheat someone posted a video of the Sister Sledge song "We are Family" in the Banks thread, and I got flashbacks to 1979, as I always do when that song comes up. It was the Pirates' theme song and every time I hear it, or references to Stargell Stars I'm reminded they beat my (then) beloved Orioles in seven and I want to throw up. God I hate that song.

Reactions: buckwheat

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013

10 days left in the regular season after today. who is y'all's early predictions for the World Series? I think it's gonna be Astros Dodgers.... though I want the Braves to make it.
Didn't you hear? The Cards are in the playoffs now. We're playing a best of seven series with the Cubs. Four games in Chicago this weekend, and then three games in StL next weekend. The winner is likely the NL Central champion and advances to the next round, a five game series against your Bravos!

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Oh, and I'm rooting for Brewers/Nationals vs Dodgers.
I cannot make an educated statement regarding the Junior Circuit..... Other than that I'm happy to see the Red Sox are out of it! ?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Didn't you hear? The Cards are in the playoffs now. We're playing a best of seven series with the Cubs. Four games in Chicago this weekend, and then three games in StL next weekend. The winner is likely the NL Central champion and advances to the next round, a five game series against your Bravos!
Actually it's no official yet for your Cards. Only 3 games up on the Brewers & 4 up on the Cubs. And for what it's worth, you're only 2 games up on the Nats. With about 10 games left go.... if the Cubs (who have 6 games left with the Cards) & Brewers get hot, and the Nats stay on track, You guys could find yourself on the outside looking in.

That being said, I don't trust the Cubs who have now lost 3 in a row & lost 2 out of 3 at home to the Reds. And I don't think the Brewers can run the Table (despite the easy remaining schedule) which is probably the only see the Cards not winning the division. And the Nats have a tricky schedule sort of. They got 3 on the road in Miami... shouldn't be too much of a problem... but then they end with 5 against Philly (a rival) and 3 against the Indians.... who still have a lot to play for.

Oh, and I'm rooting for Brewers/Nationals vs Dodgers.
I cannot make an educated statement regarding the Junior Circuit..... Other than that I'm happy to see the Red Sox are out of it! ?
In the NL, I'm Pulling for anyone not named the Nats, Cards or Dodgers. So basically that narrows it down to either the Cubs or Brewers.... and of course my Bravos!

AL is interesting.....
MIN leads the world in Homers, but probably also leads the world in K's (from a batter perspective).... not really sure what to expect from their pitching staff.

Oakland has been up and down more than a Roller Coaster, and neither Tampa nor Cleveland really make me think they will make any noise in the playoffs.

That leaves me with the Yankees & the Astros. Biggest question mark to me is how do the Yankees set up their rotation & their Bullpen? Yankees just lost German for the rest of the year at least (due to a domestic violence investigation). And they lost Betances due to injury for the rest of the season too. Then you have C.C. who hasn't pitched 5 innings or more since July 16th, and he hasn't recorded a Win since June 24.... so surely you can't have him in your rotation, and maybe not even on the postseason roster.

I'm honestly expecting a Dodgers-Astros WS.... but I'd rather my Braves get there and win.

Reactions: Beirne

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009

10 days left in the regular season after today. who is y'all's early predictions for the World Series? I think it's gonna be Astros Dodgers.... though I want the Braves to make it.
I'm not really big on predictions. But Astros and Dodgers, along with the Yankees have been the best teams all year. One could argue your Braves are in their class.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I'm not really big on predictions. But Astros and Dodgers, along with the Yankees have been the best teams all year. One could argue your Braves are in their class.
We got the potential.... just gotta figure out the rotation.... who to start where & when.... and gotta make sure our bullpen is ready. That's been our biggest question mark this year.

Yankees gonna have some issues in the postseason without their best starter, their closer & with C.C. not even a shell of his former self right now