MLB HOT STOVE

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Actually it's no official yet for your Cards. Only 3 games up on the Brewers & 4 up on the Cubs. And for what it's worth, you're only 2 games up on the Nats. With about 10 games left go.... if the Cubs (who have 6 games left with the Cards) & Brewers get hot, and the Nats stay on track, You guys could find yourself on the outside looking in.

That being said, I don't trust the Cubs who have now lost 3 in a row & lost 2 out of 3 at home to the Reds. And I don't think the Brewers can run the Table (despite the easy remaining schedule) which is probably the only see the Cards not winning the division. And the Nats have a tricky schedule sort of. They got 3 on the road in Miami... shouldn't be too much of a problem... but then they end with 5 against Philly (a rival) and 3 against the Indians.... who still have a lot to play for.

In the NL, I'm Pulling for anyone not named the Nats, Cards or Dodgers. So basically that narrows it down to either the Cubs or Brewers.... and of course my Bravos!

AL is interesting.....
MIN leads the world in Homers, but probably also leads the world in K's (from a batter perspective).... not really sure what to expect from their pitching staff.

Oakland has been up and down more than a Roller Coaster, and neither Tampa nor Cleveland really make me think they will make any noise in the playoffs.

That leaves me with the Yankees & the Astros. Biggest question mark to me is how do the Yankees set up their rotation & their Bullpen? Yankees just lost German for the rest of the year at least (due to a domestic violence investigation). And they lost Betances due to injury for the rest of the season too. Then you have C.C. who hasn't pitched 5 innings or more since July 16th, and he hasn't recorded a Win since June 24.... so surely you can't have him in your rotation, and maybe not even on the postseason roster.

I'm honestly expecting a Dodgers-Astros WS.... but I'd rather my Braves get there and win.
I have some friends I play pickup basketball with, and we're considering making a road trip to Atlanta Oct 3-4 if the Cards do face the Braves. It's only a seven hour drive from Roanoke. If you can make it down there, let me know and I'll buy you a beer! ? :D

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I have some friends I play pickup basketball with, and we're considering making a road trip to Atlanta Oct 3-4 if the Cards do face the Braves. It's only a seven hour drive from Roanoke. If you can make it down there, let me know and I'll buy you a beer! ? :D
If I could I would.... but prob won't be able to.

Reactions: Beirne

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
I'd watch out for my Nats...they have first rate starters, an excellent lineup, pretty good defense....aaaand one of the worst bullpens in MLB history.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
QUESTION: How do the Cards match up with the Braves?

COMMISH: Not many teams match up with the Braves, who can throw Freeman, Acuna Jr. and Donaldson at you from a power standpoint. Atlanta is a better-than-average defensive team, but the Cardinals have a clear edge in the bullpen. If they are close or ahead late, the Cardinals can win the series. But can they keep the Braves off the board enough to make that happen? Atlanta clearly gets more production from its lineup than the Cardinals do.

Follow-up: The Atlanta draw is better than having to play LA in the first round. If the Cards can get past Atlanta, they'd have a better shot at beating the Dodgers a 7-game series.

COMMISH: I think most fans would agree, but the Braves are not to be dismissed. They are above average in most categories, except perhaps their bullpen, which has been revamped, but still is a question mark. It cost them against the Dodgers last year but I think it might be a little better than it was.

Rick Hummel is an American author and sports columnist best known for his work for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Hummel was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York in 2007 when he was honored with the J. G. Taylor Spink Award for baseball writing.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Whatever happens, it has been a remarkable few months for the Nationals. On May 23, the Mets had just finished a four game sweep and the Nats were 12 games under .500.

Most wins in MLB since that day:
Astros 70
Yankees 70
Dodgers 69
Nationals 69

Last night they got to celebrate making the playoffs after the awful start, a feat only 2 other teams have done ever. The bullpen is still bad and they have several key players less than 100% including their ace and their closer. But no one can take away these last few months - Nats fans watched a lot of really fun-to-watch baseball.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Here we go.... playoffs are set

National League
1. Dodgers (NL West Champ, Clinched home field through NL playoffs)
2. Braves (NL East Champ)
3. Cardinals (NL Central Champ)
WC #1- Nationals
WC #2- Brewers

Wild Card Game- Brewers @ Nationals- Tuesday Ocotber 1- 8 PM (TBS)

NLDS
Wild Card Winner @ Dodgers (Game 1)- Thursday October 3rd- TBD (TBS)
Cardinals @ Braves (Game 1)- Thursday October 3rd- TBD (TBS)

American League
1. Astros (AL West Champ, Clinched Home field through out AL Playoffs & World Series)
2. Yankees (AL East Champ)
3. Twins (AL Central Champ)
WC #1- Athletics
WC #2- Rays

Wild Card Game- Rays @ Athletics- Wednesday October 2nd- 8 PM (ESPN)

ALDS
Wild Card Winner @ Astros (Game 1)- Friday October 4th- TBD (FS1 or MLB Network)
Twins @ Yankees (Game 1)- Friday October 4th- TBD (FS1 or MLB Network)

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Probably gonna be dead wrong on most of these.... but here goes nothing.

MLB Post season predictions

WC Game
Brewers beat the Nats (NL)
A's beat Rays (AL)

Division Series
Dodgers beat Brewers in 4 games
Braves beat Cardinals in 5 games (wishful thinking I know @Beirne)
Yankees beat Twins in 4 games (Going out on a limb on this.... don't really trust Yanks Rotation)
Astros sweep the A's in 3 games

Championship Series
Dodgers beat Braves in 6 games (NLCS)
Astros beat the Yankees in 5 games (ALCS)…. (Giving the Yanks a shot to win 1 game... no more than that).

World Series
Astros Beat Dodgers in 6 games

Reactions: Beirne

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
I'm not gonna do the whole head/heart thing again this year....
This is just what I'd like to see!
  • Nats beat the Brew Crew
  • A's beat the Rays
  • Cards beat the Bravos (back at ya @RowdyPkunk! :D )
  • Nats beat the Dodgers
  • Yanks beat the Twinkies
  • A's beat the 'Stros
  • Cards beat the Nats (sorry @RonnieDobbs )
  • Yanks beat the A's
  • Cards beat the Yanks in seven
    • Jack Flaherty is the MVP and the comparisons to Bob Gibson, 1964 Cardinals beating the Yankees are made

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
The season is long and frequently unpredictable. And I'm never good at the predictions game anyway, so with that in mind here ya go!

AL Predictions
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- Twins

AL West- A's
AL Wild Cards- Red Sox, Mariners

ALCS- Yankees defeat the Mariners.

NL Predictions
NL East- Phillies
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- Rockies
NL Wild Cards- Brewers, Cubs

NLCS- Cardinals defeat the Phillies

World Series.... Cardinals defeat the Yankees in 6.

NL MVP: Paul Goldschmidt
AL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
My original preseason predictions weren't too bad....
Three divisions correct, one wildcard, and one division prediction ended up a wildcard.
Oh, and my World Series prediction is still a possibility! ?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I'm not gonna do the whole head/heart thing again this year....
This is just what I'd like to see!
  • Nats beat the Brew Crew
  • A's beat the Rays
  • Cards beat the Bravos (back at ya @RowdyPkunk! :D )
  • Nats beat the Dodgers
  • Yanks beat the Twinkies
  • A's beat the 'Stros
  • Cards beat the Nats (sorry @RonnieDobbs )
  • Yanks beat the A's
  • Cards beat the Yanks in seven
    • Jack Flaherty is the MVP and the comparisons to Bob Gibson, 1964 Cardinals beating the Yankees are made
If we're doing what we'd like to see.... here's how mine would be

• Brewers over Nats- not only cause the Nats are a rival, but Milwaukee hasn't been in the hunt for a WS in ages it feels like.
  • A's over Rays
  • Braves over Cards (@Beirne you guys have won several WS since the last time the Braves even won a Postseason Series (2001)... you had your time, our time now.)
  • Yanks over Twins
  • A's over Astros (Astros won a WS a few years ago, A's haven't won in like 30 years.)
  • Braves over Brewers
  • Yanks over As
  • Braves over Yanks in 7 games.... a WS that would feature a lot of bright young stars Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Judge, Torres, Sanchez, Urshela.
    • Nick Markakis gets WS MVP & rides off into the sunset. The dude has been a really good player for both @buckwheat's O's & my Braves.... he deserves a World Series Ring as much as the next person.... and the year he had last year in 2018.... honestly should have gained more MVP Consideration.

Reactions: buckwheat

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Ummmmm.... yeah....... we’ll see......
I'm honestly shocked we are now up 2-1... after the way we lost Game 1, and where yall had your Ace in Game 2... I figured yall were going to shut us down and be up 2-0 going into today. Our only saving grace today was Wainwright's pitch count got high and had to come out in the 8th inning.... cause he was mowing us down for the most part.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.